Toronto Westlake | 153.31m | 48s | Onni Group | P + S / IBI

Don't know if Starbucks will be open right away. There's a sign on the Park Lawn-facing side of Metro saying that it's opening on the 26th.

Received an email saying both Metro and SDM opening this weekend. Special deals and promotions happening.

apparently the metro will be a "high end" one, trying to compete with Loblaws new store model like at Maple Leaf Gardens.

Both are open today. Metro looks really good. Love how the store is actually below grade, cars going at eye-level. Every dept is open including Starbucks. They even have fresh live seafood. Got a guy playing the accordian. Enjoying my wedge fries as we speak. :D

Ya it's a nice store with friendly staff who will quickly learn all their produce codes lol. The key is don't even try parking here on this weekend. Yesterday we drove with a friend in the area and made the mistake of parking outside the Metro. Apparently this is a no-no. Security came over to tell us that all outdoor parking is only for the developer Onni's own use for sales or executives. An exception would be made if we quickly ran into Starbucks.

He told us that because we were going to be 20 mins shopping to park in the underground parking garage P1. When we got to P1 we were told by another security guard that P1 was only for executives and VIP (I kid you not) and to park in P2. We went "WTF?"

We attempted to find P2 with no luck either. The problem is the unclear signage and parking space numbers on every column which makes you feel that you are parking in someone's exclusive condo spot. Not cool and kinda confusing. We gave up and parked in one of these numbered spots and took our chances.

We took the elevator up and we were greeted with free reusable shopping bags and a $5 gift card that we redeemed. Prices were like other Metros but they had some great opening specials for this weekend only. Tons of staff were super friendly and many VIP's were looking out to the empty parking area likely wondering why Metro shoppers can't park there too!

It's a great (and long awaited) addition to HBS. If people don't mind the massive construction delays on Parklawn right now, coupled with people who have no clue what new signals and new intersections mean (many people were out in the new intersection on red lights and very clueless), and you don't mind confusing parking arrangements (we never did find P2 and the elevator didn't even have a P2) and security guards who aren't communicating well, and many trades still working all over the place, then certainly come this weekend or just walk here. They will need some time to work things out like all new stores in new developments. But over all it's great :)

Both are open today. Metro looks really good. Love how the store is actually below grade, cars going at eye-level. Every dept is open including Starbucks. They even have fresh live seafood. Got a guy playing the accordian. Enjoying my wedge fries as we speak. :D

I went last night (too bad the store is only open till 11, but I'm sure it'll be 24/7 in due time).

Great layout, great options, reasonable prices (amazing sales) and the Sbux is just a great addition. I wonder what restaurants will move to the two vacant spaces - Jack Astors would be great for the drinks only.

Parking was a non-issue for me this morning. There were many cars parked and many curious drive-bys. You just need to inform the guy patrolling the area with a clipboard. I can already see this place really busy. It was already busy on a Friday morning. Can't imagine what it'll be like when all 3 towers are occupied and more people living nearby shopping.

I detoured on the way out tonight…

The Shoppers is nothing out of the ordinary. The Metro is easily the nicest one of those I've been in…

P1440518.jpg

P1440522.jpg

P1440525.jpg

P1440527.jpg

P1440528.jpg

P1440529.jpg

P1440531.jpg

P1440532.jpg

P1440534.jpg

P1440536.jpg

Attachments

• P1440518.jpg
    P1440518.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 751
  • P1440522.jpg
    P1440522.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 767
  • P1440525.jpg
    P1440525.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 780
  • P1440527.jpg
    P1440527.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 794
  • P1440528.jpg
    P1440528.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 785
  • P1440529.jpg
    P1440529.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 794
  • P1440531.jpg
    P1440531.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 773
  • P1440532.jpg
    P1440532.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 766
  • P1440534.jpg
    P1440534.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 772
  • P1440536.jpg
    P1440536.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 752
This project is so bland I find it hard to come up with any impressions at all. It's the purgatory of design aesthetic.

[video=youtube;B4qzU39jK-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4qzU39jK-8[/video]

That said, the podium isn't entirely inoffensive because nothing lines up on it or makes visual sense. It's a mish-mash of simple geometry that still somehow doesn't work together well.

I agree that the towers are in no way splendid (as is 95 percent of condos in TO). I was intrigued with the potential of the street level retail. I can this picture this as a vibrant area as a gathering/meeting place for not only Westlake residents, but anyone that lives in HB. They already have a major grocer, pharmacy and bank. I hope there will be restaurants and cafes.

That's exactly it. The towers are passable and average. That's too bad.

The retail however is very well done. Aside from the three confirmed retailers (Metro, Shoppers and TD) there was a leasing plan I saw with the last lakeshore-facing unit with a Scotiabank but that's been removed.
So we have 5 spaces still available of which two are supposed to be restaurants. Then Encore will also have two restaurant spaces.

I didn't know that the space facing Lakeshore in phase 2 is mostly retail (Block A). Always thought it is the lobby.

Back