Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

Extreme natural phenomena would also be an explanation, but I haven't heard of any recent typhoons or major earthquakes in Toronto.

I had glass table that exploded without any interference, I was away 20 feet. After asking people that work with glass, I found out that if the process of tempering is not done properly - if heated glass is not cooled down slowly, then the glass molecules are under extreme pressure, and rapid change of air pressure can cause it to explode. And the glass was made in China, despite the claim that the table was Italian.

I had glass table that exploded without any interference, I was away 20 feet. After asking people that work with glass, I found out that if the process of tempering is not done properly - if heated glass is not cooled down slowly, then the glass molecules are under extreme pressure, and rapid change of air pressure can cause it to explode. And the glass was made in China, despite the claim that the table was Italian.

With a handle like "Zeiss" you ought to know something about glass! The line about typhoons and earthquake line was a throwaway addition aiming at a little humour. In the main part of my post I identified poor materials, which would resulty from faulty manufacturing, such as you identify, as one of the three most probable causes of the problem. I don't think we are actually disagreeing.

I did not disagree with you, I just provided example with faulty glass. Window or table, it was same tempered 3/4 inch thick glass.
Btw, the handle Zeiss comes from my nickname given to me from the other children, /50 years ago/ as I was the only one wearing eyeglasses.

In the Four Seasons versus Shangri-La comparison, I prefer the architecture of the 4S tower which narrows at 3 points for a bold and confident look. Shangri-La's podium, however, is much better.

Lunch at the rooftop patio of the Bishop's Block.

shangdinner.jpg

I still wish they had added 2 large trees on the roof like the render showed. The "living" shangri la label would have fit a lot better. I guess that would be unsafe though, with the possibility of limbs falling off the building.

If the renders don't match the final result the developer should be charged for misleading the public and even fraud. I know that there are many reasons for the changes they make, but whatever the reasons are we feel cheated.

I'd love to see someone calculate an amount in damages for the supposed "fraud" perpetrated by not having trees on the roof as per a rendering. Anyway, there are trees up there. You can see them from the street. They're just not very big right now.

I am just kidding, this statement is very extreme. But you know how we get all exited when some nice rendering is presented and then they start changing it.

More glass has fallen this morning. Looks like it's the glass from the balcony again.

Back