News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 691     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Hudson's Bay Company

You've obviously never been there since the renovation. The second floor men's stuff is far superior to what it used to be and can go head to head with any US department store.
It seems a lot of people have memory issues. I just did a 2 week east coast trip in the US and the department stores there were full of crappy carpets and walls and poor lighting.
But this is just typical Canadian mentality. We can't admit when we're doing something good and always look down.

The Bay on Queen St. is looking better and better as the renovation progresses. The menswear selection has also improved dramatically. The Bay is now on the same level as a Macy's and Bloomingdales IMO.

With respect to the other Bay locations, people need to be patient. The renovations will take time to complete. But my understanding based on articles I read was that they would be using the proceeds from the sale of Zellers to renovate all of their stores.

You've obviously never been there since the renovation. The second floor men's stuff is far superior to what it used to be and can go head to head with any US department store.
It seems a lot of people have memory issues. I just did a 2 week east coast trip in the US and the department stores there were full of crappy carpets and walls and poor lighting.
But this is just typical Canadian mentality. We can't admit when we're doing something good and always look down.

I am there every day as I go home through there and I am usually there every weekend. So, yes, I have seen it and it isn't any better in my opinion. The women's third floor looks great, but the men's is the same except for the back part on the 2nd floor which is nice and white — and empty. The clothes are the same (not a good thing) with the exception of Topman (which is a big disappointment; but we'll see what happens when the expand it). To say it rivals a Bloomingdales or a Holtz is ridiculous and pulling at some very tiny straws.

Interesting local stuff in bold.

HBC toys with the idea of an IPO

Toronto Star
July 10, 2012
Francine Kopun
Business Reporter

With an apparently improved balance sheet and a new and improved look in flagship stores, could Hudson’s Bay Company be planning an initial public offering?

That’s the question being raised in the fashion press. A WWD.com story published Tuesday says HBC’s owners are looking to cash out, possibly through a public offering in the near future.

“There is nothing on the radar at the moment,” Richard Baker, governor and CEO of HBC told WWD. “But it could come at any time.”

HBC is the parent company of the Bay, Home Outfitters and, in the United States, Lord & Taylor.

In 2011, it was reported that Baker was speaking to bankers about a possible 20 per cent IPO on the Toronto Stock Exchange. The idea died on market volatility.

“I don’t think the time is right for any equity offerings in general. The whole mood of the markets is negative,” said Robert Gibson, head of research for Octagon Capital.

“But if the opportunity comes up and the price is right, it could go.”

Gibson said that an IPO for a retailer like HBC with operations on both sides of the border would likely generate more interest because the retail sector in Canada is about to be shaken up with the arrival of discount retailer Target in 2013.

Jeff Doucette, retail consultant at Field Agent Canada, said it is unclear how much value there is in HBC. As a privately-held company, HBC is not required to publicly report financial results.

“They’ve done a fair bit of turning around. I just don’t know if they’ve turned it around enough,” said Doucette.

“There’s still a lot of Bay stores that look a lot like they always did.”

In the WWD story, HBC president Bonnie Brooks hints at a new retail partner joining the Bay. She says the Toronto Queen Street location is close to signing an agreement for a 20,000-square-foot franchise on the seventh floor.

That is in addition to the TopShop expansion now underway.

“It will be a new fashion and home concept and another franchise for Canada,” Brooks said, declining to provide further details.

Brooks and Baker declined to be interviewed for this story.

Brooks has made major changes to the Queen Street flagship, but the Bay on Bloor Street remains tired-looking. According to WWD, an announcement about an overhaul at the location is expected soon.

Baker also held the door open to U.S. retailers hoping to open up shop in Canada.

“We are talking to other retailers. We have an opportunity to leverage both our real estate and infrastructure. So if you are a retailer and want to come to Canada, we can roll you out much quicker and efficiently. It’s too expensive for many retailers to come into Canada on their own.”

Nordstrom has said it is looking for Canadian real estate and it has been reported that Bloomingdale’s is coming to Canada.

John Williams, a consultant with J.C. Williams Group in Toronto, said Brooks has done a great job turning around the Bay.

“The Bay has become relevant again, which I don’t think it was when she took it over,” he said.

But he said that the Bay is still a department store and there’s not a lot of opportunity for robust, strong, long-term growth in department stores.

HBC was purchased in 2008 for $1.1 billion by NRDC Equity Partners. Lord & Taylor was purchased by NRDC for $1 billion in 2006. Baker is chairman and CEO of NRDC.

Selling Zellers leases for $1.83-billion to U.S. discount retailer Target Corp. purportedly helped clean up the balance sheet at HBC.

According to WWD, HBC has revenues of about $4 billion, excluding the Zellers stores.

