Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

8.5m is almost 3 stories high, wow.

Would be really interesting to see some rough conceptual drawings, so we can visualize the massing and it's impact along that stretch.

It's def the best option (vs tunnel) but that is going to be one giant eye sore for the area.

Would be really interesting to see some rough conceptual drawings, so we can visualize the massing and it's impact along that stretch.

It's def the best option (vs tunnel) but that is going to be one giant eye sore for the area.

Also need to visualize it with noise walls, electrical infrastructure, etc. Think of the bridge as 8.5m high with 5m noise walls on top. Though the need for noise walls is still TBD, I think.

You know, I wonder if it would be even cheaper to just plop in a new track onto the north side of the North Toronto sub, and send Barrie trains to Spadina Road. CP freight operations could just be shifted south to what is now used as a road for hi-rail vehicles. No grade separation necessary.

Also need to visualize it with noise walls, electrical infrastructure, etc. Think of the bridge as 8.5m high with 5m noise walls on top. Though the need for noise walls is still TBD, I think.

It would be kind of neat it they could manage to build a 5-10 storey condo wall along sections of the elevated tracks, in order to act as a noise wall. From the street, you wouldn't even know that there was an elevated rail line behind the condos. Heck, if you wanted to get really adventurous you could build a condo complex over top of the elevated corridor, or at least build a roof on it and put a common area for both condos on top (like a rooftop patio). It may not work for every section of the elevated guideway, but it would help buffer some areas.

It would be kind of neat it they could manage to build a 5-10 storey condo wall along sections of the elevated tracks, in order to act as a noise wall. From the street, you wouldn't even know that there was an elevated rail line behind the condos. Heck, if you wanted to get really adventurous you could build a condo complex over top of the elevated corridor, or at least build a roof on it and put a common area for both condos on top (like a rooftop patio). It may not work for every section of the elevated guideway, but it would help buffer some areas.

There's already a pretty solid series of new / upcoming condos all along the east side of the tracks between Lappin and Davenport. Doubt those people are too excited to learn about a bridge/wall just outside their windows.

On the west side of the tracks it's pretty mixed between somewhat new townhouses, parks, commercial buildings and upcoming condo construction.

If there was a chance to start from scratch, sure...but really no much opportunity to incorporate walls/bridge into building projects.

There's already a pretty solid series of new / upcoming condos all along the east side of the tracks between Lappin and Davenport. Doubt those people are too excited to learn about a bridge/wall just outside their windows.

On the west side of the tracks it's pretty mixed between somewhat new townhouses, parks, commercial buildings and upcoming condo construction.

If there was a chance to start from scratch, sure...but really no much opportunity to incorporate walls/bridge into building projects.

That's true, but there are still a couple of select locations where that type of arrangement could work. At least the condos will act as a visual and sound barrier though, although I agree that the track-facing owners may not be too happy.

That's true, but there are still a couple of select locations where that type of arrangement could work. At least the condos will act as a visual and sound barrier though, although I agree that the track-facing owners may not be too happy.

Despite electrification, Metrolinx is installing noise walls in the Georgetown South Corridor to mitigate vibration and meet MOE guidelines (therefore they are required; it's not a judgement call).

I'm going to guess the same may apply here, but I don't know the ramifications for vibration by sending the train onto an elevated structure vs. the ground. I know Metrolinx has laid down ballast mats to mitigate some of the vibration in GTS but beyond that I don't have the technical knowledge to guess what that means for the Barrie line. The number of trains (GO+UPX+VIA vs. GO only) may have ramifications too.

This is all detailed stuff they will study during the TPAP.

How high are the UPX bridges and viaducts, especially near the airport, for comparison purposes?

upx.jpg

Last edited:
You know, I wonder if it would be even cheaper to just plop in a new track onto the north side of the North Toronto sub, and send Barrie trains to Spadina Road. CP freight operations could just be shifted south to what is now used as a road for hi-rail vehicles. No grade separation necessary.

And where do you find the land to build such a curve?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

DavenportDiamond_PublicOpenHouse1_Bridges.jpg

This is from the bridge option back in 2009. I would expect something similar, height-wise, though they're now putting it on pillars instead of a solid berm-like thing.

Also....does not show 5m high sound walls (if those are indeed necessary).

Renderings as viewed from the residential properties and parks would be interesting to see too :)

Attachments

• DavenportDiamond_PublicOpenHouse1_Bridges.jpg
    DavenportDiamond_PublicOpenHouse1_Bridges.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 654
No, I think it'll be a berm. The size of the pillars required to support GO and freight trains is too much, its cheaper to use a berm wherever possible. The UPX got away with it as it only needs to support lighter trains.

No, I think it'll be a berm. The size of the pillars required to support GO and freight trains is too much, its cheaper to use a berm wherever possible. The UPX got away with it as it only needs to support lighter trains.

Metrolinx has been promising pillars when speaking in-person and at public meetings. That's the only way that they can free up the space underneath for "community benefits" etc...etc...

Back