News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 328     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Having never been on one, I was responding to someone who described the big one as a seat for a person and the small one as a seat for a bag. The comment made me think that the big one was regular sized and small one was smaller than regular sized (given the lack of perspective I don't even feel dumb for thinking that)....so I thought if they had to squeeze in a small seat that perhaps they were not thinking "we'll give someone a comfortable place for their bag" rather "a spot for a parent and child".....clearly that was stupid thing to say ;)

No, no, no one was stupid. It was hard to tell how big the seats were from the angle of the first photo.

I have another question. Will the new cars still use a bell? Or will they have more of a horn? Has anyone heard them?

No, no, no one was stupid. It was hard to tell how big the seats were from the angle of the first photo.

I have another question. Will the new cars still use a bell? Or will they have more of a horn? Has anyone heard them?

Yes but instead of playing a bell sound it will play "subways subways subways!" from this audio:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10/08/rob-fords-subways-subways_n_4065408.html

Also the above seat was made personally as a gesture to Ford, causing him to react by vowing never to ride a streetcar in the future.

This is off topic but that link reminded me of something I always find strange....the way that the TTC describes its group passes....they are so firm on it that there must be a reason but I can't think of it.

up to 6...no more than 2 adults and no more than 4 children.......it seems to me there is only one way within that to make a group of 6! I, kinda, understand why they would not allow a group of 3 and 3 but what is the reason for, say, not allowing 1 adult and 5 youths/kids? Or, since the youth thing goes to 19 y/o, why not 6 of those?

Sorry to interrupt everyone's streetcar fantasies but it is a bit of a strange set of restrictions.

It's just bad wording on that page. The 1 adult with 5 youths/kids scenario is permitted. Refer to: http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Passes/Day_Pass/index.jsp

It will have the same sounding bell as the current streetcars, except that it will be played by speakers rather than mechanically.

https://soundcloud.com/torontostar/the-gong-on-the-ttcs-new

That is so interesting. It sounds more like chimes used at a meditation sitting, than a streetcar. Maybe it will be a zen experience to ride the new cars! :)

And sorry Nfitz, I must have missed the seat width discussion.

From today's Beach(es) Easter Parade. I still don't see how these long beasts will get around crowded corners like westbound at Gerrard and Parliament without jamming up the intersection. However, they are cool looking. Is there a shorter version for the low use Blue Line routes?

temporary_zps63447081.jpg

Surprised......surprised as 4403 or any new cars will not be showing up this month as stated by TTC a number of time and showing me how wrong I was stating they will not be here as plan.

4403 is supposed to be here May 2nd now and no word on the 3 per month as plan.

The 2 accessibility units for both current cars will be ship back to Thunder Bay to be modify. When they will be ship back TB in unknown, as TTC needs these cars to train all the drivers moving to the new car for start of service on Aug 31.

The big logo on the car in the photo above state Meet Your New Ride in Service stating Aug 31.

The ooooh!!! Aaaaaahh, look at that monster, Yea, hand clapping as well other positive comment on the new car were heard for the full length of the route.

No idea when I will have photos on line I shot of the fleet today, as they are in the batch of 1,700 I shot the last 2 day to the point I broke my single day record shooting by 300 on Sat.

I saw no issues in Europe for 35-59 meter cars turn, as note and see none here other than everyone going to have to make some adjustment for them, including the drivers.

You can get 20-25 meter cars, but defeat why we need longer cars. The shorter they are, more cars need to be on the line that will require more driver. Cost ratio recovery will fall even more than going to current fleet equipment replacement.

These cars do squeal going round curves, but not as bad as the current fleet.

All of the 8 videos I took are on line
[video=youtube_share;5YdVwq8aE0g]http://youtu.be/5YdVwq8aE0g[/video]

Last edited:
Directing this at nobody in particular:

I've seen so many photos of these things with busted-looking LED signs because the photographer picked too fast of a shutter speed. 1/100 of a second is the fastest you can shoot and have the sign look normal.

Disclaimer: I've messed this up too

Last edited:
Directing this at nobody in particular:

I've seen so many photos of these things with busted-looking LED signs because the photographer picked too fast of a shutter speed. 1/100 of a second is the fastest you can shoot and have the sign look normal.

Can't always change the speed on the fly when setup for moving item when you don't have the time to do so. I have a lot of broken LED signs photos since I am shooting the vehicles coming one after a another. I shooting the vehicle, not the LED.

People choice as what speed they are shooting at based on what been shot or what they plan to shot in the first place.

Surprised......surprised as 4403 or any new cars will not be showing up this month as stated by TTC a number of time and showing me how wrong I was stating they will not be here as plan.

4403 is supposed to be here May 2nd now and no word on the 3 per month as plan.

The 2 accessibility units for both current cars will be ship back to Thunder Bay to be modify. When they will be ship back TB in unknown, as TTC needs these cars to train all the drivers moving to the new car for start of service on Aug 31.

The big logo on the car in the photo above state Meet Your New Ride in Service stating Aug 31.

The ooooh!!! Aaaaaahh, look at that monster, Yea, hand clapping as well other positive comment on the new car were heard for the full length of the route.

No idea when I will have photos on line I shot of the fleet today, as they are in the batch of 1,700 I shot the last 2 day to the point I broke my single day record shooting by 300 on Sat.

I saw no issues in Europe for 35-59 meter cars turn, as note and see none here other than everyone going to have to make some adjustment for them, including the drivers.

You can get 20-25 meter cars, but defeat why we need longer cars. The shorter they are, more cars need to be on the line that will require more driver. Cost ratio recovery will fall even more than going to current fleet equipment replacement.

These cars do squeal going round curves, but not as bad as the current fleet.

All of the 8 videos I took are on line
[video=youtube_share;5YdVwq8aE0g]http://youtu.be/5YdVwq8aE0g[/video]

I can see a certain mayoralty candidate responding to the people photographing the new streetcar with: "Lots of people taking selfies of themselves."

The wide seat is much wider than a regular seat. think of it as a "plus size seat". Its not the regular seat, the skinnier one is the regular one.

I call it the fat seat, but really its the "more personal space seat".
didn't Howard Moscoe once ask TTC to put seats in for those with "large toches"?

TTC Flexity Outlook Streetcar - Wide and Narrow Seats by Vic Gedris, on Flickr

I call these the "Laurel & Hardy" seats.
I realize that the seat on the right is the normal size. I was in Tokyo last summer and one thing that stood out to me on their public transit was that the trains have dedicated family seats. They were indicated by a little sign behind the seats on the glass that showed something like a parent and a child with them. Other passengers respected those seats and did not sit in them. Obviously in a city as large as Tokyo there are a huge number of families and parents taking transit with their kids. I would love to see these two seats dedicated to a parent and a child (or children). Parents often have more stuff to carry with them, so the extra space would be useful to them and provide them with more space directly in front of them for things like strollers.

It'd be of no benefit to me (I don't have kids) but so often I see a parent struggling with taking the streetcars that I think something like this is the least the TTC can do (and we respect as other passengers). Especially with more and more young families living in the downtown area.

Back