News   Mar 28, 2024
 625     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 445     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 773     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

Who considers Toronto to be one of the great culinary cities of the world? Michelin doesn’t even rate us.

Who considers Toronto to be one of the great culinary cities of the world? Michelin doesn’t even rate us.

The mark of a great culinary city is the diversity, quality, and quantity of food on offer to the masses not how many restaurants catering to the top 1% an organization in France gave the thumbs up to. I'd much rather have the food options available in Toronto than any city in Europe.

London's really come up recently but Toronto still beats it in overall quality and diversity of food on offer.... especially when one factors in affordability/accessibility. You can thank this city's multi-cultural make up and proximity to quality produce for that.

I was born in London and lived there for many years so this is based on first hand experience, not something I read in a guide. If Canadians actually lived in Europe for a few years they'd be more appreciative of what they have.

Last edited:

Michelin, the french tire manufacturer, began rating restaurants and creating guide books in the 20's as a way of encouraging Europeans (99% of their customer base at the time) to take more road trips. It's still quite regional in nature, catering mostly to where French (or Japanese) tourists visit as those make the bulk of their readership.

Restaurant Magazine's top 50 rankings is a little more global in nature but still rely pretty heavily on locals nominating their favourites for judging.

Last edited:
Toronto has too many food deserts to be considered "one of the greatest culinary cities of the world." I've had more food options in medium sized cities in former Yugoslavia (where the purchasing power is significantly lower than in Toronto to begin with) than in some parts of Toronto

Toronto has too many food deserts to be considered "one of the greatest culinary cities of the world." I've had more food options in medium sized cities in former Yugoslavia (where the purchasing power is significantly lower than in Toronto to begin with) than in some parts of Toronto

Agree wholeheartedly.

Toronto is a *phenomenal* food city. Perhaps not at the super high end, but who cares? Every other category is outstanding.

London, which these days gets a huge amount of oohing and ahhhing from the (largely UK-based) food press, has nothing like the overall quality, as I’ve learned to my disappointment dozens of times. Seriously.

There seems to be an illusion that Michelin is only for the plutocratic food snobs who can’t appreciate the glory of Toronto’s egalitarian, multicultural diversity. True they award three star ratings to superb, luxe restaurants unlike anything we’ll ever see in Toronto. They also award one star ratings to some pretty hole in the wall but good places like One Dim Sum in HK. And they publish a lot of bib gourmand ratings of truly quality restaurants at an affordable price. I’m not saying Toronto doesn’t have a lively restaurant scene that has made some progress over the years, but it seems rather courageous to claim we’re among the world’s best. It’s a big world. I’d love to be corrected - I live here, after all. Michelin doesn’t rate Toronto, but is there any objective, informed, credible non-local-civic-booster restaurant critic or ratings organization that characterizes Toronto as among the world’s “great culinary cities”? Any restaurants I should check out?

Last edited:
Any restaurants I should check out?

Make your way out to Singhampton. The Eigensinn Farm is still doing the exact same farm-to-table food it was in 2002 when they were a top 10 restaurant (according to the UK at least). Of course, since it seems every restaurant has a garden now it's not unique enough to keep that kind of ranking though I expect he'd still maintain 2 stars (decor is sorely dated). Also, there is no longer a multi-year waiting list for reservations.

Anyway, 15 years ago it was one of those restaurants that Europeans would book a vacation around and still no Michelin stars. Now it's a bit of living history.

Last edited:
King Street Pilot now has a counter-protest group. See link.

20180205-we-love-king-coalition.jpg

God save our gracious King (Street Transit Priority Pilot),
Long live our noble King (Street Pilot),
God save the King (Street):
Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the King (Street Transit Priority Pilot).

Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:

This pilot may be the push to turn all streetcar lines that are not grade separated into transit malls. This may also see the businesses along non grade separated lines push for the grade separating.

This pilot may be the push to turn all streetcar lines that are not grade separated into transit malls. This may also see the businesses along non grade separated lines push for the grade separating.

That's absolutely not going to happen within at least the next 20 years.

Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
It's not a "protest group", counter or otherwise. It's a group in support of the pilot and King Street businesses. That headline is BlogTO's usual contempt for journalism.

That's absolutely not going to happen within at least the next 20 years.

Why are you so sure? Once EC is up and running, many in downtown will see how streets like Spadina, St Clair and Eglinton have good business and do not have issues with car traffic.

Have anyone used the 504 as an alternative route to get downtown when the Line 1 had its troubles lately?

Would extending the transit priority all along the 504 help or hinder?
I still take my chances with Line 1. Maybe I would consider changing at Broadview if the pilot conditions were extended to Sumach to squeeze out a few more minutes.

Back