News   Mar 28, 2024
 141     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

It was supposed to set up a redirect when I moved it.
@MetroMan , I believe you started the thread -- are you ok with renaming it? It has definitely broadened out from just the question of whether Wynne can win again.

Yes. But it doesn’t seem like I can change the thread name.

Changing it to “2018 Ontario Provincial Election” and with a mod note added in the first post as “Previously Can Premier Wynne Win In 2018” would be appropriate.

Careful, now; just because she lied about her age at the time doesn't mean all her allegations should be dismissed out-of-hand.

Either way, it's absurd to say it's "obvious" that CTV was doing anything untoward.
Here's what I wrote:
I won't comment further on how that sets up other *genuine* cases being harmed
The story will be picked up by the press, allegations of a 'palace coup' long predated this. Now we're getting the proof. CTV has more than a few claims to atone for.

And I stand behind my claim for CTV being 'established old school Tory'. Does the name "Bassett" ring a bell?

Here's what I wrote:

The story will be picked up by the press, allegations of a 'palace coup' long predated this. Now we're getting the proof. CTV has more than a few claims to atone for.

And I stand behind my claim for CTV being 'established old school Tory'. Does the name "Bassett" ring a bell?
I only just got in and read the latest headlines.

Agree with the last few posters. It stinks. And so does CTV, And this is far from the first time, Dion as mentioned being one, but so were others on baseless accusations. Meantime, as I carefully stated in my earlier post today, it actually does a *disservice* to legitimate cases.

What's especially peculiar is CTV's being 'played' on this so willingly. I never liked Brown, I never liked the play Julius Caesar, but never realized the collective role of 'the Senate' was to be played by CTV.

They have some explaining to do.

I see checking the headlines that CTV has now changed their story.

And the CBC leads:
'You lied. You defamed me': Patrick Brown blasts CTV News after sexual misconduct accuser changes timeline
One of Brown's accusers now says she wasn't underage at time of alleged sexual misconduct
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/patrick-brown-blasts-ctv-news-1.4535358

The irony is that 'rumours' were that he was gay, not a philanderer.

Those who should be very upset about this most? QP Libs. The palace coup plotters just cost you the election.

Last edited:

No, we're not getting proof of anything; that's the point. Explain what, specifically, CTV has done objectively wrong here based on verifiable facts that have been presented, if you think I'm wrong.

Quoting tabloids to aid in the process of victim-blaming is fairly unbecoming.
"Tabloids"

Errr...every major news outlet is featuring it. Since when did The Star, Globe, CBC and more become "tabloids"?

What offence exactly is Brown ostensibly guilt of except being a womanizer? Even his girlfriend at the time has come out to corroborate that he was approached by the older accuser when he was with the former at a social gathering. So what was the offence exactly? A grown man propositioning a woman who was drunk?

Have you any idea of how deeming that illegal will stymie the love interests of many smitten women?

Or is politics now the realm of the neutered, castrated and limp? It would go a long way explaining a lot of who are getting elected...

"Victim blaming"? So one can make any kind of unsubstantiated complaint, refuse to lay a charge, destroy someone's career, the accuser challenges them to produce the evidence, and that's "victim blaming"? Have you any idea of how much this puts back genuine, substantiated complainants?

"Tabloids"

Errr...every major news outlet is featuring it. Since when did The Star, Globe, CBC and more become "tabloids"?

What offence exactly is Brown accused of except being a womanizer? Even his girlfriend at the time has come out to corroborate that he was approached by the older accuser when he was with the former. So what was the offence exactly? A grown man propositioning a woman who was drunk?

Have you any idea of how deeming that illegal will stymie the love interests of many smitten women?

Or is politics now the realm of the neutered, castrated and limp? It would go a long way explaining a lot of who are getting elected...

I was referring to the Sun as a tabloid, which is really not that much of a leap, and I was taking exception to the commenter who thinks the victims should be "embarrassed", which I find to be in extremely poor taste, to say the least.

And, man, "neutered, castrated and limp"? You're typically a pretty reasonable guy, so I didn't really expect you to defend a creepy politician accused of taking advantage of very young and possibly inebriated women in the first place, but I really didn't expect "neutered, castrated and limp", and in fact I'm not quite sure exactly what argument that strange combination of words is meant to support.

No, we're not getting proof of anything; that's the point. Explain what, specifically, CTV has done objectively wrong here based on verifiable facts that have been presented, if you think I'm wrong.
You can start here, and then Google the rest.
Two people have revealed fresh information to CBC News about elements of the alleged incidents that forced Patrick Brown to resign as Ontario PC leader.

Brown faced accusations of sexual misconduct by two women, one who originally said she was in high school at the time, the other who worked for Brown when he was a member of Parliament.

The staffer who accused Brown of sexual assault at a party following his annual Hockey Night in Barrie fundraiser in 2013 was "clinging to him" throughout the night, says Brown's girlfriend at the time.

"She just kept following him around, like clinging to him," said Mikaela Patterson in an exclusive interview with CBC News. "He would come over and talk to me and she would go over, she just wanted to be around him it seemed."

mikaela-patterson.png

Mikaela Patterson was dating Patrick Brown in 2013 and attended the party where Brown allegedly sexually assaulted a woman. Patterson said in an interview that she observed no tension between Brown and the woman immediately after the incident allegedly happened. (CBC)
[...]
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/patrick-brown-allegations-1.4535373

So is Patterson lying? Which would be really odd, wouldn't it? After all, some state "Women must be believed". Or do witnesses just spoil the fun? Damn "tabloids"...

So is Patterson lying? Which would be really odd, wouldn't it? After all, some state "Women must be believed".

...so you're now equating Mikaela Patterson's assertion that "she didn't observe tension" between Brown and one of the victims with generally the accounts of victims of sexual assault?

There were a lot of "alleged"s in the story.
The entire story is alleged at this point. And frankly looking like Brown is a club rat and not a predator.
And on what, specifically, are you basing that assertion?
The fact she never mentioned this to here mutual friend that was at the party for one. And the second accuser seemed to have wanted a pay raise? When Rob Ford was being accused, none of this ever came up.

Back