News   Apr 24, 2024
 958     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

For reference, the 1988 Y+B Platform Expansion proposal - merged from plans posted by Steve Munro:
https://stevemunro.ca/2008/11/02/yonge-subway-headway-study-1988-part-5/

YBSpanish1988.jpg

AoD

Attachments

• YBSpanish1988.jpg
    YBSpanish1988.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 385
And plus how long can you close down Bloor Station to Spanishize it. Unless they can do all the work over a long weekend.

For reference, the 1988 Y+B Platform Expansion proposal - merged from plans posted by Steve Munro:
https://stevemunro.ca/2008/11/02/yonge-subway-headway-study-1988-part-5/

View attachment 134216

AoD

I seem to recall that the plan in the image would’ve required Bloor to shut down for a substantial amount of time.

Since they like deep tunneling these days including in sparsely populated areas they could build a completely new Bloor platform underneath the Yonge platform perhaps part of a second Yonge Line.

Just another passing comment as a Midtown commuter.

The buses on Eglinton are becoming impossible to get on at rush hour from Mt Pleasant onwards. This morning was pretty bad for it, large crowds being left behind. It will be resolved once the Crosstown opens of course, but I imagine the situation is not too different in other key parts of our network like Dufferin, Finch and Jane.

The buses on Eglinton are becoming impossible to get on at rush hour from Mt Pleasant onwards. This morning was pretty bad for it, large crowds being left behind. It will be resolved once the Crosstown opens of course, but I imagine the situation is not too different in other key parts of our network like Dufferin, Finch and Jane.
The solution is obviously the Sheppard Subway Relief Line. /s

The problem with that Bloor-Yonge masterplan is it doesn't solve the part that everyone will be piling up at the near the northern side of the platform and would have to walk down. If they are going to rebuild it, the should shift the platform north like they are shifting Eglinton.

That’s alright. We’re making a smart investment of $700 Million into SmartTrack - a plan that’ll move no more people than the Victoria Park bus. Our priorities are strong, and leadership is sound.

Yonge Station could get Unionized by adding a new south platform for eastbound trains which would push half the transferees down the Bloor platform to start off with.

Yonge Station could get Unionized by adding a new south platform for eastbound trains which would push half the transferees down the Bloor platform to start off with.

The cost of doing that would likely be at least $300 million. Union Station was easier to do because it wasn't as deep as the Yonge Station Line 2 platform, and without an existing subway underneath. Despite the obvious gains, I don't know if it would hold up under a cost-benefit analysis.

With the DRL coming, I don't see much of a point in investing hundreds of millions in expanding Bloor-Yonge Station. Any investments should be on cheaper, intermediate measures to manage the situation until the Relief Line is operational.
Absolutely agreed. It's like trying to rebuild the old Chevy that does perfectly well for getting the kids to school and doing the shopping, but when upgrading it to handle the highway, it costs the price of a Porsche. It's time to keep the old Chevy running the way it is, with oil changes and new tires, and buy a new vehicle for the heavy lifting.

Last edited:

Back