News   Apr 24, 2024
 561     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 786     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 532     0 

Toronto Councillors and Mississauga Council want their cities removed from OMB

I don't see how being a minority government makes this more tenable. A request from city hall, does not equate knowledge of the OMB or an overwhelming desire to see it gone in the electorate.

I don't see how being a minority government makes this more tenable. A request from city hall, does not equate knowledge of the OMB or an overwhelming desire to see it gone in the electorate.
You are wrong. Most of the electorate does want it gone. They know whenever a large proposal (and of course its always a condo) is way out of scale for a neighbourhood, that developers will appeal to the OMB. The fact that Vaughan said this to a group in an earlier post bears this out. And The city of Toronto council or at least some councillors have said the city should be removed. Why is it that other provinces do not have the equivalent of the OMB? So why should Ontario?

You are wrong. Most of the electorate does want it gone.

Show me the data that says people know what the OMB is, and that they want it gone. Other than groups of NIMBY's who didn't get a ruling in their favour.

The fact that Vaughan said this to a group in an earlier post bears this out.

Vaughan is a career politician looking for votes, and is incredibly pro-nimby. Nothing he says bears anything out in reality.

Why is it that other provinces do not have the equivalent of the OMB? So why should Ontario?

Why does Ontario have an LCBO? Beer Stores? Different Minimum Wage?
Just because it's different doesn't make it automaticly bad.

I agree with Captain Picard. I'm sure the vast majority of people have no idea what the OMB is.

Palma- Why is it that do not have the eqivilent of the OMB? They do, at least most do...
Seeing I've never figured out how to link, I'll direct to a site and report covering "Overview of Municipal Mechanisms by Province" it was prepared for the Canadian Homebulders Association...it is kind of dated (2003)
www.cbha.ca/uploads/policy achive/2005/2003-10-20.pdf

Palma- Why is it that do not have the equivalent of the OMB? They do, at least most do...
Seeing I've never figured out how to link, I'll direct to a site and report covering "Overview of Municipal Mechanisms by Province" it was prepared for the Canadian Homebulders Association...it is kind of dated (2003)
www.cbha.ca/uploads/policy achive/2005/2003-10-20.pdf

Sorry, but I read no other province does. And if you explain to the people what the OMB is (you obviously think the majoroty of the people in this city must be really uneducated) you think they would approve of them? Really?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/strike-a-blow-for-democracy-scrap-the-omb/article621920/

Last edited:
Sorry, but I read no other province does. And if you explain to the people what the OMB is (you obviously think the majoroty of the people in this city must be really uneducated) you think they would approve of them? Really?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/strike-a-blow-for-democracy-scrap-the-omb/article621920/

Did you even bother trying to go to the site and report I suggested?
The OMB is there for overview....if cities had their planning bylaws up to date the OMB would be a rubber stamp...Take a look at Toronto's planning bylaw for instance it is a dog's breakfast, a moving target...When and if Toronto has a comprehensive bylaw in place then that is the time to start down the road of reduced OMB influence....And, yes, the OMB has a lot more power than just planning however that in fact gives the individual citizen a place of last resort to appeal decisions made by Municipalities witness the Toronto Taxpayer Coalition (M McGuire) and their appeal to reduce the number of Councillors ans increase Ward size (prehearing to take place April 23, 2014)

Did you even bother trying to go to the site and report I suggested?
The OMB is there for overview....if cities had their planning bylaws up to date the OMB would be a rubber stamp...Take a look at Toronto's planning bylaw for instance it is a dog's breakfast, a moving target...When and if Toronto has a comprehensive bylaw in place then that is the time to start down the road of reduced OMB influence....And, yes, the OMB has a lot more power than just planning however that in fact gives the individual citizen a place of last resort to appeal decisions made by Municipalities witness the Toronto Taxpayer Coalition (M McGuire) and their appeal to reduce the number of Councillors ans increase Ward size (prehearing to take place April 23, 2014)

You must be a developer. They and only a few others agree with your assessment - the others being lawyers who benefit because developers need to hire them, lobbyist, etc

A "career politician" would indicate he's never done anything else, which is factually wrong as he had a long-standing career as a journalist for both CBC Toronto and CityTV (Toronto) before jumping-into politics ~2006.

A "career politician" would indicate he's never done anything else, which is factually wrong as he had a long-standing career as a journalist for both CBC Toronto and CityTV (Toronto) before jumping-into politics ~2006.

"Career politician" would better describe Tim Hudak, who has been an MPP since 1995, first elected at the age of 27.

You must be a developer. They and only a few others agree with your assessment - the others being lawyers who benefit because developers need to hire them, lobbyist, etc

I am neither a developer nor a lawyer and I believe that eliminating a body like the OMB would be a planning disaster.

Wha???

You can't see the fact that Toronto cannot meet it's own planning agenda as it is?

Even if the OMB wasn't doing the city's job half the time, why would anybody want to eliminate it? It's like saying you'd want to get rid of the Supreme Court. And whether we have an OMB or not is certainly not a matter to be determined by referendum....it's simply a basic safety net that should be locked in.

Back