News   Mar 28, 2024
 576     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 426     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 759     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Notwithstanding @TheTigerMaster ’s last post, for the record, Toronto is the fourth largest city in North America having bypassed Chicago in the past three years.

Number one, drumroll please is Mexico City. In second place, New York City. Followed by Los Angeles (Gratuitous editorial - which is like Mississauga with palm trees.) Then us. And only then Chicago.

Of course if you were ranking the cities by the murder rate per capita the winner would be...

Back to regularly scheduled programming: arguments over station names!
In other related news, there's a proposal to have high school students getting their community service hours by pushing commuters into trains during rush hours.

Note that this isn't new. Tokyo has been doing something like this for a long time (though New York City was the first to implement something like that).

768px-Rush_hour_at_Ueno_02.JPG

Source: Wikimedia Commons

Even China and Spain have them!

Last edited:
In other related news, there's a proposal to have high school students getting their community service hours by pushing commuters into trains during rush hours.

Note that this isn't new. Tokyo has been doing something like this for a long time (though New York City was the first to implement something like that).

God damn, the pusher
God damn, I say the pusher
I said God damn, God damn the pusher man
- Steppenwolf

768px-Rush_hour_at_Ueno_02.JPG

No thank I would much rather wait for a train or two then be pushed by an employee into the train.

Nice to see that everyone stopped talking about the crisis facing the TTC because of this frivolous post.

Well, it seems the only solution to the crisis right now is squeeze yet more people onto a train until it looks like this

https://www.lensculture.com/articles/michael-wolf-tokyo-compression

Let's see, more buses won't work ( there are none and nowhere to put them) signaling improvements are still moving slowly and probably have less benefit than advertised, and the DRL is still only a promise with shovels in the ground still years away.

Time to panic? :)

I'd be in favour of this. Personally, I'd be fine with seeing the Presto fare raised by $0.50 during peak periods and lowered by $0.50 during non-peak periods. Cash fare would rise the $0.50 to encourage Presto adoption. When you buy monthly passes using Presto, there could be the option to buy either a Peak + Non-Peak Pass, or just a Non-Peak Pass.

As an aside, I'd love the same option for GO. It irks me that even if I'm taking the 23:43 train out of Union on a Sunday I'm paying the exact same as if I was taking the 16:30 on a Tuesday.
The problem is that GO doesn't serve all areas of the city off-peak. For instance, If I wanted to take the train from Waterloo off-peak to Union, I would have no choice but to pay more.

Notwithstanding @TheTigerMaster ’s last post, for the record, Toronto is the fourth largest city in North America having bypassed Chicago in the past three years.

Number one, drumroll please is Mexico City. In second place, New York City. Followed by Los Angeles (Gratuitous editorial - which is like Mississauga with palm trees.) Then us. And only then Chicago.

Of course if you were ranking the cities by the murder rate per capita the winner would be...

Chicago isn't even on the list of top 30 cities with the highest murder rates per capita, the city with the highest murder rate per capita is actually St Louis, followed by Baltimore and Detroit.

This is misleading as municipal boundaries are rather arbitrary. Toronto has a large municipal boundary, so it's got a "large" population.

If you measure based on the metro area, Toronto is way smaller than Chicago. The order of metro size goes Mexico City - NYC - LA - Chicago - Dallas Fort Worth - Houston - Toronto. Chicago is around 9.5 million, Toronto is a little over 6 million.

This is misleading as municipal boundaries are rather arbitrary. Toronto has a large municipal boundary, so it's got a "large" population.

If you measure based on the metro area, Toronto is way smaller than Chicago. The order of metro size goes Mexico City - NYC - LA - Chicago - Dallas Fort Worth - Houston - Toronto. Chicago is around 9.5 million, Toronto is a little over 6 million.

To be fair, however unintentional, I think you're now being a tad misleading.

Chicagoland (or greater Chicago etc. the area w/9.5M people) is calculated over an area of 28,000km2 which reaches well into Wisconsin, literally, right up to Racine.

To call that all Chicago is misleading.

If one wishes to do so, then we ought to compare Apples to Apples and take Toronto's extended commuter-shed; The Greater Golden Horseshoe; which is defined as having 30,000km2.

In that case, Toronto's population, at at 2016 was 9.2M

Given ongoing regional growth, its surely north of 9.3M today.

The province's growth plan for the GGH suggests a 2031 population of 11.95M

Those two areas don't possess similar commuter patterns however. Chicago is a lot more sprawling than Toronto - and is a larger city, so it inevitably takes up a much larger area. The GGH is a general urban region, but many of the population centres within it act largely independantly. Racine on the other hand is very much in the commuter belt of Chicago. There aren't many people going into Toronto for work from St Catharines, but from Gary, or Kenosha? Plenty.

For example, 614 people who live in Racine County work in Cook County (Chicago). 194,000 people live in Racine.

Cambridge has 340 people working in Toronto, out of 134,000. Racine is about double the commuting rate, and is 20km further away from downtown chicago than Cambridge is from Toronto.

Last edited:
Are there stats re St Catharines et al? I know a number of people who commute in from places like Kitchener, Barrie, Peterborough, and Niagara Falls.

Those two areas don't possess similar commuter patterns however. Chicago is a lot more sprawling than Toronto - and is a larger city, so it inevitably takes up a much larger area. The GGH is a general urban region, but many of the population centres within it act largely independantly. Racine on the other hand is very much in the commuter belt of Chicago. There aren't many people going into Toronto for work from St Catharines, but from Gary, or Kenosha? Plenty.

For example, 614 people who live in Racine County work in Cook County (Chicago). 194,000 people live in Racine.

Cambridge has 340 people working in Toronto, out of 134,000. Racine is about double the commuting rate, and is 20km further away from downtown chicago than Cambridge is from Toronto.

So, you got me thinking, and researching.

According to Stats Can.

4% of Niagara workers commute to Toronto.

5% for Brantford to Toronto

5% for K-W to Toronto

3% for Peterborough to Toronto

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...00-x2016029-eng.cfm?=undefined&wbdisable=true

See Chart 3

By Contrast, according to the government of Wisconsin, Kenosha has 40,000 workers, with under 500 traveling to Cook County, Ill. (ie. Chicago)
That's 1% of commuters.

https://worknet.wisconsin.gov/worknet_info/Publications/commuting.pdf

See p. 72

The numbers for Racine are similar, at 600 odd commuters to 59,000 workers and change, or 1% commuting to Chicago.

See p.54

No thank I would much rather wait for a train or two then be pushed by an employee into the train.

Nope, not by an employee. By a volunteer high school student. Imagine some snotty 14 year old shoving you into a packed train. Enjoy ;)

Although this isn't really the thread for this, if those numbers for Cambridge are true, then there is absolutely no business case for a Cambridge GO extension.

Back