News   Apr 24, 2024
 287     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 353     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 699     1 

PATH Network Expansion (various, various, various)

May be the wrong thread, but on a related note. What happened to the city's much heralded way-finding exercise that was all the rage the 2015 summer of Pan-Am and then we never heard another word about? I liked the few pylons/posts/signs I found. Wayfinding is important.

May be the wrong thread, but on a related note. What happened to the city's much heralded way-finding exercise that was all the rage the 2015 summer of Pan-Am and then we never heard another word about? I liked the few pylons/posts/signs I found. Wayfinding is important.
The pilot program in financial district was deemed a success. There are plans to expand it over next 3 years with most of the rest of downtown set for 2018. There have recently been a series of local stakeholder meetings to discuss fine details of the maps and placement of new map hardware. TO360 is allive and well.

DKCcp90UQAAicB4.jpg:large

Having braved the worst winter in 59 years and with my dog needing long walks, I’ve made good use of the PATH this year. I’ve lived in Toronto for almost 20 consecutive years and have never been able to effectively navigate the PATH. I didn’t even know I could go beyond St. Andrew Station with a “hidden” door taking you along Roy Thomson Hall’s sunken courtyard into a “hidden” mall under Metro Hall. I was so oblivious.

But in one brutal Winter, I can now get from Metro Hall to City Hall with my eyes shut. Now I’m hungry for more. Is a western expansion possible? Does TIFF Bell Lightbox have a lower level that could connect to the PATH at Metro Hall and from there to the Hyatt’s lower level? MEC’s redevelopment would be the next logical expansion getting the PATH to near Spadina.

320F9DA8-B3E1-4F78-9E74-F56597B4631E.jpeg

Attachments

• 320F9DA8-B3E1-4F78-9E74-F56597B4631E.jpeg
    320F9DA8-B3E1-4F78-9E74-F56597B4631E.jpeg
    465.4 KB · Views: 978
Last edited:
I work at the Lightbox and I hate to say It, but Daniels didn' ever plan for a future PATH going westward. Both basement floors is just parking and structural mainenance facilities.

I'm hoping for the Gehry Condos include a Path as I believe there is a wall by the escalator than has provisions of future expansion. Beyond that the only westward expansion I see possible is by wellington/front between the parks being built and major commercial and office hubs.

The only saving grace might be if the restaurant row gets torn down for that planned condo and find a way to connect that, but I'm pretty sure it' off imits atm.

I used to fantasize about westward PATH expansion when I lived at King & Spadina. I don't think there's any way it'll happen, even when restaurant row is razed for condos. I think a slightly more realistic expansion is along Front Street, maybe to Blue Jays Way. I doubt The Well will be connected in our lifetimes.

Last edited:
It would be great if the PATH extended to Chinatown.
But Chinatown is like its own little island for the mostpart. A lot of the locals stay there and don't venture too far- pretty much everything they need is available there. A lot of tourists also head there to check things out.
And I don't know that a lot of the people using the path network head that way. The path is used mostly by people moving between financial district buildings, lunch, and transit.

Coming to TEYCC at next meeting.

TE32.57
ACTION

Ward:20, 28

12, 14 and 16 York Street - Amendments to Section 16 Agreement and Road Closure Authorization - Notice of Pending Report
Origin

(April 16, 2018) Report from the Senior Strategic Director, Capital Projects, Transportation Services
Summary
This is to advise that the report 12, 14 and 16 York Street - Amendments to Section 16 Agreement and Road Closure Authorization will be on the agenda of the Toronto and East York Community Council meeting on May 2nd, 2018.

The purpose of this report is to seek Council authorization to further amend the Section 16 Agreement applicable to 12, 14 and 16 York Street so that the developer (Lanterra Developments) is required to carry out the construction of the York Street PATH tunnel connection via a partial closure of York Street. Although a partial closure of York Street will extend the duration of construction, it will significantly reduce the congestion impacts of this work.

Transportation Services is finalizing negotiations with the developer.

IIRC, the original plan was to close York completely between Bremner and Lake Shore for four months. If they had managed to time that during the Gardiner off-ramp rebuild when traffic was more focused at Spadina and Jarvis, it could have avoided problems that will occur now. I suppose we'll be look at eight months or more of disruption now, one lane each way?

Of course, if PATH were exclusively up at Plus 15 in this area, disruption for the street would have been minimized, and the actual usefulness of PATH in the area would have been apparent. Instead, we're getting an idiotic, baffling, and dumbfounding maze here.

Back