150.5 KB · Views: 973
It's the 40th anniversary of the CN Tower -- here's the beginnings:

Beginnings of the CN Tower by Bobolink.JPG

Attachments

• Beginnings of the CN Tower by Bobolink.JPG
    Beginnings of the CN Tower by Bobolink.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 1,118
Prof. Gentry's Dog & Pony Circus at the Toronto Industrial Exhibition 1900

Prof. Gentry's Educated Pony & Dog Circus at the Toronto Industrial Exhibition 1900.JPG

Attachments

• Prof. Gentry's Educated Pony & Dog Circus at the Toronto Industrial Exhibition 1900.JPG
    Prof. Gentry's Educated Pony & Dog Circus at the Toronto Industrial Exhibition 1900.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 879
"Prof. Gentry's Dog & Pony Circus at the Toronto Industrial Exhibition 1900"
Prof Goldie.

That ain't just an ordinary "Dog & Pony Show"; that's a Circus!
LOL

Regards,
J T

I grew up and live in North York, but down by the 401. However, I'm quite familiar with Yonge between Hogg's Hollow and Doncaster, where I used to accompany my mom when she shopped at Bi-way. Remember Studio 81? Farther south, remember the Willow theatre and the Fire Pit next to the fire station? Ah, fond memories from my childhood in the '80s.:)

Spent many Friday nights at the original Fire Pit after hitting bars like the Black Sheep. The Willow IIRC was two movies for something like $5. Me and a friend broke in one night after demolition work was starting on it and went up to the projector room and then the roof. Too bad the police station was/is directly across the street. Luckily they let us go with a warning.

Spent many Friday nights at the original Fire Pit after hitting bars like the Black Sheep. The Willow IIRC was two movies for something like $5. Me and a friend broke in one night after demolition work was starting on it and went up to the projector room and then the roof. Too bad the police station was/is directly across the street. Luckily they let us go with a warning.
Ha, nice story about breaking in during demolition. That would have been late-'80s or early-'90s, no? Such a pity, too, about Fire Pit. It was like Harvey's, but better quality. Apparently there's still one outlet in Mississauga.
Yes, Willow was good for the cheap double-bill. We saw quite a few films there as a family in the '80s, among them Stand by Me and The Purple Rose of Cairo.
Here's a pic of the Willow from what must be 1981 (I can just make out Eye of the Needle on the marquee). She sure wasn't all that pretty a movie palace.
willowShow.jpeg

AlbertHWagstaff said:
e.g. Bargain Harold's, Family Fair, Towers.
Yep, and Willy Wonderful, Hy and Zel's (still a few of these hanging in), and of course the bigger guys like Eaton's, Simpsons, et al.

An interesting aerial view of Leaside in 1929 (looking S/E).

During WWII the Leaside Aerodrome was constructed here (1917). Some of the Hangers are visible, left-centre.
The Durant Motor Company plant can be seen at the S/E corner of Laird Drive and Wicksteed Ave.
Durant left in 1933 and the site became the Canada Wire and Cable facility.
At top is the racetrack at Thorncliffe Park which closed in 1952.
And the Leaside Bridge (built 1927) is immediately beside the race track.

Leaside aerial 1929.JPG

Attachments

• Leaside aerial 1929.JPG
    Leaside aerial 1929.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 1,585
nice pic, goldie

you can also see walmsley brook as it crosses under the intersection of parkhurst and sutherland -- it then runs alongside the durant plant where commercial road is now, and crosses the CP track amongst the trees in the left distance, where beth nealson drive is now

in the right foreground is the valley of walmsley brook which will become howard talbot park... but what are those 4 round thingies on the hillside? one of those buildings has to be the historic Elgie house built in the mid 1800s

there used to be a fire pit on the west side of Victoria park just south of oconnor....my late uncle used to take me there as a kid...loved the veal sandwich.
the land in which it sits is still vacant even though the building was demolished maybe over 15 years ago if not more....

The original Fire Pit moved when they demolished the block for the Empress Centre. It moved a few blocks north (where the St. Louis' is today) where it lasted for a while. But I think the owners changed and the food wasn't as good so I stopped going. Instead I started going to John Anderson's across the street (where Duca is today).

Back