Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | a—A

Great, you're trying to be funny. Still, you haven't successfully refuted the fact that YSL and other tall/dense projects slated for Yonge will further strain the physical infrastructure currently in place. Greater levels of noise and light pollution aside, the most significant and pressing concerns remain increasing strains on power, sewage, transit and general street traffic.

I'm all for YSL at its intended current height, by the way. I just think it's silly to pretend that the city isn't already grappling with serious problems caused in the revitalization and rapid densification of the core.

I just think it's silly to pretend that the city isn't already grappling with serious problems caused in the revitalization and rapid densification of the core.

In fact, I'd say that's so obvious that right now it's the single biggest issue Toronto faces. This city is barely keeping pace with its explosive growth; one could coherently argue it's lagging behind; I'm not sure one could argue it's ahead. There are so many pressures facing Toronto right now that how our representatives manage it will define this city going forward for decades.

Unfortunately, I'm not particularly optimistic current leadership has a good handle on all of this.

In fact, I'd say that's so obvious that right now it's the single biggest issue Toronto faces. This city is barely keeping pace with its explosive growth; one could coherently argue it's lagging behind; I'm not sure one could argue it's ahead. There are so many pressures facing Toronto right now that how our representatives manage it will define this city going forward for decades.

Unfortunately, I'm not particularly optimistic current leadership has a good handle on all of this.

The best they could do is learn as quickly as possible from other world cities previously in a similar situation and apply the lessons to Toronto.

King St. Pilot was a good step. Making a portion of Yonge south of College pedestrian-only would be another good step. Building more parks including Rail Deck Park is a good step.

More trees, more green along major streets. Yonge is particularly starved for this, should be added for the entire stretch south of Bloor.

NPS re-revitalized with more trees and grass space to counter the brutalist concrete. Becomes a pseudo-park.

Expanding development east/west beyond just the Yonge corridor would be a good step, this includes office buildings. Obviously development typically follows transit lines and that doesn't exist.

So of course transit, but that is costly and the politicians drag their feet.

I wish the federal government would step in to fund desperately needed subway lines in Canada's largest city. The investment would pay off over and over for the Canadian economy in the coming decades.

I'm okay with YSL

Great, you're trying to be funny. Still, you haven't successfully refuted the fact that YSL and other tall/dense projects slated for Yonge will further strain the physical infrastructure currently in place. Greater levels of noise and light pollution aside, the most significant and pressing concerns remain increasing strains on power, sewage, transit and general street traffic.

I'm all for YSL at its intended current height, by the way. I just think it's silly to pretend that the city isn't already grappling with serious problems caused in the revitalization and rapid densification of the core.

OK humour aside, I've stated YSL residents will have a much lower tendency to use the TTC southbound in the AM than other buildings outside the core. Street traffic - the city is planning to widen sidewalks on Yonge soon. Light & noise - well those looking for peace & quiete on Yonge will be disappointed. The only points I agree are significant are sewage & power. That needs to get done, but its not something growing cities don't deal with.

The best they could do is learn as quickly as possible from other world cities previously in a similar situation and apply the lessons to Toronto.

King St. Pilot was a good step. Making a portion of Yonge south of College pedestrian-only would be another good step. Building more parks including Rail Deck Park is a good step.

More trees, more green along major streets. Yonge is particularly starved for this, should be added for the entire stretch south of Bloor.

NPS re-revitalized with more trees and grass space to counter the brutalist concrete. Becomes a pseudo-park.

Expanding development east/west beyond just the Yonge corridor would be a good step, this includes office buildings. Obviously development typically follows transit lines and that doesn't exist.

I wish the federal government would step in to fund desperately needed subway lines in Canada's largest city. The investment would pay off over and over for the Canadian economy in the coming decades.

I'm okay with YSL

Other high rise cities are looser on height but stricter on density to control the costs of infrastructure and other community needs. That wouldn't play in the favour of those wanting taller buildings than we already build.

As the city over the years neglected to expand water treatmen plants and sewer capacity, it’s starting to have effect of Developments.
Last year a slew of new regulations came out from Toronto water department relating to Dewatering during the construction and with dealing with water discharge after condo is registered.
There is also shortage of hydro power in the core.

Hydro should be fixed with the new substation coming online soon.

The Stormwater issue has been around for years, they have started to install stormwater runoff tanks in condo basements from my understanding to hold stormwater in storm events, allowing it to be dispersed into the municipal system after the storm.

With the new regulations, no more storing of the water allowed.
What the city wants is that every garage is bath tabed, completely water proved , the city does not want any more water discharge into the system, there is no capacity.

It's hardly neglect that their efforts haven't been able to keep up with the condo boom. There's only so much room in a budget.

I'm okay with YSL

The King Street Pilot is a shining example of how badly this city’s transit program has been neglected for the past decades. We should have been building subways over the years instead we are still stuck with transit and cars fighting to use the same cramped arteries. New York had the foresight to build subways instead of just talking about them. Now we are so far behind it will be extremely difficult if not impossible to catch up.

You should look up NYC's current subway woes, Big Daddy. Yes, it's an extensive, impressive network they have. But it's falling apart, thanks to chronic funding issues and years of neglect. All mass transit systems require constant planning, maintenance and dedicated funding, lest they fall into disrepair. It's a system that, by its nature, is forever in flux.

It's not a question of our "catching up" with NYC or any other city, either. It's about properly addressing the issues specific to Toronto. NYC is a huge metropolis, one much greater in population than Toronto. We might do better to compare ourselves to a city like Montreal, which though a bit smaller than Toronto has in many ways a better, more efficient subway system.

We can however agree on this: we should never have stopped building subways.

You should look up NYC's current subway woes, Big Daddy. Yes, it's an extensive, impressive network they have. But it's falling apart, thanks to chronic funding issues and years of neglect. All mass transit systems require constant planning, maintenance and dedicated funding, lest they fall into disrepair. It's a system that, by its nature, is forever in flux.

It's not a question of our "catching up" with NYC or any other city, either. It's about properly addressing the issues specific to Toronto. NYC is a huge metropolis, one much greater in population than Toronto. We might do better to compare ourselves to a city like Montreal, which though a bit smaller than Toronto has in many ways a better, more efficient subway system.

We can however agree on this: we should never have stopped building subways.

Nevermind that NYC stopped building subways since the 40s - before Toronto even got the first line.

AoD

They also started with elevated lines before burying them in Manhattan. They're still elevated or at grade in many places outside of Manhattan. If you want that kind of network, you have to accept that kind of infrastructure.

Back