Toronto Rees Park Playground and Pavillion | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

The New York "street markets" are usually located in high-traffic zones (i.e. Herald Sq, Madison Square), but I would imagine that bureaucratic and implementation fees drive the costs up, and New York price expectations do the rest. The real cheap eats are in the food carts, and in Chinatown (where you do get the volume sales due to the density and neighbourhood patronage).

This current area is a moderately trafficked residential/tourist zone- a full-on street market/farmer's market might not work from the get-go. Things could be implemented successively (like what you mentioned), which allows word to get out and a place's reputation to develop.

Here's how Vancouver is transforming their waterside parking lot: The city with arguably the best waterfront in Canada.
Maybe we can learn from them?

The park looks great, and the development looks a lot like the Well/88 Queen/etc. developments we've been seeing all around Toronto.

I have a gut feeling that the space will feel like a high-end enclave rather than any sort of "indie lanes" (or maybe high-end retail masquerading as indie stores) due to the current affordability issues in Vancouver.

As mentioned before- I think a permanent farmer's market would would work well here- maybe a St Lawrence Market South?

It could be integrated into and under the park itself.

How would that work in the winter? See Toronto's shipping container street eats village. (for example)

The New York "street markets" are usually located in high-traffic zones (i.e. Herald Sq, Madison Square), but I would imagine that bureaucratic and implementation fees drive the costs up, and New York price expectations do the rest. The real cheap eats are in the food carts, and in Chinatown (where you do get the volume sales due to the density and neighbourhood patronage).

This current area is a moderately trafficked residential/tourist zone- a full-on street market/farmer's market might not work from the get-go. Things could be implemented successively (like what you mentioned), which allows word to get out and a place's reputation to develop.

Location is everything, and the 318 QQ stretch of the waterfront is a pass through, not a destination. I think the foot of Yonge or even the old York ramp would be a far, far superior location.

Come to think of it, I think the York ramp site is almost unbeatable. Large and increasing weekday office and residential population, plus proximity to attractions make it a no-brainer. Dump a garage underneath too. It isn't a park - it should be a square.

AoD

How would that work in the winter? See Toronto's shipping container street eats village. (for example)

I think Market 707 does decently for itself, even in its seasonal form.

As for winter operations, I would imagine it would depend on programming + the presence of any sort of winterized structure. Things like winter markets (i.e. the Bryant Park winter market) can draw people out even in colder weather, though more for seasonal retail rather than for your typical food vendors.

Location is everything, and the 318 QQ stretch of the waterfront is a pass through, not a destination. I think the foot of Yonge or even the old York ramp would be a far, far superior location.

Come to think of it, I think the York ramp site is almost unbeatable. Large and increasing weekday office and residential population, plus proximity to attractions make it a no-brainer. Dump a garage underneath too. It isn't a park - it should be a square.

AoD

The York ramp site is unbeatable for anything; the foot of Yonge is probably in an even worse condition until redevelopment of 1 Yonge gets underway.

As for the 318 QQ site, I think that's more to do with its current conditions rather than its potential. I think the site's within walking distance to a couple of residential neighbourhoods, and is close enough to the Skydome, Harbourfront and the Bremner Ave attractions (via Rees) for spillover crowds if the space is nice enough and the offerings attractive.

I imagine that perhaps a space similar to Seattle's Olympic Park that offers higher vantage points + small site attractions (i.e. a carousel, playgrounds, a multi-use space) + food offerings might be quite popular.

Last edited:
As for the 318 QQ site, I think that's more to do with its current conditions rather than its potential. I think the site's within walking distance to a couple of residential neighbourhoods, and is close enough to the Skydome, Harbourfront and the Bremner Ave attractions (via Rees) for spillover crowds if the space is nice enough and the offerings attractive.

I imagine that perhaps a space similar to Seattle's Olympic Park that offers higher vantage points + small site attractions (i.e. a carousel, playgrounds, a multi-use space) + food offerings might be quite popular.

It maybe be technically walking distance to everything, but the psychological distance is huge, and the N/S connection through Rees is pretty charmless.

