News   Apr 26, 2024
 222     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 170     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 613     0 

Yonge-Dundas Square/Sankofa Square (Brown + Storey Architects)

So what's the point of this? Just a bigger taller sign..? Also do they plan on replacing the canopy? I was a nice spot to stand under when it was raining if you were in the square.
To block out the Sam's sign from the south/west corner of Yonge/Dundas maybe? It's not like anyone cares about the sign anyway!

Took a pic of the application posted on site, the larger corner signs actually span the first and second storeys and the smaller ones (5 on the North side, 2 on the West side) run between the first and second storey. View attachment 134851View attachment 134851
That should be turned down. The signs should not be any larger than the second floor window panes, and even then… no thanks.

Why is that so badly done? It looks ugly, from the cement poles to the clearly visible metal brackets holding it up. This really makes that corner look ugly! It could have easily been handled so much better.

It's clear that nobody on city council gives a hoot about what this city looks like. There is no excuse for this!

I'm sorry that sign just looks out of place. Its poor integration into the fabric of the Square sticks out like a sore thumb.

Is it unfinished? It looks that way to me. Why not at least cover the poles with the same metal used on the columns holding up the large canopy? Why not surround the inner workings with a metal mesh, to hide the clutter inside? It would have added very little cost to the structure and would have looked much more professional and polished. That's just at a minimum!

Is it too much to ask for something on par with other major cities around the world? This is just another nail in the coffin for Dundas Square, which started with Metropolis and went downhill from there!

Dundas Square was never meant to be a beautiful park, it was meant to be an urban square surrounded by garish advertising, and that's exactly what it is. I say bring on more garish advertising and even more screens -- let's really give Times Square a run for its money. If you don't like it it you don't have to go there -- just like many New Yorkers don't go to Times Square.

The design of the square itself is well done, I especially like the fountains and it serves as a needed event space. It's the surrounding architecture and cluttered signage where it flops. It's not ever going to give Times Square a run for it's money, unless they start extending the 'glitz' well down towards Queen street- heaven forbid.

Actually Manhattan has some really nice squares too, as does Montreal. I wish we had a few more of those traditional squares in the downtown, perhaps that is why Berczy park is such a hit.

Last edited:
honestly the fatal flaw of the square is its Dundas frontage. It's arguably its most important frontage, and it puts its back to it.The open side is to the south, which is a minor side street. If there was a more open environment facing 10 Dundas and Ryerson, two of the largest traffic drivers in the area, it would be a lot more open and busy.

Back