Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I doubt bike lanes and wide sidewalks on their own would suffice. Aren't tax breaks the way municipalities attract businesses? Besides, if businesses are opening suburban locations, they would need parking anyhow, unless the entire area is being massively redeveloped with a lot of high density residential (and maybe not even then). Congestion on Sheppard between Yonge and Don Mills is already pretty bad in the PM peak, so I would not remove lanes without giving drivers viable transit options.

He was referring to commuters living around Line 4 who commute north to York Region, not downtown.

The idea is area revitalization. Not everyone can bike or walk the area but if everyone is accommodated, then that will increase the desirability of the area for businesses. With regards to traffic congestion, again, there is a a SUBWAY along that corridor. It’s probably best that we focus on transit more than the car along these corridors. It will set the precedent that sheppard between Yonge and don mills is a transit area. Parking will be a must for transitions, but must be able to be repurposed easily.

Also, my bad @11th I misread your comment. Until viva green gets much better service and fares are integrated, transit will always be a bitch to use up there.

Reactions: jys
I agree we need to focus much more on public transit, but we need to build it first before making things worse for drivers. Not to mention we need to build a ̶w̶a̶l̶l̶ NETWORK because Line 4 goes nowhere. This means building Sheppard East, Sheppard West, improving the Leslie-Oriole transfer and adding frequent service on RH GO, same thing with Stouffville GO and Sheppard East, DRL at Fairview Mall, high density mixed use development along all those stations and so on and so forth. Addressing traffic congestion will require multiple solutions. Silver buckshot of solutions, if you will, opposed to single silver bullet.

Someone else on this forum expressed earlier that it doesn't make sense to worsen things for drivers without giving them a viable alternative. Many of these drivers would probably love to take quality public transit if it existed, I know I would. Also, I don't understand how accommodating various users makes the area more attractive to business. Genuine question - not being snarky. Believe me, I would love if higher order transit came with a bevy of pedestrian and cyclist goodies. In fact, I think new transit projects should come with public realm improvements, pedestrian connections and changes to make streets and intersections walkable and pedestrian friendly. I hope Toronto and Metrolinx accomplish this with ECLRT and I am looking forward to the results.

Last edited:
Nobody wants to build offices in Vaughan, condos etc when all the major companies, employers, etc are based out of Downtown Toronto. The larger companies in Canada, the places people want to work by necessity have to be close to other related businesses.

That's not necessarily true for "all" employers in every industry. If you say otherwise, then how does Mississauga alone have the head offices of 60 Fortune 500 companies in their city?

That's not necessarily true for "all" employers in every industry. If you say otherwise, then how does Mississauga alone have the head offices of 60 Fortune 500 companies in their city?
Mississauga has some offices....for sure.....but I doubt that 12% of Amrica’s largest companies are actually head officed in a suburb of Canada’s largest city.

Pioneer Village station has the UPS distribution centre.

The 3 Thornhill bus goes to Pioneer Village station (and to York University and even along Willowbrook in Thornhill).

Both Leslie station and VMC station have IKEA (same with Kipling station, though Kipling station is further away from an IKEA than from Leslie and VMC stations combined).

Worth noting here because so many of you talk about the development at VMC: Today I passed by the Home Outfitters store only to spot multiple "Store Closing" signs on nearly all the glass panes at their front entrances. That will make the building completely vacant in a few months. Also, on their front doors they posted laser-printed signs that inform the public that the washrooms are for customers only. I'm not making this up. I didn't want to bring that topic back, but I'm just stating the facts, ma'am.

Worth noting here because so many of you talk about the development at VMC: Today I passed by the Home Outfitters store only to spot multiple "Store Closing" signs on nearly all the glass panes at their front entrances. That will make the building completely vacant in a few months. Also, on their front doors they posted laser-printed signs that inform the public that the washrooms are for customers only. I'm not making this up. I didn't want to bring that topic back, but I'm just stating the facts, ma'am.

That's to be expected. It's probably why they didn't bother removing the Future Shop sign. It's coming down with the building in a couple months anyway.

And I thought things were bad here..

I think Andy bit off more than he can chew. To fix the NYC Subway system would require it to be completely shut and rebuilt. You would need to rip out the stations, rebuild them and replace the rolling stock.

It is not a quick fix short of quite literally imploding the system and rebuilding it. I hate to say it but they wont bother fixing the stations until they cave in and kill someone.

Now here's a link on
Here's How Tiny Toronto's Subway System Is Compared To Other Subways Around The World

It's no secret that Toronto's subway system needs work. But it's only when you put its subway map against those of other major cities around the world that you realize just how much work it really needs. Seriously, some of these cities have such massive subway systems that even seasoned commuters in Toronto might have difficulty navigating through them on their first few go's.

You can talk about population density all you want;
but at the end of the day, Toronto's subway system still isn't nearly as efficient as it could be. If we're ever going to become a "world-class city", we're going to need a subway system that matches up to these glorious ones from around the world:

Back