Toronto U of T: John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design | 18.9m | 3s | U of T | NADAAA

yeah, probably... it just doesn't look quite right yet.

But they've already removed all the scaffolding, so maybe they won't be bothering?

To remove all dark residues, you almost have to remove the outer layer of brick, and that compromises the integrity of the masonry. They just sand-blasted (sand-blasted!) St. Basil's in the St Michael's campus, and I'm shocked at how much they removed to achieve the glowing yellow colour. The patina of age isn't a bad thing - it sets up an atmosphere of it's own - communicates the connection of this building with its past.

^Exactly. The state of the brick has to be considered when sand or water-blasting it as to how much grime you can safely take off without damaging the brick itself. Some bricks are not robust enough to take more extreme measures, and that looks like that could be the case here.

Personally I quite enjoy the aged look anyway. The yellow brick is lovely but this building is well over 100 years old, it doesn't need to look like it was built yesterday. Too many of Toronto's older buildings are expected to look as clean as if they were built yesterday, god forbid we should have a little grime on older buildings.

And while it is necessary for the renovation, the removal of the overgrown ivy took away from the stereotypical collegiate feel. One can only wonder how much cleaning they will do on UC when they embark on their reno project.

Speaking of this project - NADAAA blog has another entry on the parabolic ceiling - they managed to incorporate a radiant cooling system into it.

AoD

Personally I quite enjoy the aged look anyway. The yellow brick is lovely but this building is well over 100 years old, it doesn't need to look like it was built yesterday. Too many of Toronto's older buildings are expected to look as clean as if they were built yesterday, god forbid we should have a little grime on older buildings.

Not to mention that the amount of time for which these buildings actually appeared as though they were "just built yesterday" was almost that- dirt, soot, etc. would have had their way with cleanliness in a flash. To clean masonry to the point of trying to make it appear as though it was just built yesterday is disingenuous, and ultimately harmful if maintained as such.

I don't mind an aged look, but to restore and a facade and stop halfway isn't a good idea. When a facade is restored it should look like the Munk School from Bloor Street. That facade looks the way the architect intended it to--down to the deliberate choice to combine rough grey stone with smooth beige stone accents. You don't see those details on a greyed facade.

When restored facades have that "new" look, they're the strongest links to the past--like seeing colour photographs of 19th century life instead of just black and white. That's what people saw in 1900. Those facades impressed them as state of the art because they could see they were sophisticated (and still are). They're not just some "ye olde" antiquity today. Imagine Old City Hall with its blackened facade before the restoration. You wouldn't notice the red and yellow stone details that demonstrate the sophistication of the design and the craftsmanship.

Last edited:
I don't mind an aged look, but to restore and a facade and stop halfway isn't a good idea. When a facade is restored it should look like the Munk School from Bloor Street. That facade looks the way the architect intended it to--down to the deliberate choice to combine rough grey stone with smooth beige stone accents. You don't see those details on a greyed facade.

When restored facades have that "new" look, they're the strongest links to the past--like seeing colour photographs of 19th century life instead of just black and white. That's what people saw in 1900. Those facades impressed them as state of the art because they could see they were sophisticated (and still are). They're not just some "ye olde" antiquity today. Imagine Old City Hall with its blackened facade before the restoration. You wouldn't notice the red and yellow stone details that demonstrate the sophistication of the design and the craftsmanship.

Fair enough, I can't argue with this logic. I do maintain that some buildings are better left either grimy or at least semi-grimy but there are definitely instances where a complete cleaning up makes sense.

When restored facades have that "new" look, they're the strongest links to the past--like seeing colour photographs of 19th century life instead of just black and white. .

Fair enough - when it is technically possible to clean without damaging - go for it. However, if squeaky clean is the game we all feel compelled to play, people can damage their structures, or even worse...cover them with EIFS or paint faux bricks. I think culturing acceptance around authentic age is something the School of Architecture may embrace as part of their educational mandate?

I think some age is much more attractive in heritage buildings. I am sad to see the vines go. But I love this design. I think its really exciting that a northbound spadina view of this building is the restored historic building, but southbound on spadina will be a very modern new building. Very exciting. Not to mention that back half of the property had been neglected for so long and was such an eyesore.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5S 2J5

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 14 265586 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Dec 18, 2014

Project: University Multiple Projects

Description: Proposal to construct a 3 storey rear addition to existing University of Toronto campus building - Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design. See also 13 268218 STE, 14 131953 MV and 14 188319 DEM.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2651.JPG
    IMG_2651.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,123
  • IMG_2650.JPG
    IMG_2650.JPG
    758.5 KB · Views: 1,110
  • IMG_2647.JPG
    IMG_2647.JPG
    664.2 KB · Views: 1,105
They have recently cleared the back of the property, cleaned up the existing walls and boarded up the back windows. Looks like they will be starting the addition pretty soon.

Back