Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

I think it's excellent that Miss is finally getting rapid transit. The problem is that once they get to the Toronto boundary they have to pay another fare and get on a slow and painful bus ride down Eglinton and god help them if they are going anywhere else.

Toronto should take advantage of it's own ROW along it's freeways, rail lines, and hydro corridors to extend the Transitway to at least the Spadina ext and create a real fast and reliable across town route.

^ very, very few people are going to transfer to the Eglinton bus. most will continue to take miway down the 427 to Kipling.

I think it's excellent that Miss is finally getting rapid transit. The problem is that once they get to the Toronto boundary they have to pay another fare and get on a slow and painful bus ride down Eglinton and god help them if they are going anywhere else.

Toronto should take advantage of it's own ROW along it's freeways, rail lines, and hydro corridors to extend the Transitway to at least the Spadina ext and create a real fast and reliable across town route.

My recommendation for the Mississauga Transitway EA in 2004 was to take the transitway to the Etobicoke Hydro corridor and south to Kipling station. Flyover would be require for major cross road with station at most of them. The corridor be built to support a joint BRT & LRT routes. TTC would also have access to the Kipling corridor to provide fast service to the north of it.

The Kipling corridor would run up to Steeles. It move mean moving a few business and other things out of the corridor.

With the Eglinton LRT going to Renforth and then to the airport, it will allow a transfer and new fare to get from the west to the east a lot faster than it is today. It would mean you would not have to go to Kipling to get the BD to take you to (say) STC with your travel time being a lot faster even if you have to transfer 2th.

Mississauga Transitway could be upgraded to both BRT and LRT and doing an interline at Renforth to remove a transfer.

Fare integration is long over due and would help to provide more ridership for both systems.

GO plans on having a corridor from Renforth to the 407 corridor as well in that corridor and move off hwy 407. As to went is an unknown issue.

Hydro One has final say if the Hydro will be allow to be used for transit. At this point it is no.

While it's true that many will continue south to Kipling, it would also be true that even more would use the Miss Transitway if there was a connection to get across to Eglinton or north along the 427 to serve the Humber areas and continue to the Spadina ext.
A fast route from the Transitway along Eglinton will be even more imperative when the Eglinton LRT opens to Black Creek.

This only makes sense but no doubt the TTC and Metrolinx will need to call a Royal Commission to study the proposal.

While it's true that many will continue south to Kipling, it would also be true that even more would use the Miss Transitway if there was a connection to get across to Eglinton or north along the 427 to serve the Humber areas and continue to the Spadina ext.
A fast route from the Transitway along Eglinton will be even more imperative when the Eglinton LRT opens to Black Creek.

This only makes sense but no doubt the TTC and Metrolinx will need to call a Royal Commission to study the proposal.

The original EA that was approved before 2010 cuts saw the Eglinton Line going from Kennedy to the Airport by Renforth. With the 2010 cuts, the Eglinton was cut and became 2 phases. Phase 1 was Kennedy to Black Creek. Phase 2 was to the airport when more funding was in place.

Since there is talk that new money can be found to do Phase 2, the expansion could be in place when Phase 1 is ready to open. Phase 2 could open in stages if it ends up after the opening of Phase 1.

I hope they reopen the phase 2 EA as it will give a chance to move the ROW to the north side of the corridor as well having grade separation at cross road.

The original EA that was approved before 2010 cuts saw the Eglinton Line going from Kennedy to the Airport by Renforth. With the 2010 cuts, the Eglinton was cut and became 2 phases. Phase 1 was Kennedy to Black Creek. Phase 2 was to the airport when more funding was in place.

Since there is talk that new money can be found to do Phase 2, the expansion could be in place when Phase 1 is ready to open. Phase 2 could open in stages if it ends up after the opening of Phase 1.

I hope they reopen the phase 2 EA as it will give a chance to move the ROW to the north side of the corridor as well having grade separation at cross road.

Why would they do that. If you look at the East end, they are doing everything possible to avoid having grade separation - even at Leslie. No matter how many kicks they have at the EA can, they seem intent on NOT making this a rapid transit line.

service to Kipling?

I've seen it mentioned a few times, the link between the Transitway and Kipling subway. Can anyone explain the logic of this route? I travel to my parents' place near Square One, and have always been confounded by the crappy service between MCC and the subway. I figure it's meant to split the ridership between the various routes (Bloor, Rathburn, Burnhamthorpe) to make them all viable, as opposed to prioritizing express service of some sort to the subway.

The Transitway route on a map looks like a very roundabout way to get to Kipling. Can anyone explain?

Thanks!

