Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

The atrium looks like a very stunning space, and the setbacks/openings in the building mass towards the lower levels will make a great impact from down at pedestrian level. The ground level appears to have some interesting setbacks/porosity (see Christmas tree rendering, etc.) too.

There are some really interesting spaces being created in it, it's not just a pancake building with copy-paste floors.

People who categorize buildings as "box" vs. "not a box" are missing out on the real treasures in a design like this.

Last edited:
Love it.

Especially if the skeleton is made to contrast well with the inner; say metal cladding or dark/glossy stone.

And maybe it's just a render, but the styling of the retail is an Apple Store. Glass cube-like enclosure, glass staircase, open concept with series of tables scattered throughout.

At the consultation now, will be taking loads of model pics. Stay tuned!

There are models there? I'll be over in a sec!

As for the tower itself, I might be hard to please but I was hoping for something more daring in terms of shape. Perhaps a crown of some sort. 1 Bloor East is still the nicest addition to Yonge and Bloor.

The human scale presence at street level is fantastic. I love the green wall. But from a wider skyline view, I'm disappointed.

If only Scotiabank and H&M would sell... This is a design that deserves a bit more 'depth' at ground level. I feel like it needs to breathe more.

It happened at Brant Park it may happen here!

I need to see drawings to understand the lower floors (and the random elevator core tacked onto the west elevation) but overall it looks good! Quite dramatic and metropolitan how it goes straight down towards ground level and the bracing opens up to the sidewalk.

I like your description of this tower as "metropolitan". I agree - this design gives off a very imposing, 'big city' feel. I'd expect to see something like this in Chicago or New York.

Looks great- plus it's a supertall!

xY2g625.gif

And KWT weighs in:

Developer wants 80-storey tower to replace Stollerys

The application has not been formally introduced to the city’s planning division yet, but some city staff members, including Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam saw part of the proposal in February. She refused to comment on specifics of the proposal when speaking to Global News Wednesday but did say the project which she saw didn’t conform to the neighbourhood plan.

“What we want to do is make sure that we hear from the community and go through a proper planning process and the official statutory process. Anything short of that is not acceptable,†Wong-Tam said.

And maybe it's just a render, but the styling of the retail is an Apple Store. Glass cube-like enclosure, glass staircase, open concept with series of tables scattered throughout.

That could literally mean something as simple as the guy working on the renderings likes the look of the Apple store or was instructed to give the retail a high-end look. Don't read far into a rendering unless you want to disappoint yourself.

I like your description of this tower as "metropolitan". I agree - this design gives off a very imposing, 'big city' feel. I'd expect to see something like this in Chicago or New York.

New York for sure but, not Chicago. No hulking concrete mass for the parkade.

And KWT weighs in with her expected response:

Developer wants 80-storey tower to replace Stollerys

“What we want to do is make sure that we hear from the community and go through a proper planning process and the official statutory process. Anything short of that is not acceptable,” Wong-Tam said.

That's totally reasonable, and is worth repeating over and over again. The community/public should have their say.

As much as people here will look to shit on KWT as often as possible, she is doing exactly her job by ensuring that the proposal goes through the correct process, and reassuring the public of that.

I will now await all the people who are upset that she would do her job and weigh in. I mean, how DARE she do her job and ask that the developer stick to the legal process?!

Last edited:
I do think Hancock when looking at this tower but I see a cheaper, less daring version. A tapered design would have won me over. Perhaps dual spires added to the top could save it. Right now, it just looks a one dimensional box from the skyline view.

Real cool, love the gold colored exoskeleton. Sorta wish the shape was a bit more interesting moving near the top and the crown. A tapering of the inside building into a spire while the exoskeleton stayed the same would have been really cool. But overall I love the proposal hope it improves and doesn't get watered down. Though I am expecting other projects of this magnitude in toronto to be a bit more interesting.

Back