Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

The thought about people walking on the glass actually never came up in my mind. Unfortunately with the amount of sheer stupidity we've seen in this city lately, this is bound to happen and I wouldn't be surprised if whoever decides to walk on the glass and ultimately falls through decides to go through and place a lawsuit against the city for some idiotic reason.

Well... I wonder if they have considered electrifying the supports or put motion sensitive air raid sirens on them. Nothing like the threat of impending invasion or death by electrocution (999 thousand volts, heavy amperage) to prevent people from walking on it.

The thought about people walking on the glass actually never came up in my mind. Unfortunately with the amount of sheer stupidity we've seen in this city lately, this is bound to happen and I wouldn't be surprised if whoever decides to walk on the glass and ultimately falls through decides to go through and place a lawsuit against the city for some idiotic reason.
Clearly you have not been following this thread where, a month or so ago, there were weeks of comments from several on UT worrying themselves sick about people falling through the glass onto the rush-hour crowds below.

Clearly you have not been following this thread where, a month or so ago, there were weeks of comments from several on UT worrying themselves sick about people falling through the glass onto the rush-hour crowds below.
I don't know if it was luck or not, but to find 3 men weighting over 600 pounds on a glass panel was too good to get a shot of them based on past posting someone would fall through it. I suspected the glazing would easy hold a 1,000 pound or more, but no info to back that up.

3 more column to go for the east end of the east frame so they can finish the framing. Most likely will put the frames up at night for the west end when no pedestrian are around.

Indeed I have not been following too closely. Ultimately I know the glass is designed to withstand a good amount of weight from people walking on it, but people jumping on it and showing their stupidity is another matter.

Anyways I digress, the glass and the moat itself are looking very sharp so far.

I don't know if it was luck or not, but to find 3 men weighting over 600 pounds on a glass panel was too good to get a shot of them based on past posting someone would fall through it. I suspected the glazing would easy hold a 1,000 pound or more, but no info to back that up.

This begs the question. Can firefighters use it as a staging area with their gear on i.e. 6+ alarm fire in Union Station and they want to stand there to shoot water in?

I thought it was drunk people falling over the wall on to it as if that happens all the time right now without the glass there.

This begs the question. Can firefighters use it as a staging area with their gear on i.e. 6+ alarm fire in Union Station and they want to stand there to shoot water in?

Dunno, but I fully expect photographers to use it as a staging area with their gear and 6 alarm anorexic models to shoot photos.

If you're referring to the discussion I started a while ago, this is a bit hyperbolic. I had no safety concerns. My guess was just that, sooner or later, a drunk idiot will run on this glass canopy at 3am.

Indeed I have not been following too closely. Ultimately I know the glass is designed to withstand a good amount of weight from people walking on it, but people jumping on it and showing their stupidity is another matter.

Anyways I digress, the glass and the moat itself are looking very sharp so far.
As long as the drunks, skate boarders and homeless wear those slippers when they walk, crawl, skate, spray paint or puke on it...it's all good!

As long as the drunks, skate boarders and homeless wear those slippers when they walk, crawl, skate, spray paint or puke on it...it's all good!

That's definitely what I'm more concerned with- some fools having fun, doing stupid stuff on the roof, and lo and behold- a giant, unsightly scratch running down the middle of the skylight which will probably never get fixed because the cost-benefits of replacing the glass don't work out.

Yeah, well, when the Leafs win the Stanley Cup and the Victory Parade happens along Front Street and a horde of chanting, cheering hockey fans starts standing and jumping on the roof..... don't say we didn't warn ya. ;-)

- Paul

PS - it sure looks wonderful.

Yeah, well, when the Leafs win the Stanley Cup and the Victory Parade happens along Front Street and a horde of chanting, cheering hockey fans starts standing and jumping on the roof..... don't say we didn't warn ya. ;-)

- Paul

PS - it sure looks wonderful.

So we have nothing to worry about then.

Last edited:
Today.. They putting electronic information screen above Via rail ticket counters

union_1.jpg
union2.jpg

Back