News   May 10, 2024
 416     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 475     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 796     0 

RBC Centre (LEED Gold, CadFair, 41s, KPF/B+H/&Co.) COMPLETE

francely57 (SSP) was travelling through Toronto from Montreal and took these pictures on a sojourn out of Union Station:

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

almost as tall as Simcoe Place!! :)

Too bad Simcoe Place was never built to its originally planned height.

I would have preferred the RBC tower here to be a taller version of the first Simcoe Place tower - that was the original plan. So far the exterior renders make this tower look like it will be one boring glass lump on the skyline. At least the first Simcoe Place tower has a unique silhouette and attractive proportions.

Too bad Simcoe Place was never built to its originally planned height.

Do you know what the original plan was?

I would have preferred the RBC tower here to be a taller version of the first Simcoe Place tower - that was the original plan. So far the exterior renders make this tower look like it will be one boring glass lump on the skyline. At least the first Simcoe Place tower has a unique silhouette and attractive proportions.

Due to the track record of the architects I have faith that the final product will look much better then the renderings and this project will turn out to be the most attractive of the three major office towers currently underway.

Sorry Mike in TO,

I don't recall all the details, but the tower was reduced in terms of the number of floors, and the podium also reduced in height. There were to be two towers, as well.

Does someone else have access to the earlier plans?

It would be interesting to compare plans - I'd love to see a rendering or any detailed plans if any forumers have them floating around somewhere out there.

Simcoe Street Dig-out

A little off-topic, but somewhat related, what's up with the Simcoe Street dig-out? Any update?

I miss my old 'hood!

Wait, wait! Look two pages back, I already predicted RBC would be the sleeper hit. If Caltrane wins, I get the credit.

(see p61)

Having now spent time looking at the sites for Telus, BA, and RBC, I think BA will be the most bland and basic of all three. The design of both Telus and RBC are very subtle but quite good. I think RBC has the potential to be a true sleeper hit while BA will be somewhat of a dud. Telus will wow, but will be quickly overwhelmed by its changing surroundings. We'll quickly wonder how we ever got on without it. You heard it here first (well, I'm sure some else has said it, but I'm going to take credit anyway).

Coltrane thinks BA is the best. Like you, I think BA is the blandest of the three and Telus and RBC will win out because of their detailing.

It would be interesting to compare plans - I'd love to see a rendering or any detailed plans if any forumers have them floating around somewhere out there.

Check out Mary Goddrham's A Building Goes Up. It's a compilation of her Globe and Mail columns about the construction of Simcoe Place. It has photos of the models and what not, and gives some detail of the original project, how it was scaled down, and then scaled down again.

Back