News   Apr 18, 2024
 552     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.5K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

The end of FHRITP in Toronto?

There really needs to be viewer advisories.

Or a profanity delay on live broadcasts that the media choose to do in an uncontrolled environment.....oh wait, they have that, but the typical producer in the control room doesn't know how to push a button.

Or a profanity delay on live broadcasts that the media choose to do in an uncontrolled environment.....oh wait, they have that, but the typical producer in the control room doesn't know how to push a button.
Well then, they need more training (since some of the people in the control room have extremely slow reflexes). As I said, the profanity delay (as it is currently implemented) did nothing to prevent the Mike Tyson CP24 interview incident from happening.

Perhaps a combination of viewer advisories and a ten-second delay would be better.

By the way, here is the full transcript of the Mike Tyson CP24 interview: http://cbsc.ca/english/decisions/2015/150408appa.pdf

Last edited:
Looks like they've identified the guy in the sunglasses proudly admitting that they were waiting for their opportunity to pull a FHRITP on the reporter too: Ryan Hart who works at a company called Cognex.

http://m.torontosun.com/2015/05/13/mlse-banning-four-tfc-fans-after-incident-with-reporter

MLSE banning four TFC fans after incident with reporter
Jenny Yuen
Today at 8:09 PM

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment is moving to enforce an indefinite ban on four Toronto FC fans in the wake of the vulgar confrontation with CityNews reporter Shauna Hunt, a source says.
The Toronto Sun has also learned the identity of a second man captured on the video with Hunt Sunday after the TFC home opener.

Ryan Hart is the man wearing a Toronto FC jersey and aviator shades who admitted to Hunt he was waiting for an opportunity with his group of friends to say the vulgar phrase “f--- her in the p----†while she was on camera.

“I feel that it’s quite ... substantial,†he told the reporter outside BMO Field on Sunday of saying the phrase. “When else are you going to do it?†A few moments after, he asked Hunt while looking into the camera, “Are you actually filming this?†Hunt then told him she’s sick of such behaviour.
“I get this every single day, 10 times a day,†she said.

Hart shrugged and smiled, moved into the microphone and said, “I’m sick of it.â€

According to a now-deleted LinkedIn profile, Hart worked as a sales executive at Cognex Corp. in Toronto. The company released a statement Tuesday, but would not confirm his identity.

“While the individual was attending the event on his own time and was not at a Cognex activity, the views expressed are totally inconsistent with Cognex’s values, and we find such comments reprehensible,†company spokesman Sarah Laskowski said, adding they “will be addressing it.â€

A number of people have been critical on the Cognex Facebook page following the incident.
“Do the right thing Cognex and fire Ryan Hart. What must it be like to be a female working for your company,†Lynn Simmons wrote.

On Tuesday, Hydro One said it was in the process of firing Shawn Simoes — who the Sun has identified as the man wearing the yellow Arsenal jersey in the viral clip — for violating its code of conduct.

“Respect for all people is ingrained in our values. We’re committed to a work environment where harassment of any kind is met with zero tolerance and a swift response,†said Daffyd Roderick, the company’s director of communications.

In the aftermath, Hunt asked Simoes, “What if your mom saw you?â€

“My mom would die laughing,†he replied with a laugh.

Simoes also said Hunt was lucky she did not have a “vibrator†in her ear.

According to the 2014 Sunshine List, Simoes worked as an assistant network management engineer and earned a salary of roughly $106,510 with $709.10 in taxable benefits.

A source confirmed Hart and Simoes, who are TFC season ticket holders, are among the four being banned from all MLSE games — TFC, Maple Leafs and Raptors — and properties.

“We have to work to protect the experience for all of our fans — and in this case, the media working at all our venues — and we take the obligation very seriously and we take the ban very seriously,†said MLSE spokesman Dave Haggith.

The Ontario Hydro Soccer League confirmed Wednesday Simoes has played on its teams in the past and planned on participating this season, “however, we have suspended him indefinitely from the league due to his actions,†said league president Mike Schleiffer.

A crowdfunding campaign was launched online to help Simoes recover from the financial and emotional burden of being fired, but that was quickly shut down by 3 p.m. Wednesday.

“I think the grand total raised is $0,†organizer Nick Lancaster said. “Sorry — this story doesn’t have legs. I was hoping to generate some buzz but his 15 minutes are already over.â€

Lancaster said he didn’t know Simoes personally but sympathized he felt he was “like a fox chased by a pack of dogs.

“Whether you think his actions were harmless or offensive, his life has become international news,†Lancaster said. “Twenty years ago this FHRITP ‘trend’ wouldn’t have happened of course, but the subsequent public crucifixion would also have been impossible. He’d have been an ‘in other news’ item at the end of the local 6 p.m. broadcast.â€

That's not what the article says. The lawyers are making the case that firing him "with cause" could be difficult. Hardly anyone gets fired with cause - my assumption has always been that they would need to do it "without cause" and just eat the costs.

The conversation would go along the lines of "We no longer require your services. Here's your severance check and the form to collect EI. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out".

