News   May 10, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.8K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

You missed the point Chris.

You are suggested that we go out and find some sort of car style that would be capable of being used both within the tunnels and on the street. While that in and of itself is not insurmountable, the main sticking points is going to be how to deal with the different station configurations above and below ground. Reusing the existing infrastructure of the Sheppard subway would require a high-floor car. The surface stops are designed for a low-floor car. How do you reconcile the differences between the two different designs standards?

I'm not sure how I missed the point. You mentioned that we shouldn't get locked into dealing with a single vendor, and I pointed that what I am suggesting would not require us to be locked into a single vendor. Please elaborate on the point that I missed so we can work this out.

As for the high floor issue, I've already made a number of posts in this thread about how we deal with that, offering the Los Angeles Expo Line and other examples as models to follow.

And we could run buses instead of having built a subway. Does that mean that it would be an efficient use of resources? Of course not.

We know that building a subway under Sheppard wasn't the right choice. But it's what we've got, and in the absence of an easy, cost-effective manner of "fixing" it, we may as well keep working with it rather than against it. The planned connections at Don Mills Station were just a part of the plan to make it better.

You're right that running buses wouldn't make much sense! I'm glad you agree that these things should be analysed rather than simply choosing a solution (be it subway or low floor LRT) and building without consideration of alternatives.

As for "in the absence of an easy, cost-effective manner of "fixing" it", that is the whole point of my proposal! It's easy, cost effective, and "fixes" the transfer issue! We're not the first place to have had this issue, other people have already solved it for us! I'm excited, why aren't you? We found a potential low cost solution! How exciting!

(OK, I'm getting ahead of myself. This discussion is to figure out whether dual-mode LRT could be an affordable solution. Haven't heard a technical reason why not yet.)

You would be surprised. Just because it's never been mentioned publicly doesn't mean that they haven't had discussions and internal reports about it. A lot of stuff goes on behind the scenes that never makes the light of day.

I wouldn't be surprised that they briefly considered it, no. But I would be surprised if a proper analysis was done. But I admit I could have worded things a bit differently by instead saying "This is question that the TTC has never answered".

Last edited:
I see the exact opposite happening. Car-transit collisions, cars driving into the LRT tunnels, emergency vehciles blocking LRT lanes, pedestrians getting hit. A few of these happen and people will ask why these multi-billion dollar lines were not grade-separated. My guess is that after ECLRT opens, no other LRT will start construction for some time.

Well, all these are easy to solve. Ban cars. Or, at least, those driven by idiots who park during rush, take left turns with cellphones held to their ears and otherwise distract themselves while driving. We could, instead, assume people will get the point and put down their cellphone and look around and drive. All of your fears for non-grade-separation assume that we need to compensate for stupid drivers, rather than get rid of stupid drivers.

If Eglinton is overcrowded (as I suspect it might) then this just adds further incentive to build the DRL all the way up to Eglinton, no?

Eglinton will be running with 2 linked trainsets when opened. The system is designed to operate with 3 linked trainsets however (platform length)

So if its overcrowded they will *shock* order more trains and link 3 together.

I see the exact opposite happening. Car-transit collisions, cars driving into the LRT tunnels, emergency vehciles blocking LRT lanes, pedestrians getting hit. A few of these happen and people will ask why these multi-billion dollar lines were not grade-separated. My guess is that after ECLRT opens, no other LRT will start construction for some time.

How many times have cars driven along the st. clair ROW or into the tunnel at St. Clair West?

I used to take the 510 Spadina every day. The number of times I've had to deal with car collisions, cars driving into LRT lanes, emergency vehicles or pedistrians getting hit is exactly zero. In other words, not once was I delayed because of external factors.

It does happen, I've experienced the St Clair line shutting down for about 15 min due to collision between streetcar and car. However, it obviously doesn't happen most of the time.

Even if it does happen though, it won't affect the subway/underground 10km part of the Eglinton line, since trains can just operate on the underground section only, turning back at Laird.

So even if BurlOak's disaster scenario happens (which I think will be fairly rare), we still get a 10km underground transit line under Eglinton, twice as long as the Sheppard subway. Many users of Eglinton Crosstown will be using the underground part only.

And, to state the obvious, there are many incidents that also shut down large parts of the subway system which have happened in the last few weeks. So clearly being grade-separated doesn't mean it's immune to service disruptions. I've seen the subway get shut down because a dog ran onto the open tracks near Davisville, for example.

If you're fully in favour of grade-separation, why then are you so opposed to elevated transit?

I'm not sure how I missed the point. You mentioned that we shouldn't get locked into dealing with a single vendor, and I pointed that what I am suggesting would not require us to be locked into a single vendor. Please elaborate on the point that I missed so we can work this out.

The point was not the vendor, but the equipment itself. What you are suggesting is that we order a fleet of equipment that would not be compatible with the rest of the equipment that we already have on order.

As for the high floor issue, I've already made a number of posts in this thread about how we deal with that, offering the Los Angeles Expo Line and other examples as models to follow.

