Toronto Stanley Condominiums | 138.37m | 41s | Tribute | Core Architects

There appears to be a new design idea that is becoming more and more common. The wavy balcony look to remind us of the water I guess. It's ok, but I hope there isn't a trend where we'll all be tired of looking at them. It can be overdone quickly.

Yeah - I see there is a proposal for a 35 storey in Ottawa that looks similar to this

8267380.jpg

There appears to be a new design idea that is becoming more and more common. The wavy balcony look to remind us of the water I guess. It's ok, but I hope there isn't a trend where we'll all be tired of looking at them. It can be overdone quickly.

I will rather accept overdone wavy balconey to the overdone slabs we are currently getting any day...... If AURA was designed like this in that height, we would probably be comparing ourselves to Chicago in terms of modern architecture here on the forum....

I will rather accept overdone wavy balconey to the overdone slabs we are currently getting any day...... If AURA was designed like this in that height, we would probably be comparing ourselves to Chicago in terms of modern architecture here on the forum....

Chicago's modern architecture is crap, even compared to Toronto. Just take a look at their new Ritz Carlton, Trump, all the crap going up in South Loop, etc. I'd take our Trump, our Ritz, and everything going up in Cityplace over that junk any day.

Chicago's modern architecture is crap, even compared to Toronto. Just take a look at their new Ritz Carlton, Trump, all the crap going up in South Loop, etc. I'd take our Trump, our Ritz, and everything going up in Cityplace over that junk any day.

Trump Chicago is crap? Chicago has the best looking Trump building in the world! Trump Toronto is just an embarrassment to this city.

Oxford Place and the Mirvish+Gehry proposals are better than any modern building Chicago currently has or proposed.

DtTO:

You meant contemporary perhaps. The inventory of Modern architecture (esp. in the tower form) is second to none.

re: Ottawa proposal

It look overcooked - if Aqua in Chicago is disquieting, this one looked like a tumour gone mets.

AoD

Trump Chicago is crap? Chicago has the best looking Trump building in the world! Trump Toronto is just an embarrassment to this city.

Oxford Place and the Mirvish+Gehry proposals are better than any modern building Chicago currently has or proposed.

I'm not moved by either Ritz but Trump Chicago is light years better than Trump Toronto in every way (not talking interiors here), IMO. I like that Ottawa proposal too. I'd like to see a couple of these in Toronto, one that 70/72 Carlton could aspire to.

I'm surprised it's taken so long for this corner to get developed. I think it will sell very quickly, great location. I like the rendering. Next steps, develop the parking lot to the north and the southeast corner across the street.

I personally find our Trump to be much more attractive than the one in Chicago, though not as impressive. Both are probably the best looking Trump towers in the world though, which isn't saying much when you look at the crap they put up in Vegas and NYC.

DtTO:

You meant contemporary perhaps. The inventory of Modern architecture (esp. in the tower form) is second to none.

Yeah, I just reread my comment and realized that. I was using the word "modern" at face value, not as a reference to modernism. Contemporary is a better word.

I like it overall. I wish the podium was brick to complement the NW and SW corners. Would like to see a north-facing render, too.

I definitely agree. Trump Chicago is a near perfect building imo. One of the better supertalls built in the decade. There's nothing like it in Toronto, and there likely never will be. As for Trump Toronto, I'd hardly call it an embarrassment to the city

really excited about this development. I've always found the stretch of College/Carlton from Bay to Yonge has a mini-Manhattan feel to it, aside from the fact that the canyon is so short lived. This tower will have a great impact when viewed on the south side of carlton from yonge with MLG in the foreground.
As per the design, it's fairly attractive what they did with the wrap around balconies rather than a straight box.
Hopefully the south/east corner of Church/Carlton gets developed too. I want to see the carlton canyon extended!

Last edited:
The rednering does fit well into the streetscape when looking at it from the eastern side. It is nice that the podium isn't too high but I do wonder if it would have made more sense to include some brickwork in it given all the other buildings within its proximity have some brick or stonework involved.

Back