Toronto Bathurst Quay Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Kearns Mancini

Again, I think a heated covered walkway would suffice rather than spending millions for something with very little return.

People often walk far longer distances in larger airports.

Again, I think a heated covered walkway would suffice rather than spending millions for something with very little return.

People often walk far longer distances in larger airports.
Agreed and bringing the streetcar tracks to the BB Airport means one of two things:

a. A loop at the airport - which would greatly inconvenience other users of the streetcars who want to go further east, west or north OR
b. A diversion from Queen's Quay and Bathurst to bring the tracks nearer the airport and then continue either west or north. This would simply add travel time to other people.

BB Airport would probably be 'better' if it had a better connection to transit but I see no reason why the City or TTC should pay for this or why other transit customers should have longer or less convenient journeys to accommodate the fairly small number of new customers who would actually use transit to get there. God knows, there are many other places in the City where transit improvements are needed by far more people.

It’s less than 5 minutes walk from the mainland entrance to the streetcar stop at QQ and Bathurst, probably 2 minutes more to the stop at Fleet St and Bathurst. Why spend money on extending the tracks?

Last edited:
Update from Cressy's latest newsletter, including details of the next public meeting:

Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Park and Public Realm Improvements Update
Earlier this year, City Council approved the Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan. It is a huge win for the community's visions instead of outside interests. The Neighbourhood Plan protects Bathurst Quay and it formally set in motion the steps necessary to achieve our long term goals for the neighbourhood:

1. Creating new high-quality parks and improving our existing public spaces;
2. Enhancing our community facilities including building a new public aquatic centre;
3. Re-energizing the Canada Malting Silos with a focus on arts, culture, open space, and community uses; and
4. Shifting airport traffic to public transit, walking, and cycling while relocating the remaining vehicle traffic to an underground drop-off loop.

Later this month, I am hosting a community consultation meeting with City staff to provide updates and discuss parks and public realm improvements in Bathurst Quay. This will include an update about the ongoing work to improve Coronation Park, a discussion of evolving plans for the Stadium Road Parks (north and south), and sharing the latest detailed designs for the new public space surrounding the Canada Malting Silos.

Preliminary plans for the new public space around the Silos were shared at the Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Association (BQNA) AGM meeting in May, and you can catch up with those presentation materials here: http://www.waterfrontforall.ca/bathurst_quay.

Date: Saturday, November 25, 2017
Time: 2:00 to 4:00 pm
Location: Waterfront Neighbourhood Centre, Dance Studio (Queens Quay and Bathurst)

Drop in anytime during the meeting to view materials and speak with City staff. The presentation on Stadium Road Park and Coronation Park will begin at 2:30 pm. The presentation on the Canada Malting Silos site public realm will being at 3:00 pm.

I always thought the silos were ugly and should be demolished. Then this year British Architect Thomas Heatherwick completed the Zeitz MOCAA (Museum of Contemporary Art Africa) in Cape Town, and I was impressed with his creative genius in the re-use of their silos to create a stunning piece of architecture-a real triumph, and probably one of the best building in the world this year. I wish we could do something like that with our silos. Not holding my breath.

https://www.dezeen.com/2017/09/15/thomas-heatherwick-zeitz-mocaa-cape-town-art-museum-south-africa/
https://www.archdaily.com/879763/zeitz-museum-of-contemporary-art-africa-heatherwick-studio

I always thought the silos were ugly and should be demolished. Then this year British Architect Thomas Heatherwick completed the Zeitz MOCAA (Museum of Contemporary Art Africa) in Cape Town, and I was impressed with his creative genius in the re-use of their silos to create a stunning piece of architecture-a real triumph, and probably one of the best building in the world this year. I wish we could do something like that with our silos. Not holding my breath.

https://www.dezeen.com/2017/09/15/thomas-heatherwick-zeitz-mocaa-cape-town-art-museum-south-africa/
https://www.archdaily.com/879763/zeitz-museum-of-contemporary-art-africa-heatherwick-studio

Absolutely stunning!!! Thanks for sharing.

From Cressy's Twitter:

Here's a preview of plans for a new public space in Bathurst Quay around the Malting Silos and Ireland Park. Join me Nov. 25 to learn more: http://www.joecressy.com/november_25_community_consultation_bathurst_quay_neighbourhood…

DPFXifiWsAEOsFH.jpg

Here are a few renderings and plans from the meeting tonight.

DPgBI3kWkAIwj0F.jpg

DPgHUn9UQAADJCp.jpg

DPgHUn-UQAEz7hL.jpg

Attachments

• DPgHUn9UQAADJCp.jpg
    DPgHUn9UQAADJCp.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 661
  • DPgHUn-UQAEz7hL.jpg
    DPgHUn-UQAEz7hL.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 614
  • DPgBI3kWkAIwj0F.jpg
    DPgBI3kWkAIwj0F.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 715
Some highlights:

• A "Silos Square" will surround the silos, connecting Little Ireland Park to the north and to Eireann Quay.
  • An aquatic centre is being envisioned for the silos site (not the silos themselves).
  • Airport parking is moved below ground, under the aquatic centre.
  • Portland wave deck (short term) and a bridge (long term) are expected to be built.
  • A waterfront promenade will stretch from Little Ireland Park to marina the west.
  • The 509 streetcar (referred to as an LRT throughout) will be realigned south to follow the same layout as the rest of Queens Quay east of Spadina: tracks to the south, single file car lanes to the north, wide sidewalks and bike lanes south of the streetcar, separated by trees.

Overall plan:

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 7.34.57 PM.png

Current state:

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 7.40.56 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 7.40.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 7.40.56 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 670
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 7.34.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 7.34.57 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 765
Last edited:
If I’m reading this correctly - the 509 will no longer go to Exhibition? I don’t see switches to go westbound from Bathurst.

If I’m reading this correctly - the 509 will no longer go to Exhibition? I don’t see switches to go westbound from Bathurst.

What do you mean, the lines continue along Fleet Street like they do today.

That intersection is going to be the subject of a separate study and redesign but I’m sure the 509 will remain.

Back