Toronto Aqualina at Bayside | 47.85m | 13s | Tridel | Arquitectonica

Well, it'll be nice to possibly be proved wrong in this case, once the thing is up. But compared to what could be, and compared to what we're being shown, I won't be holding my breath.

That's the most disappointing aspect. There's a blank canvas to work with and all they can come up with is a predictable, average at best building that could be almost anywhere.

The general plans for these areas may be good, but the architecture so far has been a huge letdown.

taal:

That's what I thought at first, but I think it is still there upon a closer look at the scale model - there is a not so visible canopy further up along the building, just by the skating pavilion at Sherbourne Commons.

AoD

There will be no objection from the city against this cheap crap while the city will fight nail and tooth against the Gehry, Oxford, and 1 Yonge proposals.

Adjei:

It might not be my own cup of tea, but the "cheap" part isn't justified at this point. I think you need to separate the architectural design of the building from the planning aspects of the site itself, per what's been said about the Gehry towers and the role of planners.

AoD

The winter garden may still be there

image from Tridel facebook page

A cool pool

image from Tridel facebook page

At least having this go to sales will likely spur sales in Monde across the street as well. That's something.

It really does look like the wintergarden has been completely erased in favour of a practically undetectable walkway through the building - without even the benefits of a mall's high ceilings. Looking at the model, I can't even see it. I think it must be down to a few potted plants aside a waiting bench at this point.

Oh Well.

bayside_zps5b053503.jpg

Last edited:
It is still double levelled, probably around 10 meter ceilings. Nothing compared to that initial render with a 30ish meter winter garden, but it does still exist in some significant form.

Well at least the future phases look more promising. I do like the plans for Aitken Place Park though and how it blends well with the promenade and other public space.

Back