I don't think anyone has brought up a similar case of the Toronto firefighter who was fired after a series of misogynistic tweets.

I remember meeting a lawyer from the firm who represented the firefighter. He told me that the case was a done deal and that the firefighter would get his job back, but I guess that didn't pan out: http://www.torontosun.com/2014/11/24/firefighter-loses-fight-to-keep-job-after-tweets

I'm no lawyer myself, but one relevant difference may be that the firefighter had publicly identified himself as a member of Toronto Fire Services on Twitter.

However, I can see from the comments that I'm on the wrong side of this issue. I'm surprised. The media are usually so strong on free speech issues. But when the speech in question is directed against them, it's a very different attitude it seems.
It's not one issue.

Four issues are:
- the original actions (which are arguably criminal)
- the one-year MLSE ban
- the firing
- the mob bullying

Many seem to be using the first issue, to justify the others. Personally the first disgusts me, and I'd think that criminal action should be taken against such misogyny. The second seems reasonable, given the context. The third deeply troubles me ... though I've seen more than enough comments from those unfortunate enough to have had to sit near the individuals in question for years, or live near them, that I'm no longer that concerned.

The final issue deeply disturbs me.

And then there's the media hypocrisy. Apparently this has been going on for sometime ... and has been particularly bad at Leaf games. But the media chooses to make it an issue at a soccer game? The media keeps running these stories implying soccer fans are hooligans, disproportionately compared to football or hockey fans.

And really, CITY TV went with this? Despite refusing for years to deal with their own bigotry and Ghomeshi-type issues in their offices? And Avery Haines of all people leading with this, after she got fired from CTV after her comments about blacks, Asians, lesbians, and gimps in wheelchairs!?!?

And then there's the media hypocrisy. Apparently this has been going on for sometime ... and has been particularly bad at Leaf games. But the media chooses to make it an issue at a soccer game? The media keeps running these stories implying soccer fans are hooligans, disproportionately compared to football or hockey fans.

I don't see that they're singling out soccer -why would they do that? so TFC gets run out of town and they don't have to cover MLS anymore? - it's been going on for a long time and certainly not just at sports events.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...nalists-speak-out-about-vulgar-joke-1.2832612

Someone did it to Tracy Tong of CP24 outside the Bill Cosby show in Hamilton. Also to Farah Nasser. Siobhan Morris has been pretty consistently reporting it when it happens, so it seems to be more of an effort to get to the root of the problem, not to make sports fans of any particular kind look bad (not that these FHRITP guys need help to look bad).
n

I don't believe that bad taste equates to criminal behaviour, you know it's that pesky little 'free speech' thing. That said, i despair that there is such bad taste out there and am happy for the hue and cry about it. We need to have this conversation in our society, and it should be ongoing. I also feel the employer absolutely has the right to fire such an individual, and with cause. Period.

... so it seems to be more of an effort to get to the root of the problem, not to make sports fans of any particular kind look bad (not that these FHRITP guys need help to look bad
I could believe that until I saw the number of remote TV trucks outside BMO Field yesterday. They have NEVER been remotes there for a mid-week Canadian championship game before. It's almost like they were looking for it to happen again.

It's so bizarre... in the original viral video it was a male reporter saying the phrase about a missing woman. In the second round "hoax" videos the phrase isn't directed at the reporter at all, he's just saying it about someone else. It's just vulgar nonsense that isn't really directed at the reporter, or anyone. People say it because you can't say FHRITP on live TV and it's disruptive, not they actually want to do that to the reporter. People do it with male reporters all the time.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2015/05/13/how-that-vulgar-phrase-was-born-menon.html

Last edited:
I could believe that until I saw the number of remote TV trucks outside BMO Field yesterday. They have NEVER been remotes there for a mid-week Canadian championship game before. It's almost like they were looking for it to happen again.

So either City unwittingly created more interest in TFC after supposedly trying to malign their fans, or other networks are looking to interview people about it?

It's so bizarre... in the original viral video it was a male reporter saying the phrase about a missing woman. In the second round "hoax" videos the phrase isn't directed at the reporter at all, he's just saying it about someone else. It's just vulgar nonsense that isn't really directed at the reporter, or anyone. People say it because you can't say FHRITP on live TV and it's disruptive, not they actually want to do that to the reporter. People do it with male reporters all the time.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2015/05/13/how-that-vulgar-phrase-was-born-menon.html

So it's like an offensive 'Bababooey' bomb? Interesting, if anything this goes to show why we have to be careful with freedom of speech issues.

I don't believe that bad taste equates to criminal behaviour, you know it's that pesky little 'free speech' thing. That said, i despair that there is such bad taste out there and am happy for the hue and cry about it. We need to have this conversation in our society, and it should be ongoing. I also feel the employer absolutely has the right to fire such an individual, and with cause. Period.

C'mon Tewder, it's not 'free speech' if I punch you in the head. This is not a 'free speech' issue. I'm impressed by the number of people that are trying to 'nuance' this thing.

Back