Toronto Arch Lofts | ?m | 4s | WDG | CLA

vic

Member Bio
Reaction score
There's a public meeting next Thursday, April 28, 6:30PM regarding the church property at the corner of Wallace and Perth (Google map). There will be a development application submitted to convert the church into residential units, and build an additional structure on-site, with underground parking.

Meeting details are posted here:
http://www.junctiontriangle.ca/node/1092

14 December 2012: I shed a tear for this modest old school church--love these sort of buildings you find in small Ontario towns, many still in use. Probably will be gutted & destroyed :(

20121214140332.jpg

From the article:
mays-lofts0221re02.jpg

Windmill also hopes to win LEED points for adapting an old building to contemporary use, for being near public transit, and for limiting the volume of construction and demolition debris headed for landfills.

It sounds as if it will be a conversion and not a facadomy, but looking at the rendering it appears like new materials peaking out on the top left of the church. Could any one clarify?

Is there anything happening with this project? I was walking by it tonight and still seems no construction as of yet.

Is there anything happening with this project? I was walking by it tonight and still seems no construction as of yet.

Are you sure you walked by the correct site? Construction has been going for months...though very slowly (in my opinion). Construction has mostly been on the north side new building so far, with little action in the church itself it seems.

Perth-Wallace Church / Union Lofts by Vic Gedris, on Flickr

Hilarious....

Junction Triangle residents circulate petition over ‘Praise the Loft’ slogan
Former Methodist church being converted into residential lofts

Bloor West Villager
By Lisa Rainford
The developer of a Junction Triangle residential loft project has created some animosity among several of the neighbours for its choice of promotional material.

Windmill Development is in the midst of converting the interior of the former Perth Avenue Methodist Church at the corner of Perth and Wallace avenues into more than 40 modern lofts, now under construction, with occupancy scheduled for this summer. They’re called the Union Lofts.

It’s not so much the transformation of the former church that has local residents upset, but the developer’s slogan. It has prompted Daniel Masih, who lives just blocks from the one-time place of worship, to circulate a petition among his neighbours.

“It’s blasphemy to use (the phrase) ‘Praise the Loft,’†Masih told The Villager in an interview Thursday, Jan. 22. “It’s on their signage and in big letters in the middle of their website.â€

....complete article: http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...rculate-petition-over-praise-the-loft-slogan/

Daniel Masih needs to chill out and realize that his taking offense to a marketing slogan for a condo is not anyone else's problem.

Back