Toronto Stanley Condominiums | 138.37m | 41s | Tribute | Core Architects

From This Thread:
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/14938-365-Church-(-McGill-Menkes-30s-Wallman)/page11

Urbandreamer:
NE (Can't be so must be NW) Corner Church & Carlton is going to be a Tribute Communities condo tower. (Info via twitter about a week or two ago.)

balenciaga:
thank God, replace that dreadful Main Drug Market with anything. It is cold, boring, and very people unfriendly.
I wish the CIBC building at SW can be restored. Nice building in terrible shape.

Register123:
The NW corner is the ML Gardens.

Urbandreamer:
NE (Can't be so must be NW) Corner Church & Carlton is going to be a Tribute Communities condo tower. (Info via twitter about a week or two ago.)
The NW corner is the ML Gardens.

dttorontogeek:
City Park co-ops. have a lot of gay people living there - a LOT, as does 33 Wood & The Maples apartment complex, Hair of the Dog is a favorate gay hangout then there's Zipperz, but that's on Carlton at Church St. Just sayin' :)

Urbandreamer:
Yeah I meant NE corner. 40s here perhaps?

CanadianNational:
Tribute communities? Very suburban. Not much in their portfolio. What's there looks schlock-ish.
However, they do have RCMI to their credit.

The let down would be to see something we've seen 50+ times all over the city. There's a big drop off in sophistication as one moves north of the CBD. This would be a golden opportunity to build something on the level of Scotia Plaza and extend that big city downtown feel further north. MLG is right next door, so we wouldn't be starting from scratch.

I'm tired of glass too, but wouldn't mind if we got a sizable office building here and eventually another one on the southwest corner. College subway is just a block away. This is a great spot to build office.

won't happen.
Think about it. the financial core hardly stretched east of Yonge st/Victoria st so far, even south of Queen st. Church and Carlton won't have a chance I would say.

won't happen.
Think about it. the financial core hardly stretched east of Yonge st/Victoria st so far, even south of Queen st. Church and Carlton won't have a chance I would say.

Who said the tenant needs to be a financial services company? College Station is just a 3 minute walk to the west so it's closer to the subway than many of the office buildings in the CBD. All office buildings need to be close to the current cluster? Surely you can come up with a better reason than that's where we're usually put them?

Who said the tenant needs to be a financial services company? College Station is just a 3 minute walk to the west so it's closer to the subway than many of the office buildings in the CBD. All office buildings need to be close to the current cluster? Surely you can come up with a better reason than that's where we're usually put them?

I agree with you that office buildings don't have to be close to King/Bay. They should be spreadout to College and Bloor. However for some reason, most new office buildings proposals are still in that small area - more buildings increasingly crowding together.

The city doesn't seem to consider proximity of a subway station to be a rationale. Instead, office buildings are constructed in the so-called southcore south of the railway, all of which are a fair distance from union/St Andrew stn. Personally I would think it makes more sense to extend the CBD eastward toward Church st and to some extend northward toward Dundas/Gerrard. But it doesn't seem to be happening as almost all proposals there are condos, and all new offices are in the old CBD or south of it. Honestly I fail to see the rationale. I would think for example Queen/Church or Dundas/Church is a much better location than say Bremner/York.

CanadianNational:
Tribute communities? Very suburban. Not much in their portfolio. What's there looks schlock-ish.
However, they do have RCMI to their credit.

In terms of their recent condo projects:

-Queen & Portland; ugly but incorporates a good retail portion
-RCMI; looks decent, awaiting execution on cladding to have final judgement

And for upcoming/new projects, "The College", looks great. So I think Tribute is gradually getting their act together on good architecture.

I agree with you that office buildings don't have to be close to King/Bay. They should be spreadout to College and Bloor. However for some reason, most new office buildings proposals are still in that small area - more buildings increasingly crowding together.

The city doesn't seem to consider proximity of a subway station to be a rationale. Instead, office buildings are constructed in the so-called southcore south of the railway, all of which are a fair distance from union/St Andrew stn. Personally I would think it makes more sense to extend the CBD eastward toward Church st and to some extend northward toward Dundas/Gerrard. But it doesn't seem to be happening as almost all proposals there are condos, and all new offices are in the old CBD or south of it. Honestly I fail to see the rationale. I would think for example Queen/Church or Dundas/Church is a much better location than say Bremner/York.

The rationale for the Southcore growth is how handy the area is to Union Station, so it's easy to walk to. The proximity to the Gardiner is attractive too. Finally, Southcore is also close to the existing core and a lot of the companies down there want to be close to each other.

Well, it was only a matter of time before this happened. Between this project and Radio City, on the little streets like Wood and Mutual, this whole area will turn into a traffic nightmare.

Time for me to sell my condo before I lose the city views.

If that includes Zippers, it would be a huge loss for me because that's the only gay dance club left for me. (and I love gay dance clubs) So yeah, it's a big loss. Pretty soon there will be no place left for gay people to have fun.

Pretty soon there will be no place left for gay people to have fun.

From all-people ("straight") bars and gay-friendly places to the variety of gay bars and events in West Queen West, Toronto is hardly lacking. You just have to look outside that several-block radius known as the Village.

If that includes Zippers, it would be a huge loss for me because that's the only gay dance club left for me. (and I love gay dance clubs) So yeah, it's a big loss. Pretty soon there will be no place left for gay people to have fun.

Clubs are businesses that can locate anywhere. Just because the current location is being redeveloped, does not mean it can't relocate - or have a new concept take its place in the community. If it is a successful business, have no doubt that it will continue.

I'm tired of hearing about operating for profit businesses treated like untouchable heritage architecture like the real jerk in riverside and countless other examples!

Back