News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 570     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 874     0 

TTC CLRV Streetcars: Where will they go once they are retired?

Long Island Mike

Member Bio
Reaction score
Everyone: With the TTC in the process of getting new LRVs what are their plans to do with the CLRV fleet as it is retired?

Have any other cities or systems shown interest in the TTC CLRV fleet?

I have always found it interesting that no other North American city went with the CLRV type and that other cities such
as Philadelphia - which went with Kawasaki LRVs in 1981 for their Subway/Surface routes (#10,11,13,34,36) they ended
up with a good car type which is still going strong today but are now aging somewhat...They have always been well maintained...

If there has been any other topics concerning this direct me - and I look forward to see where the CLRV cars may go upon their
retirement from the TTC...

LI MIKE

I see them scrapping most of them and keeping a couple like they did with the PCCs. Not official though, I'd love to see what is actually going to happen to them. could someone send a tweet to Brad Ross? he will typically answer that kind of question. i'm not on twitter, a bit out of the times haha.

With a number of smaller cities looking to revive their streetcar systems, I wouldn't be surprised if the TTC gets a few offers for some of them. These cities are looking to build a line or two with only modest investment, so cars on the cheap could be something they're looking for to keep costs down.

With a number of smaller cities looking to revive their streetcar systems, I wouldn't be surprised if the TTC gets a few offers for some of them. These cities are looking to build a line or two with only modest investment, so cars on the cheap could be something they're looking for to keep costs down.
Acessibility? Most places have those AODA like rules now.

Personally I'd hope we'd keep a small but significant fleet of cars. I think the scrapping of all but two of the PCCs was extremely shortsighted on the part of the TTC and province (if I remember right, there were 15-20 being refurbished in the 90s but budget cuts led to the TTC scrapping the majority). God knows it feels like Toronto is afraid of the past and is always looking to completely eradicate any proof that there was something here before whatever our current infatuation is.

The Halton County Museum will most likely get 2 or 3, of which only one may ever operate - apparently the electronics are worn out; it's much simpler to maintain PCC cars and older vehicles. The HCRY has an operating Peter Witt and 1920s-era interurban cars and one of those PCCs refurbished by the TTC in the 1980s with the faux wood interior to make it look like a CLRV.

Boston and Philadelphia installed wheelchair lifts in their regular service PCCs - that's how one gets around accessibility issues.

(if I remember right, there were 15-20 being refurbished in the 90s but budget cuts led to the TTC scrapping the majority).

When the Harbourfront line opened they ran PCC cars on it for a while. I can't remember why they were eventually dropped. I imagine other cities would be wary about accepting CLRVs because of their weight.

I think TTC needs to keep 4000 & 4004 first & last make off shore as well 4010 & 4199 being the first and last ones made in Ontario. They need to keep a sock pile of spare parts to keep these units in operation order. ALRV 4200 & 4252 should be keep also.

The question is where is TTC going to store these cars once the yards are max out with the new fleet?

Like to see a few more of both types as well. They can be brought out like the PCC's for summer runs, charter Runs or what every.

A few may end up in a few Museum, but sadly the rest will face the scrap yard. They maybe a few system world wide that may take some, but most systems are moving to new models and makes it a slim hope of getting more life.

One or 2 may make to Wychwood Carhouse to be put on display there along with one of the PCC when it finally retire.

The CLRV's are maintenance nightmares. Idon't think there'll be many offers from cities for them. I can see the TTC keeping some of the cars for parts, and railway museums buying the rest.

What if they became cafes or small food vendors like the one at the Halton Streetcar Museum? It'd fit right in at Kensington Market :)

Back