Toronto Oak House Student Residence | 75.55m | 23s | U of T | Diamond Schmitt

Even though it's in bad shape, the building has a lot of heritage character in the brickwork and cornices. There appear to be original terracotta panels on the facade as well. It's a great example of a 19th century commercial building and one of the only buildings of its kind on Spadina from Bloor to College.

Sure, it is nice enough, but if you are a large institution with heritage buildings all over your campus, it must be frustrating to have to comply with new heritage registries when you are trying to meet the demands of your students.

Sure, it is nice enough, but if you are a large institution with heritage buildings all over your campus, it must be frustrating to have to comply with new heritage registries when you are trying to meet the demands of your students.

I don't think it's too different than commercial developers/property managers having to comply with heritage laws (i.e. Allied on King Street).

U of T shouldn't get a free pass in ignoring these sorts of things just because they're an institution, and I really doubt that the inclusion of 698 Spadina is going to make or break the project- the height pushback will be more significant.

I don't think it's too different than commercial developers/property managers having to comply with heritage laws (i.e. Allied on King Street).

U of T shouldn't get a free pass in ignoring these sorts of things just because they're an institution, and I really doubt that the inclusion of 698 Spadina is going to make or break the project- the height pushback will be more significant.

I agree. In fact, I expect more honesty and leadership on the subject from a venerable post-secondary institution than a commercial developer.

I agree. In fact, I expect more honesty and leadership on the subject from a venerable post-secondary institution than a commercial developer.

This is the same institution that hurriedly tore down this building last August for a parking lot. There's no denying U of T has supported great heritage work on high profile projects like 1 Spadina Crescent, but unfortunately they don't seem too interested in showing leadership on preserving / adaptively reusing smaller character buildings like this one.

Give them an extra 5 stories in exchange for preserving and renovating the store. Done.

This is the same institution that hurriedly tore down this building last August for a parking lot. There's no denying U of T has supported great heritage work on high profile projects like 1 Spadina Crescent, but unfortunately they don't seem too interested in showing leadership on preserving / adaptively reusing smaller character buildings like this one.

That one really pissed me off.. with no development to replace it even.

Increased to 24 storeys, although the height has been reduced by 4 metres:
upload_2018-1-3_23-21-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-3_23-21-7.png
    upload_2018-1-3_23-21-7.png
    306.8 KB · Views: 791
I know it’s early but that looks gross.. it reminds me of what happened to the “Campus One” building and how the design went to shit after NIMBY/city meddling.

Looks like they gave in to pressure to retain the charming facade of the book store.

Another P.O.S. D+S residence for U of T students.

Remind me why D+S are held with such high regard among urban thinkers and politicians?

Another P.O.S. D+S residence for U of T students.

Remind me why D+S are held with such high regard among urban thinkers and politicians?

I don't disagree, but their good is in some cases very good, and their bad positively horrendous; a lot of folks I talk to seem to think primarily about the former.

Back