News   Apr 24, 2024
 39     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 241     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 561     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I also have no problem accessing my Presto history via the website using Chrome on a Mac. The 2017 Transit Usage Report provides a very detailed listing of all transactions. Going month by month, I did have to use the "custom range" option.

That's an odd error. Haven't heard that before. Does it make a regular noise or a concession noise?
That's a good question! You know, I can't recall hearing that. That 'squawk' was something very few operators or collectors knew what it meant, plus the orange flash along with green on the GO station stalks and GO bus readers. I've only been using TTC the last couple of months.

I'm going to use my other card today, and see what difference there is. It might also be a case of 'reflashing' the status on the card.

I'll update the string as to what the 'back office' finds.

Btw: I'm using "Chromium" the open access version of Chrome. Now that I Google, there are a host of issues with Java, here's one:
Java and Google Chrome Browser

In my case, I'm using a Beta OS of Linux, (I was forced to due to losing my last OS to a 'Spectre fix" that crashed the system and wouldn't fully boot, long story) and the browsers may not be fully supporting Java, or javascript. The Alpha to Beta upgrade a week back took out some dependency files, had to reload AcroReader as it got purged in the upgrade. Firefox I purged on purpose prior to that since it was completely unstable. It now runs fine, even the latest 58 which is known to have issues. (I'd been using ESR ver prior since it's lighter, faster and cleaner, and no bells and whistles).

We'll see how this turns out, it could yet be the card not flagging concession status.

Presto tell me their website is designed for IE users in mind...WTF? That's only a fraction of users now! Less including the iDevice users.

Last edited:
I did have to use the "custom range" option.
Just caught that in your post. What is that? Never had to use it before, and come to think of it, there's no provision to view the previous year's usage.

Just went to Presto site to check my account again using FF...it won't let me sign in. The Pop-up is buggy, whether that's java or a modern replacement, I don't know. Hmmmm...it was doing this yesterday. There might be a 'certificate' missing in the handshake.

Just signed in with Chromium, but it has the particulars saved in memory.

Must run, I'll try to see what happens with Brave Browser later, it uses the Chrome engine.

Sorry, actual wording is "select date range"; it's from the "card activity" view.
Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 11.51.02 AM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 11.51.02 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 11.51.02 AM.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 322
Sorry, actual wording is "select date range"; it's from the "card activity" view.
Many thanks. I was just down at Union and had a service rep reset the default setting. It was a card replacement middle of January, and it was thought at the time that the settings would be carried through from the card it replaced.

Not so evidently. It has to be done manually. So that's one issue dealt with, I'm awaiting my credit. More on that when it happens, but I'll explore the Firefox issue further. I'll try pulling down the firewall and pop-up blocker to see if that helps. It shouldn't...but this is the world of digital, where nothing wuehgc ac can go wwironghkeoo;nnll

For those of you who are MDP Metropass customers, the below may be of interest:

--------------------------------------------

Brad Ross forwarded your email to me. Thanks for reaching out and I’m happy to tell you that we will be introducing the 12 Month Pass on PRESTO for the April pass period. The 12 Month Pass is the equivalent of the MDP pass. It will cost the same and provide the same unlimited travel as the MDP pass.

We are just finalizing the details before we start to promote the pass. There is information about this new pass coming with your April MDP pass. If you want to switch to the 12 Month Pass on PRESTO you will need to cancel your MDP contract with the TTC and sign up for the 12 Month Pass with PRESTO. You will not incur cancellation fees.

We will have information about the 12 Month Pass on our website on March 1.

Feel free to stay in contact with me should you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Heather BrownActing Manager

Customer Communications

CEO’s office

Yes, this is good for those prepare to make a 12 month commitment (and who actually need a pass 12 months a year). The VIP pass is unfortunately being discontinued as of September, it had the great advantage of being available on a month-by-month basis.

For those of you who are MDP Metropass customers, the below may be of interest:

--------------------------------------------

Brad Ross forwarded your email to me. Thanks for reaching out and I’m happy to tell you that we will be introducing the 12 Month Pass on PRESTO for the April pass period. The 12 Month Pass is the equivalent of the MDP pass. It will cost the same and provide the same unlimited travel as the MDP pass.