The trip between MCC and Kipling is 13km along Dundas in mixed traffic, or 19km along the Transitway and the 427. With the bus-only lanes on the 427, and no traffic on the Transitway, they should be able to have shorter trip times along this route, while also having the benefit of connecting to the Eglinton busses and pass close to the airport.

Why would they do that. If you look at the East end, they are doing everything possible to avoid having grade separation - even at Leslie. No matter how many kicks they have at the EA can, they seem intent on NOT making this a rapid transit line.

Yeah, Eglinton Crosstown could have easily been built as a true rapid transit line, grade-separated to match the Mississauga Transitway. It's too bad the fanatical streetcar fetishism of the downtown dwellers ruined it.

They should have just built it from Renforth to Yonge using the Richview corridor and underground (which is a necessity anyways). Eglinton West is busier than Eglinton East too. Eglinton goes through inner city Toronto, it's not even a suburban corridor, LRT should never have considered in the first place.

But Mississauga's making the same mistake too though with City Centre section of the transitway. The busiest section and it will be on-street? Did they learn nothing from Ottawa's troubles?

I suggest not using "fanatical fetishism" when describing professionals.

and as always, ridership numbers are far below that of a subway, so a subway is unneeded. barely better than sheppard subway numbers. the LRT provides the same quality service (west of Laird) and saves $2 billion on the east.

Eglinton will be very successful, just watch.

The transitway only uses the street to get to the square one bus terminal I thought? it then hops back on the 403 where there will be bus only lanes..

Last edited:
But Mississauga's making the same mistake too though with City Centre section of the transitway. The busiest section and it will be on-street? Did they learn nothing from Ottawa's troubles?

Lesson #1 from Ottawa: Don't have the busiest section of your line also be the one with the lowest theoretical capacity.

Had a look at the transitway Thursday and its months from completion for Phase 1. Right on schedule as I said it would be, regardless what the city have plan for an Oct opening.

The city has gone after the contractor performance bond since they fail to complete the work on schedule as well quality.

The only thing the contractor has going for them is the overpass bridge on Eastgate that will be ready come Dec as plan and all the road is in place other than top coat. The only station that is completed or should be based on what I saw in May is Central Parkway and never had a look at it today.

Dixie Rd is still on detour considering the bridge was completed months ago. They pour concrete on both side of the bridge for the northbound lanes and only need the those lane asphalted to move the northbound lanes on detour back there. Once they do that, then the southbound section can be finish off.

They are finally building the retaining wall at Rathburn with Hurontario sidewalk and curb lane being open by Dec, 6 months late.

They are building new heated Shelter on Rathburn at Sq One Terminal area. This will be the bottle neck area, but since ridership will be low for MT going west, impact on service will be low. As for GO, it will be higher with some impact on service. Will not be close to Ottawa mess.

Phase 2 is moving a lot faster than Phase 1. Phase 3 was to be awarded by now, don't know who the contractors is.

As for Kipling 2017 opening not looking good at this time and would be far better to move it to Cloverdale as well having the subway extended there. A new GO station can be built there that will meet ODA standards easier than Kipling as well providing more room for TTC and room for expansion down the road for everyone. Starting next year, Islington terminal being torn down to deal with the deck issue there and MT lease is up in 2016. The new temporarily terminal will be built alone the line of Victoria Park terminal where the legion was.

Last edited:
How much would a subway extension to Cloverdale/Honeydale cost anyway? If we're going to expand the BD line by one stop, why not extend it to Sherway or Dixie?

How much would a subway extension to Cloverdale/Honeydale cost anyway? If we're going to expand the BD line by one stop, why not extend it to Sherway or Dixie?

About $650m. I know there is support on the commission to do this.

Taking it to Sherway doesn't justify it as the ridership is not there nor will be.

Unless you take the line along Dundas, you are forcing riders to walk 5-10 minutes to get to/from Dundas to catch a bus as plan. If you terminate the Dundas route at the station, you are forcing riders to spend more time and transferring going east on Dundas like today as well not helping to redevelop the area.

Going to Cloverdale would kick start the redevelopment plans for that area that are on the books at this time. It would remove a lot of traffic off Dundas east of it.

Nov 14
About 100 photos are now on line
10877514933_823bb9e7e7_b.jpg

10877378304_94cc034047_b.jpg

10877241696_8550abf61a_b.jpg

10877585733_162244b1a0_b.jpg

10877364404_edb19bafb2_b.jpg

10877160474_eb1e0f995b_b.jpg

10876861525_d573c7e6ed_b.jpg

10877187293_e24e393431_b.jpg

10876904685_08ff97557e_b.jpg

10877052464_83ff19636d_b.jpg