According to WWD, costs at the Bay have been cut by significant streamlining of staff and back-of-house integrations across divisions, led by the behind-the-scenes chief operating officer Don Watros.

WWD reports that according to industry estimates, the Bay ran flat or negative comparable-store sales for 20 years until 2010, when it was up 2 per cent. Last year, it was ahead 5 per cent and this year it is tracking at 8 per cent. Lord & Taylor turned around in August 2009, and has since been up 8 to 10 per cent annually.

Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and appreciation, or EBITDA, at HBC has risen from $105 million in 2008 to an expected $450 million in 2012, according to WWD.

Baker told WWD he will spend over $1-billion over the next five years, touching up all 91 Bay stores and 48 Lord & Taylor stores. Much of the money is earmarked for rolling out TopShop franchises inside the Bay stores and other brands, yet to be unveiled.

Brooks also said HBC will launch a new platform with state-of-the-art technology for Lord & Taylor and the Bay and intends to grow the online business 75 per cent in 2012 over 2011.

And as Brooks has pointed out publicly more than once, the portfolio of HBC stores includes vast, prime retail locations across Canada.

HBC owns all of its flagship locations, including Lord & Taylor on Fifth Avenue in New York City and the Bay’s six flagships in Canada.

Interesting that Nordstrom and Topshop have entered into an arrangement in the U.S. that mimics the HBC-Topshop deal in Canada:

The Target-Neiman Marcus Partnership Looks Like a Winner (excerpt)

Jul 16, 2012, 10:45 am EDT | By Will Ashworth, InvestorPlace Contributor

"One day after the Target-Neiman Marcus announcement, Nordstrom (NYSE:JWN) came out with its own bombshell: It’s opening 14 Topshop boutiques within its own stores in September. The British brand known for fast fashion similar to Zara and H&M has three flagship stores in New York, Chicago and Las Vegas, and this partnership will help spread the word as it looks to open more flagship stores.

"Hudson’s Bay Co., which owns both Lord & Taylor and The Bay department stores, has a Topshop boutique within one of its Bay locations in Toronto that’s doing well.

"Stacey Widlitz, president of SW Retail Advisors, believes the Nordstrom partnership is a bigger winner because it gets the 15- to 30-year-old shopper into its stores, potentially turning them into long-term customers. The only problem with this kind of partnership is it’s tied to one specific brand for an extended period of time. If Nordstrom isn’t able to woo those young customers into its stores and the Topshop brand fades, it’s invested a fair bit of capital."

The Bay has also announced that they will be opening a "store" inside Toronto Airport this fall. From the picture it shows only the Bay multi-color products that they're so famous for..

Attachments

• the bay yyz.jpg
    the bay yyz.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 249
The newly expanded Topshop/Topman shop is opening at The Bay Queen St. tomorrow (Thursday). Apparently, it's a "19,000-square-foot store with (its own) stairway access between the 2nd and 3rd levels of The Bay." Opening day bonus: they are "giving away limited-edition totes and hats to all Topman customers who spend $75 or more, while quantities last. Topshop patrons will also get a pouch with purchases of $75 or more while stocks last."

I hope they finally completely renovate almost all the floors at Y & B. They've been saying it every year and it just keeps rolling on. Perhaps they're waiting for One Bloor:)

I hope they finally completely renovate almost all the floors at Y & B. They've been saying it every year and it just keeps rolling on. Perhaps they're waiting for One Bloor:)

I think as has been mentioned on this thread a few times, the Bay is reportedly negotiating to bring Bloomingdale's to Canada, and Yonge and Bloor is reportedly to be one of the locations. That would explain why they are not throwing money at renovations that would just be torn out anyway.

The newly expanded Topshop/Topman shop is opening at The Bay Queen St. tomorrow (Thursday). Apparently, it's a "19,000-square-foot store with (its own) stairway access between the 2nd and 3rd levels of The Bay." Opening day bonus: they are "giving away limited-edition totes and hats to all Topman customers who spend $75 or more, while quantities last. Topshop patrons will also get a pouch with purchases of $75 or more while stocks last."

It will be interesting to see how much traffic these two new shops bring into the store.

It will be interesting to see how much traffic these two new shops (TOPMAN/TOPSHOP bring into the store.

I can't speak for TOPSHOP, but TOPMAN will need to up its game as what they offer isn't at all different from H&M — except for the fact that they are more expensive. They had some nice suits at smaller sizes (hurrah!) but other than that, I'll just go to H&M and get the same stuff. In fact, H&M had way more of a selection where as TOPMAN seems to be stuck in this Aztec-cowboy theme. Their selection was very disappointing. It's nothing like what they have in Europe. Can't speak for the NYC store as I forgot what it was like.

They're rebranding The Bay to Hudson's Bay, but I think the umbrella company will still be Hudson's Bay Company. I could be wrong though.

Back