We are just finalizing the details before we start to promote the pass. There is information about this new pass coming with your April MDP pass. If you want to switch to the 12 Month Pass on PRESTO you will need to cancel your MDP contract with the TTC and sign up for the 12 Month Pass with PRESTO. You will not incur cancellation fees.

We will have information about the 12 Month Pass on our website on March 1.

Feel free to stay in contact with me should you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Heather BrownActing Manager

Customer Communications

CEO’s office

FYI Heather has just tweeted out that it's delayed to May, now; that was fast... https://twitter.com/hmacmillanbrown/status/964310704185659392

Are you suppose to tap when transferring from one GO train to another, or does it only require the final tap off?

In addition to this, are you suppose to tap off and tap on if you accidentally got off on an earlier stop? Or are your tap on and off in the 3 hour window at beginning and end enough?

I regularly transfer between GO lines at Union, usually with one end of my trip being Mimico or Long Branch or Kipling. Presto handles the transfer quite smoothly - in fact, if you do try to tap off at Union and then tap on again, your card may be frozen due to two taps too close together. It then requires a trip to the ticket counter to unfreeze it.

The interesting thing is that the fare calculation may result in a lower fare than if one ended the trip at Union. Presto appears to deduct rather than add the second leg, I guess on the premise of the terminal point being determined as a radius distance from Union: eg Mimico is one radial zone away from Union, so a trip from Aurora to Union to Mimico is treated the same as a trip from Aurora to Downsview Park.

I find the TTC transfer cofare is unreliable when combined with a two-segment GO trip.

Presto fare calculation is still basically a lottery, I have concluded. Loss of revenue from Presto miscalculation, and not fare evasion, is what they should be worrying about.

- Paul

Last edited:
I regularly transfer between GO lines at Union, usually with one end of my trip being Mimico or Long Branch or Kipling. Presto handles the transfer quite smoothly - in fact, if you do try to tap off at Union and then tap on again, your card may be frozen due to two taps too close together. It then requires a trip to the ticket counter to unfreeze it.

The interesting thing is that the fare calculation may result in a lower fare than if one ended the trip at Union. Presto appears to deduct rather than add the second leg, I guess on the premise of the terminal point being determined as a radius distance from Union: eg Mimico is one zone away from Union, so a trip from Aurora to Union to Mimico is treated the same as a trip from Aurora to Downsview Park.

I find the TTC transfer cofare is unreliable when combined with a two-segment GO trip.

Presto fare calculation is basically a lottery, I have concluded. Loss of revenue from Presto miscalculation, and not fare evasion, is what they should be worrying about.

- Paul
Now I'm curious if GO zones are calculated based on the line/route you're on, or a straight line from tap on to tap off.

Here's an example.
Starting balance at Royal York station - $80.76
Fare TTC to Union, then GO to Aurora - $9.76 - GO portion $6.76
Fare GO Aurora to Union to Mimico, then 76 bus - $7.62 - GO portion $4.62

- Paul

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 9.15.22 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 9.15.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 9.15.22 AM.png
    98.3 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Are you suppose to tap when transferring from one GO train to another, or does it only require the final tap off?

In addition to this, are you suppose to tap off and tap on if you accidentally got off on an earlier stop? Or are your tap on and off in the 3 hour window at beginning and end enough?

Presuming you don't have a default trip set, then you can do it either way, tap off at union then back on or just tap off at your final destination. The way I do it is if I'm making an actual direct transfer at Union, I just tap off at my final destination. If I'm getting off at union, doing stuff downtown, then a while later but still within the 3 hour transfer window I'm getting back on, I do tap off when I initially arrive and tap back on later.

in fact, if you do try to tap off at Union and then tap on again, your card may be frozen due to two taps too close together. It then requires a trip to the ticket counter to unfreeze it.

I've found pressing override for the second tap is necessary. I have an Aurora-Union default trip set, if I return to Aurora within 3 hours of my initial tap to head down, the machine flashes red and says "Card Error" and I have to hit override then tap off in Aurora in order to be able to take the trip. It gives me the return trip for about $3 vs $8.26 normally which is nice.

Back