Toronto 305-319 King West | 156.96m | 50s | Claireville Holdings Ltd | Scott Shields

Before TIFF light box, the height limit was 30 meters. When the light box came along the city allowed the rules to slack a little to allow it to be built, but that has in turn created a flood of new towers up until the height of the light box, which Is 157m.

http://scottarch.ca/portfolio/king-street-2/

6iHGzku.jpg

aZJGGpS.jpg

(Directed to M/G)

See, is that so hard?

In all seriousness, it'll be in the materials with this one. The open spaces through the window wall kind of remind me Koohaas's French National Library design, albeit more simplistic.

Two renders today from Scott Morris Architects (this and 24 Mercer), who from its website never appears to have designed a tall building?

(Directed to M/G)

See, is that so hard?

There is a difference between realizing an architectural vision (a la Gehry) and just sticking a 42 storey glass box on top of existing buildings.

Is this intended to be a real proposal? No balconies? That in itself would be refreshing.

Looks like an office building from the 70s landed on top restaurant row.

I like the idea of the sky lobbies, but I kind of wished they reflected those breaks on the exterior of the building. As of now, I predict the glass will likely be more reflective than in the renderings, so people likely won't really get a sense of those interior spaces.

We're basically getting another Bay Adelaide Tower in the Entertainment District.

There sure is going to be an awful lot of hotels in this area! Germain, Soho, Hyatt, Hilton Garden, Residence Inn, Bisha, Ritz, Intercontinental on Front and possibly a hotel at King Blue.

I like what they're going for with the integration, even if they are just slapping a building on top. But I think the tower can use a bit more work. Also, not a fan of how much space it appears to take up along King St.

I think it's the property owner requesting the rezoning. Sometimes in cases like this the purpose of the change is to increase the value of the property for eventual sale. If this is so, we probably won't be seeing anything like this. Besides, I think the present proposal is situated too close to a neighbouring development that's in the pipeline.

Back