Toronto King Portland Centre and Kingly Condos | 57.6m | 15s | Allied | Hariri Pontarini

Yeah but it's still a phony way to make a structure look like it's bricked, just like modern kitchen cabinets made from particle board with a nice veneer ... nothing beats a bunch of bricklayers on scaffolds laying the real thing:cool:

Why does it matter how it's done? When those bricklayers are gone and the finished product still looks the same as the precast product, who cares how it came to that point?

Why does it matter how it's done? When those bricklayers are gone and the finished product still looks the same as the precast product, who cares how it came to that point?

There is a difference between proper hand laid brick and the precast products out there and the same can be said for stone of all types as well. Having said that, seeing bricklayers up on scaffolds laying brick on mid/high rise towers is increasingly becoming a thing of the past. It's just far too expensive now!

Moar. Of everything.

DSC06584.jpg
DSC06585.jpg
DSC06586.jpg
DSC06587.jpg

Attachments

• DSC06584.jpg
    DSC06584.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 397
  • DSC06585.jpg
    DSC06585.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 414
  • DSC06586.jpg
    DSC06586.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 445
  • DSC06587.jpg
    DSC06587.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 425
There is a difference between proper hand laid brick and the precast products out there and the same can be said for stone of all types as well. Having said that, seeing bricklayers up on scaffolds laying brick on mid/high rise towers is increasingly becoming a thing of the past. It's just far too expensive now!

I wonder which ends up being more durable. Proper hand laid brick is a thing of the past. There's still plenty of 5 to 20 storey towers on the receiving end of a hastily laid brick facade. Budget probably isn't the only reason Allied went with factory panels. It's an office building.

I wonder which ends up being more durable. Proper hand laid brick is a thing of the past. There's still plenty of 5 to 20 storey towers on the receiving end of a hastily laid brick facade. Budget probably isn't the only reason Allied went with factory panels. It's an office building.

Good quality precast brick panels will last longer, especially those that are completely made of cement. The only problem with these is that the "brick" is painted and after 15 years or, more likely less, the paint will start to fade. There are some panels out there that essentially have brick face glued to a cement panel and this type of material will not last very long, I'd say 20-25 years at the most before it starts breaking apart. Good quality brick (hard to find and expensive) will if laid correctly last a very long time, there are many structures out there well over 100 years old but as I mentioned before the material and high labour costs make it extremely expensive.

Is that the cladding on this building? Damn, look at how thin that brick covering is! It looks so cheap and fragile.

No, it's not. That post is a little misleading.
Thanks for flagging that @torontologist. @ProjectEnd tells me that he did not intend to confuse the issue: that in fact is not King Portland Centre, but just an example from somewhere else (nameless) in downtown Toronto where they've used the absolute cheapest of the alternatives to actual brick.

Back