Toronto Fly Condos | ?m | 24s | Empire | Graziani + Corazza

Today:

Y2njcP9.jpg

So much wonderful architecture in one photo! Kinda Pyongyangish without all the annoying red banners. Not to mention the top-notch street level. Real neighbourhood-y.

That reminds me, I should drop off some dry cleaning and maybe get my nails done..

Wow. Is that ever ugly! I really don't understand the placement of this building. For example, instead of boxing in all the units in the neighbouring building (and the East facing units of Fly) which will never see the light of day, why not just move that wing of building to the west side of the site or to the middle? That would have opened things up a bit more.
It's like architects just look at the plot they're developing and nothing else.

Wow. Is that ever ugly! I really don't understand the placement of this building. For example, instead of boxing in all the units in the neighbouring building (and the East facing units of Fly) which will never see the light of day, why not just move that wing of building to the west side of the site or to the middle? That would have opened things up a bit more.
It's like architects just look at the plot they're developing and nothing else.

There is a park - Clarence Square - to the north and west of Fly. The profile of the building was designed to minimize shadowing on the park, as required by the city - not due to the presumed whim of the architects......

There is a park - Clarence Square - to the north and west of Fly. The profile of the building was designed to minimize shadowing on the park, as required by the city - not due to the presumed whim of the architects......

Ah, our wise city hall helps save the day yet again :)

27 April 2013: As a 50% American I kinda wish the Yanks had stayed at Fort York another 200 years. Why? Because I have a hunch Front Street might be lined with attractive 200 year old colonial architecture.

Recall the original Fly proposal with the cheesy angled facade? It might have looked slightly better, but if you look carefully at the lower balconies here, they've done a great job ensuring they're bent already.
rps20130428104731.jpg

Isn't the balcony damaged on the right?
rps20130428104823230.jpg

rps20130428104913.jpg

Lighting (a 'Light Feature'?) of Fly's mechanical penthouse is just awful - the entire mechanical penthouse is a bright glow of naked white florescent light tubes. What on earth were they thinking.....

Lighting (a 'Light Feature'?) of Fly's mechanical penthouse is just awful - the entire mechanical penthouse is a bright glow of naked white florescent light tubes. What on earth were they thinking.....

They were thinking: 'Fire Fly'......

Sorry - that was stupid - but, it was the first thing that came to mind;)

Back