Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

How many homeless beds can the moat accommodate?...the one that was there two weeks ago is still there I see. Far west end next to the wall.

How many homeless beds can the moat accommodate?...the one that was there two weeks ago is still there I see. Far west end next to the wall.

I hope this does not become too much of an issue once the moat is complete. I have nothing against the homeless but the moat is not a proper shelter, it is private property and no different than them sleeping in a subway station or in a financial district stairwell.

If people think they can turn the newly covered moat into their own private residence no doubt Union Station security or TPS will ask them to move along. Eventually someone will complain and homeless taking up residence will be deemed a safety hazard.

I hope this does not become too much of an issue once the moat is complete. I have nothing against the homeless but the moat is not a proper shelter, it is private property and no different than them sleeping in a subway station or in a financial district stairwell.

If people think they can turn the newly covered moat into their own private residence no doubt Union Station security or TPS will ask them to move along. Eventually someone will complain and homeless taking up residence will be deemed a safety hazard.
I assume that, once they are complete, the Moats will be patrolled by regular Union Station security and that they will ask anyone 'camping out' there to 'move along' - just as they already do with any who try to do this in the main building. I also assume the moats will be open same hours as Union Station/TTC and not 24/7.

My guess is the status of the moats will probably be like the teamways. On another note - I find intentional blocking of the Bay/Front sidewalks around the station really annoying, and that the intersection has some of the most egregious and blatant traffic violations by both vehicles and pedestrians in the city - it almost warrant a full-time traffic cop there.

AoD

Last edited:

I don’t think that Union is an appropriate shelter but curious how we can define Union Station as “private property”......it is the very definition of “public property” (again, not saying all public property is appropriate shelter space).

I don’t think that Union is an appropriate shelter but curious how we can define Union Station as “private property”......it is the very definition of “public property” (again, not saying all public property is appropriate shelter space).
It is not 'private' as it belongs to the City now but the City can still make its spaces only accessible during certain hours. City Hall closes, Union Station closes, TTC stations close and parks are, in theory, closed overnight.

I saw a homeless guy hanging out in the northwest PATH connection last weekend. Who's responsible for patrolling that? Union Station Security too? Is that who the "emergency" buttons there would connect to? The rest of the PATH is watched over by the various buildings it passes through, I'm pretty sure. So... considering this doesn't pass through a building, who looks after it?

They are sleeping on top of the moat...right on the glass. Nobody has told them to move along and likely nobody ever will.

Condition of the Bay concourse on Feb. 13, 2018
DSC_0060[1].JPG
DSC_0061[1].JPG
DSC_0062[1].JPG
DSC_0060[1].JPG
DSC_0061[1].JPG
DSC_0062[1].JPG
DSC_0063[1].JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0060[1].JPG
    DSC_0060[1].JPG
    165 KB · Views: 548