News   Mar 28, 2024
 42     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 151     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 242     0 

2015 Federal Election

Take it for what it's worth: I've heard that Jennifer Keesmaat has been approached by the Liberals to run in October.

I really wanted to vote for Trudeau/Liberals this time around, but I am very disappointed at their support for bull C-51. It's looking like it will be Green or NDP for me.

I live in Toronto Centre - the Liberals nominated a "star candidate" - Bill Morneau.

I've never heard of him, so I looked him up. He's a wealthy Bay Street pension fund manager, whose credentials include Chair of the C.D. Howe Institute (a right-wing think tank that's a favourite of the business-right wing of the Liberal Party, think Manley or Martin), who sat on the right charitable boards like St. Mike's Hospital.

Without the Rosedale part of the of the riding (now part of the new University-Rosedale electoral district), I'm not sure what makes him such a great fit for the east end Downtown Toronto riding. You'd think a social-left Liberal (like a Gerrard Kennedy) would be a better fit.

I'll probably vote NDP. Linda McQuaig is running again. (Freeland is running in U-R)

Last edited:
Perhaps she's the "prominent Torontonian" the Libs are saying they'll run in Davenport?

She lives up in Midtown. She'd be a better pick to take back Don Valley West or Eglinton-Lawrence (especially compared to Eve Adams). I really like Andrew Cash, I'd hate to see him lose, rather than a Conservative in a closer riding to her.

As do I. It doesn't matter who the candidate is. Liberals always win in TC.

The Liberals are definitely the favourites but McQuaig will give them a run for their money, especially considering that McQuaig's support in the last by-election was mostly in the polls that makeup the majority of the new Toronto-Centre boundaries. Morneau is an odd choice, as he was the former head of the right-leaning CD Howe Institute, in a east-downtown riding with some of the most glaring income divisions in the city. I anticipate "class warrior" McQuaig will use Morneau's Bay Street resume to her advantage, but she will have to overcome the huge Liberal TC machine that has kept the riding red for decades.

Oh my ....

Harper calls Muslim face-covering veil 'anti-women'

Well, this is going to be a very interesting election if Stephen Harper is going to run on a platform of racism.

It's very shocking to find out what a hateful vile racist Stephen Harper is! I can't fathom how he thinks this will help him gain support.
Being anti veil is not racist. What race are we picking on?

Being anti veil is not racist. What race are we picking on?
I suppose technically it's only extremely bigoted. Though it's playing into an anti-Middle East vibe.

Either way, it's hard to imagine anyone so utterly evil to support Stephen Harper's extreme bigotry! I mean, have you ever met a person in real life who could be so utterly evil to make such suggestions?

I'd have thought the recent Quebec election would have made it very clear that playing the bigot card doesn't increase your vote share.

I live in Toronto Centre - the Liberals nominated a "star candidate" - Bill Morneau.

I've never heard of him, so I looked him up. He's a wealthy Bay Street pension fund manager, whose credentials include Chair of the C.D. Howe Institute (a right-wing think tank that's a favourite of the business-right wing of the Liberal Party, think Manley or Martin), who sat on the right charitable boards like St. Mike's Hospital.

Without the Rosedale part of the of the riding (now part of the new University-Rosedale electoral district), I'm not sure what makes him such a great fit for the east end Downtown Toronto riding. You'd think a social-left Liberal (like a Gerrard Kennedy) would be a better fit.

I'll probably vote NDP. Linda McQuaig is running again. (Freeland is running in U-R)

Apparently Morneau was set to run in the much better fitting Don Valley West, but the former MP who wants to run there raised a fuss so they shifted him to TC. He's not a good fit for the riding and I hope Linda McQuaig can pull it off on better boundaries.

Back