Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I doubt there will be much appetite for holding up a billion dollars in investment for something that can't really be changed at this point, even less for a personal vendetta from a local councillor...realizing that most of the money here is not coming from Mizrahi but pension funds and the like...

I'm interested in the subway connection, will it be a new subway connection, or just a connection to the path...

In the presentations they talked about PATH connections specifically. Didn't hear anything about direct subway connections.

So far so good, but we've heard this talk of "tallest building in Canada" talk before only to see the building in the final plan have it's height reduced by a significant margin.

I just can't get excited about this proposal.

I have no problem with the height, and in fact it could go taller for all I care, at this stage. And honestly, I don't care about the "loss" of the Stollery exterior. Stollery's, imho, was a sad old place, made worse by the desperate old duffs working there who tried, often begged, to sell me clothes.

The fact is that this is a clumsy proposal. There is not much redeeming about it. Bring on Jean Nouvel. Please.

A few points--

For one, I love the design. I think it'll be beautiful in our city. For another, I'd love to see excavation start asap, but what about sales? Don't these things usually have to hit at least 80% of units sold for financing or building to safely proceed?

Finally, if KWT did hold this up--and I've seen no evidence to suggest that she will--that'd be massively disappointing.

I simply cannot wait to see this rise. It'll be amazingly exciting.

Think an Apple store will go into either this building or 1 Bloor East.

This snippet from the Globe & Mail link that others have posted adds some fuel to that rumour.

This exoskeleton model has commercial advantages. The condo floors would be highly flexible and the retail space (more than 240,000 square feet) would be free of structural columns, with 22-foot ceilings. “We call it uncontaminated space,” Mr. Mizrahi said. “This is for global retailers who haven’t been able to bring their vision to Toronto because the space they need doesn’t exist.” Mr. Mizrahi would not disclose any potential tenants. One of the drawings he showed me included space for an “electronics retailer.”

Some street level pics & more.

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.55.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.55.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.56.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.57.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.59.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 1.00.54 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.54.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.54.29 AM.png
    793.9 KB · Views: 879
  • Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.55.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.55.17 AM.png
    515.1 KB · Views: 1,252
  • Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.55.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.55.51 AM.png
    801.4 KB · Views: 1,100
  • Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.56.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.56.42 AM.png
    458.6 KB · Views: 1,084
  • Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.57.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.57.31 AM.png
    905.3 KB · Views: 1,098
  • Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.59.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.59.56 AM.png
    388.2 KB · Views: 1,099
  • Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 1.00.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 1.00.54 AM.png
    430.3 KB · Views: 1,101
16 pages of posts in less than 24 hours. That was quite the read to catch up.

Quite the announcement. Very promising, but I expect we will see more refinement over the next months.

That bolded quote in Salsa's post above is pretty unnecessary to prove the point - just take a look at the rendering of that corner, the tables are straight out of an Apple store, and there's a glass staircase as well, another signature Apple move. Even if that's not direct proof they are on board, its unequivocal in regards to its message. Apple never admits they're opening anywhere before they absolutely have to.

16 pages of posts in less than 24 hours. That was quite the read to catch up.

Quite the announcement. Very promising, but I expect we will see more refinement over the next months.

That bolded quote in Salsa's post above is pretty unnecessary to prove the point - just take a look at the rendering of that corner, the tables are straight out of an Apple store, and there's a glass staircase as well, another signature Apple move. Even if that's not direct proof they are on board, its unequivocal in regards to its message. Apple never admits they're opening anywhere before they absolutely have to.

For years I've been reading about an Eaton Centre Apple Store.
For years I've been reading about a One Bloor East Apple Store.
now for years I'll have to read about a One Bloor West Apple Store.

The cycle continues ;)

Seriously though, this would be a great location for an Apple Store.

Well, they are apparently planning to start excavating the moment they get the required permits.

But KWT has strongly implied while on television (or so it's reported in one of the posts far up-thread) that she's going to delay the permitting process for as long as she can get away with it (apparently as revenge for the rapid Stollery's demolition, as far as I can tell).

So it might be a much longer time than usual before they get those permits.

Well given the way she screwed Mirvish, I wouldn't be surprised. It's unfortunate though, I had hoped Toronto was through with mindless political B.S. after Ford was removed.

I guess the man in second last pic of G.L.17 is sooo much in love with the tower that he is kissing it. LOL! :D

Last edited:
Having a condo tower with open floors is huge!

My only issue with the thousands of micro condo units currently being built is that there is no way to expand or combine them in the future if someone did want a larger unit. With open floors, changing, expanding, reducing or even designing your unit is possible. This is very exciting and while I'm sure they won't be encouraging every purchaser to design their own unit initially, it would be a huge advantage they would have over every other development in the city.

Back