Mississauga Square One Expansions and Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

They would love to do more at Square One but with a legal battle they are embroiled in at the site with Hazel and her son OMERS pension hasn’t been too keen to rock the boat at the site by going to council and trying to wring out more concessions. That and they only have so much money, time and manpower. They have done one major redevelopment every few years on the retail side, 1st Scarborough Town Centre, then Yorkdale and now some time and money towards Square One.

Square One has the most remaining upside of those three but don’t expect much more than lipstick until the legal battles of Hazel and her son are over. Then you will probably see a few hundred million put into the greater Square One site.

Oxford and their partner AIMco will probably never completely sell out of the site. Their super regional mall portfolio is a cash cow.

Did you not read the article at all? They clearly have plans over the next decade to improve it.

Yes I read it but frankly, talk is cheap. If you read my Facebook page you'll see a note that I intend to add a deck to my backyard. I don't know when, perhaps this decade - so don't run out buying wine coolers just yet.

Yes I read it but frankly, talk is cheap. If you read my Facebook page you'll see a note that I intend to add a deck to my backyard. I don't know when, perhaps this decade - so don't run out buying wine coolers just yet.

I started the foundation for my deck in 2010. Estimated completion time : summer 2013.

I know that feels.

Ridiculous. Talk? Have you been to Square One? The renovation IS happening. They got approval to expand between Target and Sears. Many of the retailers in that section are moving or moving out.

Granted it's not a glamorous addition, and should have been done a long time ago, but it's real. And it's happening.

Further, the whole Main Street district that the City wants to build will have an effect on Square One as well. What effect exactly we don't know yet. But I think that's where we'll see some major expansion/changes to the mall.

Interesting facts:
- When Square One opened it was the third largest mall in the world,
- It was built in the middle of a hay field,
- Mississauga did not exist yet,
- It cost 44 million to build - half the cost of the latest minor addition.

I don't think the $80 million is for the addition, just the renovation. They haven't released any sketches or info about the addition between Target and Sears. That info was only in the City Council documents.

The musical chair for stores being relocated or leaving the mall is continuing. With Town & Country Shoes being relocating, along with Melanie Lyne, La Vie En Rose and the closing of the Brogue store, as well the ceiling of the walkway, I get the impression that the current walkway may be move to the east to line up with the north entrance.

The stair from the food court to the Open Kitchen is gone and expect to see part that area fill in with a new floor so Open Kitchen can have more floor space.

Escalators by Target now in operation and a new set just place over by the Bay. Don't expect to see the Bay escalators in operation until end of April. The Walmart escalators work that was started before the Bay ones is still waiting for the pit walls to be pour. Expect to see the escalators show up in late April.

The hording in up for the new elevator next to Coach and it will require 1/2 or all of Aldo Accessories Store to be use for the new elevator.

The west end skylight area is nearing completion to the point that they adding the slats along the side of it now.

Parts of the food court have the new higher ceiling in place now, but missing lighting at this time. The centre stair in the food court have been remove and expect to see a ramp in this area.

They are retitling the west corridor with a single colour floor tile over the 2 tone ones that were added just over 5 years ago. The north centre corridor has the new tile in place of the carpet as well the east one. I expect the west corridor will be done also in the coming months.
8599948390_de13e2e997_b.jpg

8598846317_741d7f0f1c_b.jpg

8599947876_e6a2777494_b.jpg

8598845857_1798f1b0d2_b.jpg

8598845407_4ab1c7ecb5_b.jpg

8599947320_f6745b3d90_b.jpg

Nice shots, drum...I was there just yesterday to check out the new Target....the mall was certainly buzzing, in spite of the construction mess...

Nice shots, drum...I was there just yesterday to check out the new Target....the mall was certainly buzzing, in spite of the construction mess...

I didn't find it that busy including Target.

People are taking this mess as normal shopping days and will stop and look at the work from time to time.

Target live up to my expectation and will be bypassing it like I do in the states.

April 14
A number of things I expected to happen are happening.

The existing escalators in the centre area have been removed and should be rebuilt like the new ones. Not sure which direction.

The Bay escalators should be in operation by month end or sooner depending on the railing system for that end.

The escalators for Walmart have just been delivery and put in place with the wrapping still on it. It will be end of May or early June before they are in service.

The existing railings around all the openings are being removed and sent off site to be fix and refurbishing with new stain colour.

The walkway from the north entrance to the centre centre section is now hoarded off to allow realignment of the walkway to match the north entrance.

With the relocation of Watch IT, it and the other vacate stores to the east of it as well the walkway is now horded off. Only Yves Rocher still exist in that area and wonder when they will be relocated so that whole area can be redevelop.

More finishing trim being added to the west skylight area as well the existing columns are being box as square ones.

The expanded food court is supposed to open in August. The list of new retail places is in the retail thread.

You need the original site plan of what store where in the mall as well location as it keeps changing to the point have no idea who are the least batch to leave the mall based on the new vacate stores.

A fair amount of people looking at these changes.
8649616553_6c7ddc4920_b.jpg

8650716282_a968f4104d_b.jpg

8650717516_d1c07d907f_b.jpg

8650713962_16fba604a8_b.jpg

8649614041_5e139702d0_b.jpg

Interesting facts:
- When Square One opened it was the third largest mall in the world,
- It was built in the middle of a hay field,
- Mississauga did not exist yet,
- It cost 44 million to build - half the cost of the latest minor addition.

Square One 1973.
Square One 1973.jpg

Attachments

• Square One 1973.jpg
    Square One 1973.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,495
The anchor store to the west was a Dominion (Metro) grocery store.

No sign of Hwy 403.

Every company involved in building this complex don't exist today.

Riocan is planning something similar in north Oshawa on the Windfield Farms land.

Here are a few updated pics of the progress at Square One taken today.

CAM00027.jpg
CAM00029.jpg
CAM00028.jpg
CAM00030.jpg

Attachments

• CAM00027.jpg
    CAM00027.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,013
  • CAM00029.jpg
    CAM00029.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 966
  • CAM00028.jpg