Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

I think a lot of those stores decided to lock them from the outsdie for secrity reason and use the windows for advertising as there isn't any foot trafic in the store from the outside. Many stores do that now if they don't have satff to cover all of the entreces to them in case of theft.

The whole point of the exercise was <supposedly> to encourage foot traffic. In other words, it's a failure of the stated purpose - and we gave up precious sidewalk space that would have been a better use.

Zoom in closely on the "CF" and tell me that those edges and corners don't all look awkward and as though each one has a slightly different geometry than the next. I maintain that it was generated by putting an old raster image of their logo into Adobe Illustrator and trying to vectorize it with the Image Trace button. It looks wobbly and cheap, and I'm surprised such an esteemed developer doesn't use a better logo. Every time I see it, it makes me a little crazy.

But I digress.

Or maybe the graphic designers practices wabi-sabi (like fat chance).

AoD

The whole point of the exercise was <supposedly> to encourage foot traffic. In other words, it's a failure of the stated purpose - and we gave up precious sidewalk space that would have been a better use.
The problem is mots of the foot traffic in that area is inside of the Eaton Centre. Having an entrance inside of the Eaton Centre is much more important to a retailer then having one on the outside. The only stores that currently have an entrance from the street and to the Eaton Centre are Root, Samsung and H and M all of which have cash registers or security by the doors that enter from the street.

The problem is mots of the foot traffic in that area is inside of the Eaton Centre. Having an entrance inside of the Eaton Centre is much more important to a retailer then having one on the outside. The only stores that currently have an entrance from the street and to the Eaton Centre are Root, Samsung and H and M all of which have cash registers or security by the doors that enter from the street.

I don't care about that - that's their problem. The city allowed this addition to proceed based on certain premises -and it did not deliver.

AoD

A better public experience would have been to have kept a wider sidewalk and tried to do curated small-scale retail (like holiday pop-up markets, what is happening in front of union or what Club Monaco tried to do on Bloor Street ages ago). That would have provided a more "there-there" instead of a locked door to Armani Exchange.

I don't care about that - that's their problem. The city allowed this addition to proceed based on certain premises -and it did not deliver.

AoD
True but they aren't going to kick out retailers because they don't want to have the side entrance to a store open that not much foot traffic came in through when it was open.I think most of the store had them open for about six months when it was first done. They probably didn't see enough traffic from outside the mall to justify it. Roots and Ham and Along with Nordstrom and originally Sears/Eatons see foot traffic come in from the street because they are bigger stores then the others are.

Theft prevention. Multiple entrances is a bad choice. Retail is already suffering. Those doors aren’t about to open anytime soon.

Zoom in closely on the "CF" and tell me that those edges and corners don't all look awkward and as though each one has a slightly different geometry than the next. I maintain that it was generated by putting an old raster image of their logo into Adobe Illustrator and trying to vectorize it with the Image Trace button. It looks wobbly and cheap, and I'm surprised such an esteemed developer doesn't use a better logo. Every time I see it, it makes me a little crazy.

100% agree, this looks auto traced. The problem is a lack of brand governance.

minor variance plans:

cfeatoncentre.JPG

Attachments

• cfeatoncentre.JPG
    cfeatoncentre.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 509
BMO taking Sears office space.

http://www.costar.com/News/Article/BMO-and-Cadillac-Fairview-Redeveloping-Sears-Space/198593

BMO and Cadillac-Fairview Redeveloping Sears Space
Bank Moving Employees from Other Toronto Locations as Part of Bold Remake of Retailer's Former Eaton Centre Space
By selling the top half of its flagship store in Chicago to Brookfield Asset Management, which will convert it to office use.

Cadillac-Fairview, which owns and manages the CF Pacific Centre in Vancouver, pulled off the same type of redevelopment there, converting former retail space into four floors of office space that now houses Microsoft Canada, Sony Imageworks and Miller Thomson law firm.

In October, retailer Hudson's Bay Co. struck a deal that saw some of its downtown retail space in Toronto and Vancouver converted into office space.

Cadillac-Fairview and Bank of Montreal are expected to announce more details about design plans for the new space at the Thursday press conference.

"Be the first to hear what our workplace of the future will look like," the bank told employees, promising "bold new workplace for BMO at Yonge-Dundas Square."

Interesting bit:

Cadillac's redevelopment group was brought in for the extensive remodel, which is expected to include recladding all four stories of space in glass. "There were no windows at all there," said the source.

The makeover is expected to include a four-storey light well or atrium-type central space, which could take up to 10 percent of the overall new build; each floor is about 80,000 square feet.

AoD

Back