News   Apr 25, 2024
 183     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 343     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 541     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

It sounds like they got confused and are about to write a cheque not to @CycleToronto, but to @BikeTO (Herb). Well, he deserves it!

Either way, it's an exemplary response compared to other companies that either don't address the issue at all or say they'll have a word with the driver (and then nothing happens).

I like Cycle Toronto's solution far better than just painting bike lanes on Yonge (if it is actually feasible) since it avoids the hills at Hoggs Hollow. Going southbound on Yonge between York Mills and Yonge Blvd takes a ton of effort with that hill, and I often see people just walk their bikes on the sidewalk. Great workout though!

I'll imagine that the anti-bicycle councillors (maybe mayor, depending who wins) after the city election will demand an Environmental Assessment. That means it'll take 10+ years to study, plan, and design, before they can even start to construct it.

It's interesting how obsessed we are with environmental assessments, yet we pay zero attention to the health of our ravines.

So true. I've started biking to work on Fridays (Yonge/Bloor to North York Centre) since it only takes 5 minutes longer than the subway. The Yonge/401 interchange is fucking scary. I've done the trip a few times now and I'm not sure if I'll ever get used to it. I've biked through Bathurst/401 before and it's far less scary because there is only one on-ramp northbound and none southbound.

Are there actual pedestrian crossings at Yonge/401 and Bathurst/401? I haven't been up that way.

Are there actual pedestrian crossings at Yonge/401 and Bathurst/401? I haven't been up that way.
Yes, there are sidewalks, but you need to cross the onramps/offramps at grade. I refuse to cycle on the sidewalks because my average speed is 25km/h and that's way too fast to be going on the sidewalk (not to mention it's illegal).

Northbound, on the east side of Yonge there is a nice sidewalk if you know where to look - head east beside the on-ramp and keep your eyes open. Pedestrians who know will take the same route southbound. On the west side of Yonge, although there is space and a sidewalk that goes under the 401, there is a long gap in the sidewalk after it ends at a bus stop just south of the 401. I think they did it as a reminder that nobody cares about pedestrians in this city :). To say nothing of cyclists of course.

When I cross the 401 at Yonge, which I try to avoid, I take the sidewalk northbound (very slowly and yielding to pedestrians) because the hill is steep and I wouldn't go much faster anyway, the sidewalk is pretty decent, and there aren't a lot of pedestrians. Southbound, I go on the street because I can go very fast and there is no sidewalk.

Not to mention the earthquakes.

The Yonge-401 Bypass idea is an excellent one. It's got to be the biggest bang for the buck that cyclists from north of the 401 could get. I'm not sure if there would be local opposition to having bikes on Yonge Boulevard, but I wouldn't have any sympathy for any people who would to try to block it.

Cyclist Found Guilty for Riding in Street

From this link:

The Midwest, my home state included, is stereotyped as backwoods rednecks for a reason…this is one of them. A cyclist in Kentucky was found guilty, after being cited for a few traffic offenses a year ago. She was cited for riding in the middle of the lane instead of moving as far to the right of the lane as possible, which we all know invites cars to dangerously squeeze by us. It was even suggested she should have been riding in the shoulder that is riddled with pot holes, debris and RUMBLE STRIPS.

According to Kentucky state law, vehicles moving slowly have to stay as far to the right as possible on the highway. Prosecutor Eric Wright says the key word there is “highway.†That includes the shoulder – the reason Schill broke the law by riding in traffic on U.S. Route 27, he said.

“If the shoulder is usable, and it’s practicable for it to be used and it can be safely used, and you’re moving more slowly than other traffic on the highway at the time, you are to get as far to the right as practicable,†Wright said.

Technically, this means slower moving motor vehicles are also allowed to drive in the shoulder lane, no? Admittedly, I probably wouldn’t choose this route as part of my daily commute, but I don’t know what other options this cyclist has available. Regardless, the law is the law. She plans to appeal.

Except that this rider was arrested a couple days later when she tried to ride her bicycle on the highway. From link:

Jessamine County cyclist arrested

Just days after being convicted of careless driving, a central Kentucky bicyclist was arrested.

Cherokee Schill was arrested Tuesday and taken to the Jessamine County Jail. Schill tells WKYT she was on her way to school, riding in the right lane of U.S. 27, when she was arrested. Schill says she has video of what led up to her arrest. She plans to review it once she gets out of jail. She's charged with 2nd degree wanton endangerment.

"I feel like mostly I'm standing up for myself. If other cyclists want to support me, I really appreciate that," Schill says.

Schill has been riding her bike to work from Nicholasville to Lexington for the past year and a half. Police have cited her several times, saying her trip down U.S. 27 endangers her and other drivers. Last week, a judge found her guilty of those charges.

