Toronto The Selby | 165.5m | 50s | Tricon | bKL Architecture

Newest renderings from Cityzen:

http://www.facebook.com/CityzenGroup

481410_10151177862974779_1967445415_n.jpg

12567_10151177862014779_2079810757_n.jpg

74259_10151177857504779_1981955567_n.jpg

12566_10151177857524779_2081319100_n.jpg

The Yonge & Bloor skyline in the far background is misplaced, but the rendering looks terrific. I like how the mechanical room is handled with that setback level. I hope this gets through and turns out well, plus we'll have another great mansion on Sherbourne saved which is always a huge plus in my books.

with all the projects proposed for sherbourne, i believe the removal of the bike lanes on jarvis and putting them here on sherbourne was completely moronic and going to cause more havoc.

jarvis street was much more suitable and wider to accommodate the bike lane.
this street needs to be wider with all the future additional pedestrians and road traffic.

with all the projects proposed for sherbourne, i believe the removal of the bike lanes on jarvis and putting them here on sherbourne was completely moronic and going to cause more havoc.

this street needs to be wider with all the future additional pedestrians and road traffic.

Agreed. Plus it looks so bloody silly.

To add insult to injury, the 5th lane is only used for a couple of hours in the morning & afternoon, the rest of the time the west lane is used for on-street parking reducing the street back to four lanes. The Sherbourne bike lanes are also incomplete and the areas that are complete have turned into parking zones for cars and delivery vehicles. Epic fail.

To add insult to injury, the 5th lane is only used for a couple of hours in the morning & afternoon, the rest of the time the west lane is used for on-street parking reducing the street back to four lanes. The Sherbourne bike lanes are also incomplete and the areas that are complete have turned into parking zones for cars and delivery vehicles. Epic fail.

That's unbelievable. Well, no, not really. Entirely believable. But unbelievable in the 'so outrageous I don't want to believe it' sense.

the only fools who couldn't forsee that happening are Frod, DMW, et al.

jarvis street would have been so much better if the beautification of the centre lane happened ... it would have served multiple purposes - increased foliage to help control CO2, part of it could be used as bike lanes up and down the city on an elevated curb thereby providing some safety for the cyclists too, make Jarvis much more pedestrian and safer for all - pedestrians, cyclists and drivers.

the only fools who couldn't forsee that happening are Frod, DMW, et al.

jarvis street would have been so much better if the beautification of the centre lane happened ... it would have served multiple purposes - increased foliage to help control CO2, part of it could be used as bike lanes up and down the city on an elevated curb thereby providing some safety for the cyclists too, make Jarvis much more pedestrian and safer for all - pedestrians, cyclists and drivers.

There was no option for the beautification of the centre lane, the project was focused on the pedestrian realm by widening and improving sidewalk conditions, improving the Jarvis/Charles/Mt. Pleasant intersection, planting of trees and gardens, sidewalk furniture, improved light fixtures, grand entrance to Allen Gardens off Jarvis, way-finding signage/historic bronze sidewalk inlays etc. I would have taken a beautified destination street over bike lanes, and certainly over what Ford & Co. gave back.

Well, it's red, as opposed to the typical Toronto blue, green and grey condos sprouting up all over the city.

Yeah:cool:....Simply Red In Toronto

592 Sherbourne Street in Toronto is set for a new reddish residential skyscraper, 179 metres tall, that has been designed by bKL Architecture.

The Chicago based architects have been hired by Cityzen Developments to plan the 52-storey building that will stand on a slender rectangular plot next to the completed James Cooper Mansion, a tower a little over half its height. The tower is massed in a similar way to its shorter neighbour responding to the slender site, it's three times wider than it is tall creating a building that from some angles has an impressive height to width ratio.

The red projecting materials that frame the recessed full height glazing and which dominate the cladding of the building are yet to be finalised. The intention is to come up with something different from the shades of green and blue glass that dominate the exteriors of condos in downtown Toronto with options being considered including ceramics or clay. In turn this should make the building stand out from its surroundings visibly, one of the primary intentions of the architect who is aware that many towers in Toronto suffer from a bland exterior
The result is that bKL Architecture is still working to refine the design before it is formally proposed, but early indications are it will be welcomed, if only for its redness.
From the UK's Skyscrapernews.com........http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=3211

Last edited:
"Ceramic or Clay"

Thank you thank you thank you thank you bKL!!!! Could the glassy blue-grey-green deadlock of boredom finally be ending?

Something like this would have been a knockout for the new office building alongside ICE at Southcore.

Last edited:

Back