And has been brought up many, many times on this forum (in other threads) before, high-level boarding is a non-starter. The TTC is not interested in going down that road for a bunch of reasons, and frankly I think that they are right with that.

You're right that running buses wouldn't make much sense! I'm glad you agree that these things should be analysed rather than simply choosing a solution (be it subway or low floor LRT) and building without consideration of alternatives.

I've never disgreed with you in that sense. And furthermore....

As for "in the absence of an easy, cost-effective manner of "fixing" it", that is the whole point of my proposal! It's easy, cost effective, and "fixes" the transfer issue! We're not the first place to have had this issue, other people have already solved it for us! I'm excited, why aren't you? We found a potential low cost solution! How exciting!

(OK, I'm getting ahead of myself. This discussion is to figure out whether dual-mode LRT could be an affordable solution. Haven't heard a technical reason why not yet.)

But have you fully analyzed it? What are the cost implications of purchasing a separate set of equipment? Training? Maintenance, not just of the rolling stock, but of the different stop designs? Storage? How much of a problem is changing the EA? How do the land requirements change? How will this change the design for maintenance facilities?

I not going going to lie, I haven't costed it out to a decimal point. But on the surface, to me it doesn't pass the smell test - it looks like a solution begging for a problem, and is going to create more problems in the long run than its worth.

Do dual-power-source, high-floor LRVs exist? Probably. Are they are hard thing to make? Probably not. Could they be sourced from a variety of different manufacturers? More than likely. Does that mean that we should be buying them? I don't see a strong case for them here.

I wouldn't be surprised that they briefly considered it, no. But I would be surprised if a proper analysis was done. But I admit I could have worded things a bit differently by instead saying "This is question that the TTC has never answered".

Again, publicly, fine. But the planning department gets requests like that all the time, and they have to do all sorts of reports to answer these requests. Just because we're only bringing it up now doesn't mean that it hasn't been thought of before.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti is at it... again.

From the Toronto website, at this link:

City Council consideration on February 10, 2015

Request for Council to Revisit its position on Finch Avenue West Transit Plans and to Reconfirm Support for the Scarborough Subway - by Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti, seconded by Councillor Jim Karygiannis
* Notice of this Motion has been given.
* This Motion is subject to referral to the Executive Committee. A two-thirds vote is required to waive referral.
Recommendations
Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti, seconded by Councillor Jim Karygiannis, recommends that:

1. City Council revisit the debate regarding transit plans on Finch Avenue West in order to provide residents and businesses with a more valuable solution than Light Rapid Transit.

2. City Council reconfirm its decision to support building the Scarborough Subway on Sheppard Avenue.
Summary
Toronto is considered a World Class City and our current transit solutions do not fully reflect that status. In 2013, Council confirmed its support for the Scarborough Subway, thus proving there is a desire in this City for more subway lines. Finch Avenue West is an important corridor in Toronto's industrial pocket and the currently proposed LRT line for that corridor is not wanted by a majority of the residents and businesses in that area. This item is urgent as the debate on transit is ongoing amongst the residents of the City of Toronto and a resolution must be provided as soon as possible.

Let us put Giorgio Mammoliti's "motion" up on Mammolit's flag pole and see who salutes it. I'll just walk by.

1. City Council revisit the debate regarding transit plans on Finch Avenue West in order to provide residents and businesses with a more valuable solution than Light Rapid Transit.

Considering that Light Rapid Transit isn't a thing, I'm sure just about anything would be considered a more "valuable" solution.

City Council reconfirm its decision to support building the Scarborough Subway on Sheppard Avenue.

You can't reconfirm what wasn't confirmed in the first place. Idiots.

Last edited:

Let us put Giorgio Mammoliti's "motion" up on Mammolit's flag pole and see who salutes it. I'll just walk by.

Considering that Light Rapid Transit isn't a thing, I'm sure just about anything would be considered a more "valuable" solution.

You can't reconfirm what wasn't confirmed in the first place. Idiots.

And he we go! Ugh will either the LRT be built?

What's the chance that this stupid request will simply be ignored?

I wish people like him would stop whining and move on. It's been studied, restudied, debated, argued, discusses, voted on, re looked at, and redebated. This is a councilor who is asking to not invest into infrastructure in his area. this is everything that is wrong with Toronto.

City Council reconfirm its decision to support building the Scarborough Subway on Sheppard Avenue.

Note the use of the term "Scarborough Subway" and "reconfirm" while referring to a theoretical subway extension on Sheppard.

Either they don't realize that the "Scarborough Subway" that council supported was on McCowan Rd, not Sheppard, or this is some sort of Ford-esque way of trying to trick people. Asking to "reconfirm" something that was never confirmed in the first place, by using a term often used to refer to another subway line on a completely different route?

Or is there something that prevents these councillors from comprehending multiple & different transit projects and routes, and where they are? I guess to them, supporting a Danforth subway extension on McCowan means... supporting a subway on every street in the city? Bizarre.

It reminds me of when Ford repeatedly claimed that he was the reason Eglinton Crosstown had an underground section, something completely untrue. It's like capitalizing on people's confusion of the various transit projects/proposals or something.

Back