Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Mirhazi was strongly emphasizing how important heritage preservation was to him, so I asked him to explain the descrpancy with his earlier comments to the star:

“We don’t feel there is any heritage value to it and neither did anyone else for the last 100 years,â€

Unsurprsingly, he skated around the question. Didn't say anything of significance. I have a recording that I can quote from when I get home.

I also asked him if the timing of the demolition had anything to do with Wong Tam's push to get heritage preservation. He denied any connection, and said that the demolition had been planned for months in advance to get soil samples (or something like that). I didn't buy his response.

Where is the building core anyways? I can't really see where it is from the ground floor renderings of the tower portion. Maybe that's what that odd elevator stub is about - for some kind of sky lobby?

AoD

Good question, looks like that's the case re; the skylobby, maybe two separate sets of elevator banks for this one.

I'm presuming the wall on the right is where the core for the main part of the building is;
15316-48973.jpeg

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2015/03/mizrahi-developments-one-be-canadas-tallest-building

Looks like its recessed fairly far back from Yonge St. (presuming this image is looking south) perhaps right up to the western facade but still within the main building envelop judging by the stair well/escalator behind it being recessed.

Certainly focuses on the structure of the building.

Obviously reminds of John Hancock, and the exposure of the structure in the atrium also seems to reference HSBC in Hong Kong - also a Foster.

The two recesses up the tower also play off the verticals on the CIBC tower across the street.

Is there a podium to the south on Yonge St. or does the tower take practically the entire footprint along Yonge?

Last edited:
“We don’t feel there is any heritage value to it and neither did anyone else for the last 100 years,”

If he really wanted to put his "how important heritage preservation was to him" money where his mouth was, he'd have known that Stollery's-as-we-knew-it was less than 90 years old. But I guess that's all water under the bridge now...

I just attended the public meeting. The building is spectacular. Bold, expressive, unapologetic yet responsive and connected to it's surroundings. Exactly what this city needs. This is sophisticated architecture for grown-ups, not vanity-driven kitsch for Dubai or Shenzhen fanboys/girls. Except for a smattering of nostalgics and NIMBYs, the audience was onboard enthusiastically. And it's a supertall. Yay!

Its always funny sitting beside one of those in the meetings, the other day I was in a meeting with a guy who made a comment about how the people who supported the project must have been hired by the developer..

Where can I sign up for that job? ;)

Easy. Just attend the public meeting, like the proposal, and then you automatically become a paid shill for the developer.

One thing is true, the values of western exposure units at 1 Bloor just dropped 30%---Before some of the floors are even poured!

I wonder if the City would require the tower to be rotated, so the skinny side faces 1 Bloor East?
Or would that increase shadows to the north too much?

The most unfortunate thing about the tower is that its siting and orientation will block the west side of 1 Bloor East from view.

Last edited:
Forget the building...that lamb was awesome! And I don't even usually like lamb.

I think I spent too much time at the food table....

The presentation was great! Audience was very receptive overall. Just minor concerns from the crowd, mainly to do with the stone facade of Stollery's. Harry Rosen (the person) was also there, and gave his approval to the project.

Are they going to be able to sell these expensive units???

Apparently, they are considering rental with this building. Mizrahi even said they are looking at making the full building rental.

I know it won't happen, but it's good to see they are considering it.

One thing is true, the values of western exposure units at 1 Bloor just dropped 30%---Before some of the floors are even poured!

If that were true Trump wouldn't have been able to sell any of his units minus the penthouse. You sound like my dad who is always complaining about condos being built to close together and ruining views. Whats really strange is my dad has had the opportunity to go to London, new York, paris and parts of china multiple times on business. You would think that after being exposed to so many places so close together that you wouldn't think like this. For my honeymoon we stayed at the rosevelt hotel in new York city for a week. Premium prices despite being right next to another building. This is what happens in a major city especially at a major intersection. You want a condo with a protected view in Toronto then you should move to the suburbs where you have condo in a park design. Good luck with that.

Back