News   Apr 19, 2024
 935     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 671     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

How long until the electric buses come into service anyways? I’m eager to ride them.

Electric motors have instant torque, which should mean faster acceleration and a less sluggish ride
I rode the BYD demo that toured Ontario in 2015. Pretty peppy acceleration. It could keep up with traffic fine, but it was slow going up hills.

Since we are talking about destination signage, perhaps the TTC should look into these as well. Go to the 30 second mark to see the in the floor LED destination/info screen:

It would make more sense if it was just

2 - Kipling
Not really as it is referred to that way. The subway and SRT are always referred to s Line 1, 2 3 or 4.

Two-colour (yellow and black). Lowest bidder.

Does it display on the inside, the same?
It was internal TTC work no contractor they probably just went to the company that makes the one for their buses and gave them the size they wanted. And on the inside, it says nothing it's just a piece of steel to support the sign.

When speaking, yes but people call it "route blah" when it comes to a bus, but nobody is confused that a bus destination sign doesn't write it out

I'm probably just used to the Ottawa style though. Because everything is bilingual brevity is important. Thus while you hear things like "the next station is Sheppard, this is a terminal station, doors will open on the left" in Toronto, an announcement on an Ottawa train is "Next station - Greenboro, Prochaine arrêt - Greenboro". No reference at all to doors or end of the line, as it would take forever to say it in both languages

John Tory announces he will back an amendment to the proposed City budget to add $3M to reduce TTC overcrowding.

This was part of a 10-point plan on said issue. The rest of which were mostly dismissable.

While the sum is paltry, its likely the best the TTC could make effective use of this year given fleet limitations for both streetcars and buses.

Its a welcome course correction. (a nearly identical motion to add 3M was defeated at budget ctte 2 weeks ago)

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...-10-point-plan-to-alleviate-ttc-crowding.html

John Tory announces he will back an amendment to the proposed City budget to add $3M to reduce TTC overcrowding.

This was part of a 10-point plan on said issue. The rest of which were mostly dismissable.

While the sum is paltry, its likely the best the TTC could make effective use of this year given fleet limitations for both streetcars and buses.

Its a welcome course correction. (a nearly identical motion to add 3M was defeated at budget ctte 2 weeks ago)

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...-10-point-plan-to-alleviate-ttc-crowding.html
It is also interesting that several of his ideas have already been dismissed by the TTC Board as being impractical or needing more study.

It is also interesting that several of his ideas have already been dismissed by the TTC Board as being impractical or needing more study.

So I guess the problem is worth $3M in his books. Compare and contrast how much moving heaven and earth he did for speeding up the Gardiner rebuild.

AoD

So I guess the problem is worth $3M in his books. Compare and contrast how much moving heaven and earth he did for speeding up the Gardiner rebuild.

AoD

I'll be the first to throw Mr. Tory under the bus for just cause; here, however, the TTC has indicated that 3M (this year) is the number.

That is 9m annualized in 2019.

There is more needed, however, that money puts every available vehicle out for crowding reduction.

The only way to do more is when new buses (and streetcars) show up; and in the case of buses, new storage capacity opens (McNicoll Garage, 2020)

Extra operating $$ wouldn't help this year beyond this number.

I'm not sure how much one could accelerate additional bus storage, but it almost certainly wouldn't be online this year.

AoD
John Tory is the ultimate status-quo, and "just right" mayor. Everything he does revolves around those two principles. Nothing he's done over his tenure has been innovative or groundbreaking and time after time, he comes up with budgets in his own admission that are "just right".

The problem with doing things "just right" is that Toronto has so many under-funded projects, crumbing pieces of infrastructure, and neglected services that doing things in this manner cripple a city which is growing each and every day. His approach would have been fine in the 1970s, not today.

Back