"Police received a call in regards to a cyclist on US 27 that was creating a dangerous situation," Officer Kevin Grimes said.

Officer Kevin Grimes with Nicholasville Police says Schill was arrested for Second Degree Wanton Endangerment, for riding in the center of the right lane.

The arresting officer says he saw several cars braking and changing lanes erratically to avoid hitting her.

"It could cause harm to others and she had knowledge of that, that's why the wanton endangerment charge came out," Officer Grimes said.

"I have posted videos on to YouTube in which it shows officers passing me in the same traffic conditions, nobody is pulling me over," Schill said.

Schill feels victimized, but maintains it's her right to use the road.

Despite a judge finding her guilty of careless driving, and prosecutors telling her to use the shoulder, she continues to stand up for herself.

"People need to understand that I'm riding to be safe," Schill said.

The cameras on Schill's bicycle captured the final moments of her ride on US 27 before she was arrested and booked. She was looking forward to reviewing the tape.

"I was just looking for any type of situation that would be considered dangerous. I didn't see any," Schill said. "That gap wasn't big enough for them to pass me legally, so they (drivers) are going to pass me illegally. "

Officer Kevin Grimes, with Nicholasville Police, says there's no excuse for the behavior of the drivers.

"It clearly was a dangerous situation for the motorists as well as the cyclists," Grimes said.

Schill asks drivers for their patience.

"You see me, start looking for that lane change. Start looking to change lanes and do so," Schill said.

Schill will be in court again in October to argue two traffic citations and her wanton endangerment charge.

[video=youtube_share;M3mq2Snc1CQ]http://youtu.be/M3mq2Snc1CQ[/video]

Cyclist Found Guilty for Riding in Street

From this link:

Except that this rider was arrested a couple days later when she tried to ride her bicycle on the highway. From link:

This is a major highway....think about biking in the middle of the right lane on Hwy 7 where the speed limit is 80 (and cars are going 100). And there is a small rumble strip (that will keep cars off the shoulder) and then a PAVED shoulder. Her bike is not a racing bike and should be designed for the random potholes that are there. (when I was a kid and rode on a highway in the country I stayed on the gravel shoulder for safety)

It doesn't matter what the law is....when someone is going 20 and another person is going 100 it endangers both parties. I agree that there should be places to bike (such as a path or a PAVED SHOULDER WITH A RUMBLE STRIP PROTECTION).

The law that she was found guilty of was to protect all motorists. If a tractor was doing the same the driver would be fined. If a car was going 20 they would be fined.

The quoted article just assumes they are rednecks and anti-bikes. Once going onto Google Streetview and seeing the quality of the shoulder I 100% agree with the pentalty.

This is a major highway....think about biking in the middle of the right lane on Hwy 7 where the speed limit is 80 (and cars are going 100). And there is a small rumble strip (that will keep cars off the shoulder) and then a PAVED shoulder. Her bike is not a racing bike and should be designed for the random potholes that are there. (when I was a kid and rode on a highway in the country I stayed on the gravel shoulder for safety)

It doesn't matter what the law is....when someone is going 20 and another person is going 100 it endangers both parties. I agree that there should be places to bike (such as a path or a PAVED SHOULDER WITH A RUMBLE STRIP PROTECTION).

The law that she was found guilty of was to protect all motorists. If a tractor was doing the same the driver would be fined. If a car was going 20 they would be fined.

The quoted article just assumes they are rednecks and anti-bikes. Once going onto Google Streetview and seeing the quality of the shoulder I 100% agree with the pentalty.
Bikes are supposed to be near the centre of the lane. About 3 feet from the white line is the general guideline ... and that is what it looks like in this photo. Cars need to change lanes to pass, so I can't imagine why this is an issue.

Decades ago, I used to commute to my minimum wage job down 4-lane provincial highway - that's about where I drove in the lane. I don't recall a car ever even honking at me (why would they, all they had to do is change lanes to pass). It would be far more dangerous to have been hugging the white line, as I'd think it would tempt cars to try and pass without changing lanes.

Aren't bicycles considered vehicles under the Highway Traffic Act? Therefore, they belong on the actual traffic lanes, unless there are signs that say otherwise. Have you seen how much litter, debris, potholes, erosion, or even disappearance there is on highway shoulders?

I understand that on principle she has every right to be there but the shoulder looks useable and in my position I wouldn't be riding where she was. It's obviously illegal to pass someone using the shoulder and being in the middle of the lane makes you more visible ... but she is expecting too much of North American drivers, unfortunately.

Google Maps suggests routes for cycling between Nicholasville and Lexington that appear to be less direct and yet are about the same distance ...

Back