News   Apr 24, 2024
 426     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 593     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 499     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

The current plan is they are going to build a new yard west of Kipling and move the Bloor Danforth trains to there. Greenwood yard will then be used to store equipment for the downtown relif line which will use shorter trains like shperard or the yard will be modifed for longer trains.As of right now the shops are set up for maired pairs only rather then six car train set.
Greenwood will still need to store Line 2 trains while there is no equivalent to even Vincent Yard east of the Don Valley.

The current ones do mostly but that's only because some of the platforms are a bit longer due to curves or other factors when they were built
I'm not aware of any platforms being longer or shorter.

As far as I know, the platforms are all about 500 feet (152 metres) long, and easily fit the current approximately 139 metre (456 feet) trains.

I don't think anything precludes future trains being about 152 metres long (or possibly even slightly longer, depending how much space is required on the left and right side of the doors in the station), assuming they use a minimum of 7 cars.

Today I noticed that the the Toronto Rockets had small screens that play through a slideshow of TTC propaganda.

Other than more advertising, what other things can these screens be used for?

Today I noticed that the the Toronto Rockets had small screens that play through a slideshow of TTC propaganda.

Other than more advertising, what other things can these screens be used for?

Information about delays and issues as currently there is no visual system to alert the hearing impaired or headphone impaired people about service disruptions.

Flash the screen red to grab peoples attention and then post information on the video screens.

Information about delays and issues as currently there is no visual system to alert the hearing impaired or headphone impaired people about service disruptions.

Flash the screen red to grab peoples attention and then post information on the video screens.
I wonder if they are actually tied into anything right now other then internal train functions. It would make sense that they should display things like delay notices or things like the screens on the platform do. Maybe an update to them will be part of the change over to a digital communications system from the current analogue one.

Unfortunately the screens are few and far between. Would have been nice to see one at each door like in Montreal.
The TTC put the screens where they did so that someone seated or in the wheelchair section of the train could see the next stop display, as in that section there is a bulkhead overhead with the HVAC equipment.

Meanwhile...

New York City pulls 300 Bombardier subway cars, citing safety concerns

From link.

The head of New York City’s transit authority says it has pulled nearly 300 newly delivered subway cars made by Bombardier Inc. due to safety concerns.

Andy Byford says two recent incidents “raised questions about the reliable operation” of the car doors, prompting the authority to remove them from service Tuesday night.

The incidents caused no injuries, but Byford says the problems are “unacceptable” and the latest in a series of issues with the Bombardier trains.

Byford, who also dealt with company during his time at the helm of the Toronto Transit Commission, briefly suspended deliveries of the new cars last January, citing software issues and previous problems with springs between the cars and doors that were “weeping oil.”

Bombardier says two doors on cars in the New York City fleet “failed to function as intended” because they were not properly calibrated by the supplier.

The Montreal-based company says it is focused on getting the cars back into service by inspecting doors on the entire fleet and bringing in additional technicians to work “around the clock.”

While we're back here, the last posts from February 2018 mentioned the screens beside the ad cards. They are still telling us after 8 1/2 years about the government funding, that the TTC cheers for the home team. I think there's maybe one screen that's newer than five years old.

You have got to give it to them - they managed to use "advanced technologies!!" to display what could have been (and were) done with stickers. In the meantime, I wonder how their attempt to make emergency announcements audible on the trains are going? *slow clap*

AoD

Back