News   Mar 28, 2024
 588     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 364     0 

Really Well Built Condos

hawc

Member Bio
Reaction score
In so many of the threads I read about 'condos that went up too fast' or condos that were just 'slapped together'.

People are constantly bemoaning the quality of new construction in this city. CityPlace and Liberty Village are the usual scapegoats.

Okay, so question... what are examples of really well built condos in this city?

Old or new? Which specific condos would you say was built with care and attention to detail and built really well.

I'm not looking for developers, I'm looking for actual addresses.

Very curious. It's easy throw stones, but let's be constructive for a moment. Which condos would you say were well built in Toronto?

Harbour Square. Federal regulations for port-side construction in harbours of national importance required a blast-proof facade that could withstand artillery fire for 43 minutes.

^ That's interesting. How much bearing do you think that has on the overall quality & durability of non-structural elements of the building? It seems to me it might not, in itself, have much of an impact on overall quality when not under bombardment.

Joking aside, I would guess that masonry and precast buildings will hold up better than all-glass. I can't tell you for sure, but Harbour Square looks well built. Property values haven't fallen over the years, so it may be a quality building.

A well built condo in Toronto? Hmmm...

Stay away from the glass structures. Stick to the all brick 80s buildings.

Joking aside, I would guess that masonry and precast buildings will hold up better than all-glass. I can't tell you for sure, but Harbour Square looks well built. Property values haven't fallen over the years, so it may be a quality building.

That's too bad because from the standpoint of design and impact on its surroundings, Harbour Square is a pig. Actually that's kind of unfair to pigs.

Harbour Square. Federal regulations for port-side construction in harbours of national importance required a blast-proof facade that could withstand artillery fire for 43 minutes.

if there is one condo that I would like to be blown up, that's the Harbour Square condo. There is no residential building uglier than that.

if there is one condo that I would like to be blown up, that's the Harbour Square condo. There is no residential building uglier than that.

+1. It's too bad that it is coincidentally also one of the better built condos, so we may be stuck with it for a little while still.

Okay other than jokes about Harbour Square can we name any other actual condos?

There are many solely built condos in the city. One example is the Carrington tower at Yonge and Steeles. It's the tall 34 storey tower near Centerpoint mall. It was built in the 70/80s has low maintenance fees and is in great shape. In general brick buildings seem to do well. A good board that maintains the building is important.

I'm sure there are many other buildings that are in good shape. Many have higher maintenance fees but huge units.

Back