Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

Good God the new ROM "100 years" logo is ghastly. I hope it's temporary. I wasn't a huge fan of the multi colour "Renaissance ROM" logo but its leaps and bounds better than the new version.

The exterior cladding is the least of that museum's concerns. The interior is where most of the problem lies.

Maybe, but can you imagine how beautiful this thing would look with glass like they used at Four Seasons or The Ritz?

It would transform into an absolutely stunning building. (from the intensely ugly building it is now)

As it stands i find the mix of material far more interesting than a glass crystal could be. While yes they should reduce some of he aluminum cladding the visual play of the black crystal and glass is great. Having just glass while nice I don't think would be nearly as interesting.or beautiful to look at.

That said, YIKES that ROM100 logo looks like something from grade school. ouch

As has been said many times before in this thread, museums and a lot of glass do not mix well. Unless everything on display inside is made of stone, the effects of light are to fade everything.

Why they have the fabrics/costume galleries up on the top floor of the crystal I will never know. That room has amazing windows, but they are now entirely blocked. It's completely idiotic. They need to find a new spot for that gallery, and then move something like mineralogy up there that won't be affected by light, and open up those windows.

Last edited:
As has been said many times before in this thread, museums and a lot of glass do not mix well. Unless everything on display inside is made of stone, the effects of light are to fade everything.

Why they have the fabrics/costume galleries up on the top floor of the crystal I will never know. That room has amazing windows, but they are now entirely blocked. It's completely idiotic. They need to find a new spot for that gallery, and then move something like mineralogy up there that won't be affected by light, and open up those windows.

I never said replace it all with windows - I suggested the aluminum be replaced with glass. As there are no wondows over most of the area, the amount of window space would not change but the cladding would ne glass instead of aluminum. Not all of Four Seasons is window but the exterior is all glass.

No different than glass in many office towers - some of it covers window, some of it covers mechanical sections between floors.

So spandrel then.

Doesn't have to be. If I remember correctly, the aluminum cladding is supported underneath through attachment points above the inner cladding. Presumably, you can use spider connectors for replacement glass cladding. Snow and ice control will be a major issue though.

AoD

Will the trees be as mature as the ones in the video? It won't be that bad if they do... only negative being that it may block the ROM itself from some views. If they plant them while they're still young and provide no cover, that'll be pretty stupid.

Walkthrough video for the new Bloor forecourt, including the canopy - got to say, it rubbed me the wrong way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3PxawhvKzY#t=46

AoD

Perhaps it's just the video, but it looks like a lot of clutter-for-clutter's-sake to me.

I'd rather see this space left as a blank slate, perhaps with curated busking and small-scale street performance. I remember from various Nuit (Nuits?) Blanches how packed the space can get when there's something to do there. I'd hate to see the space for that disappear.

Not relevant to what's being discussed currently, but I would love if the ROM could renovate and reopen the McLaughlin Planetarium. I love the Adler and Hayden ones, and Toronto deserves one beside our museum!

Back