AoD

Since this property is worth a lot if it was to be sold to a developer . I think the city should build something below the park. Like underground parking for tourists and locals to park in that area. Or an underground convention center etc. To create some form of income for the city.

Here's how Vancouver is transforming their waterside parking lot: The city with arguably the best waterfront in Canada.

35005019172_52290a964b_b.jpg

concord-pacific-northeast-false-creek-f.jpg

concord-pacific-northeast-false-creek-13.jpg

concord-pacific-northeast-false-creek-21.jpg

concord-pacific-northeast-false-creek-14.jpg

concord-pacific-northeast-false-creek-12.jpg

concord-pacific-northeast-false-creek-11.jpg

They're getting their own F&B Row by the waterfront -- we need this.

concord-pacific-northeast-false-creek-2.jpg

This terraced building will house an art museum + hotel + restaurants

ei4labOh.jpg

And the new creekside park:

item_120354_1280px_c392b0a76311418da6afb1042f187f86.jpeg

item_120355_1280px_fe3738cf071041daafc6b15f70fb89d0.jpeg

item_120366_1280px_8280597066bd40a5818a290fca5279c5.jpeg

Looks incredible; I hadn't seen some of those renders -- could you please provide the link/source?

Since this property is worth a lot if it was to be sold to a developer . I think the city should build something below the park. Like underground parking for tourists and locals to park in that area. Or an underground convention center etc. To create some form of income for the city.

The underground portion of this site is spoken for - it will be part of the stormwater storage system. Anyways, on the whole food stalls idea - there is a decent strip of land at Harboufront Centre by Canada and Ontario Square that is is redevelopable - perhaps that could be the spot.

AoD

Last edited:
Anyways, on the whole food stalls idea - there is a decent strip of land at Harboufront Centre by Canada and Ontario Square that is is redevelopable - perhaps that could be the spot.

AoD

I think that's the plan:
Exhibition Common: An interim landscaped activity north of Canada Square to Queens Quay.

When financing and designs are in place, Exhibition Common is expected to become Harbourfront Centre’s Cultural Village. The Cultural Village, a Harbourfront Centre-led initiative, is a low-scale development with cafés, restaurants, shops, artist studios and architect offices located north of Canada Square to Queens Quay.

http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/ontario-square-and-canada-square

That being said, I think Harbourfront Centre needs a general overhaul or even a complete reconstruction.

The park is beautiful. Overall building site layout is not unsimilar to the Well/88 Queen/etc. projects recently popping up in Toronto.

Gut feeling though- rather than indie retail environment envisioned, it'll likely feel more like a high-end enclave with luxury retail (with some high-end stores masquerading as indie stores), due to the likely occupancy of the buildings and the general affordability issues in Vancouver.

Cross-posted to the York Ramp thread:
On another note, from the WT December Board Meeting CEO Report:

York St. and Rees St. Parks Pre-Design Phase
• Following a collaborative process between City of Toronto Parks, Forestry and Recreation (PF&R) and WT it was determined that the delivery of York St. and Rees St. Parks will be co-led by staff from these two organizations. This will commence with a public engagement process and release of RFQ/RFP to procure two design teams for the parks for later this year/early in 2018.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe/...&CACHEID=de4dfb34-f6be-4f7b-961f-d43d17cca860

AoD

Why do we need a park here? There's already a park right across the street. It feels like this stretch needs retail on the north side. Restaurants, sidewalk cafes etc. Something to engage the passerby.

Maybe we can have both? Retail/cafe would be a great addition to the park and could also help fund park maintenance.

Maybe we can have both? Retail/cafe would be a great addition to the park and could also help fund park maintenance.

Not that this would happen.....................but in my ideal (cough, fantasy) world....

Maybe Toronto would swap w/the land owners of the Radisson site and the condos at the foot of Spadina, south side............2 major pieces of waterfront park on the south side, develop the north side (with something nice please).

Also a good excuse to fix HTO park. (level it and start over)

Don't forget this site is also intended for stormwater storage facilities for the central waterfront - that isn't exactly a development friendly use.

AoD

Last edited:

Back