Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

While I'm all for celebrating the near topping-off of the L-Tower, does anyone else on this forum have a problem with the "visual" of these acrobats seemingly falling off/from the building? It's only been 11 years and those horrible images of people leaping to their deaths are still well-etched in most people's minds. Not sure that this was the best choice to celebrate the tower's near completion. Some of those close-up photos of the acrobats in their poses are too close to home... I like this building and want to celebrate it, but I find some of those images deeply irksome...

Maybe we should shut down the CN Tower EdgeWalk, its participants hang can off the edge of the building suspended by harnesses too. Apparently hanging from a building is offensive now? Not to disrespect those that passed during 9/11, but your comparison is downright nutty.

Oh, and I almost forgot about bungee jumping; I suppose it's in poor taste too.

Last edited:
I went to check out the show, it didn't start until after 7:30 though.
RC8, your pictures turned out nicely, mine though, all turned out rather badly.

Such as they are, here is the best of the lot:

DSCF2225_zps67480761.jpg

DSCF2228_zps38a5e19c.jpg

DSCF2238_zpsfab04549.jpg

Thanks! It actually started quite late. 7:40 or so. I think they may have aimed for 7:30 and started 10 minutes late, or perhaps they went for 7:45 and started a little bit earlier.

The idea noted above never occurred to me until it was mentioned and I see no correlation... but these are trained people safely performing a choreographed ballet against glass for a celebration. It should be enjoyed and I don't think anything more should be made of it.

If the backdrop had been of a circus bigtop (instead of a skyscraper), I too would not have seen any correlation. My comments were in response to static images/poses of the acrobats against said backdrop, not the fluid movements of trained acrobats putting on a show (although upon seeing those static images, I did wonder about the choice of celebratory event...).

NIL OMNI: Didn't stop anyone from making a movie (movies?) and otherwise profit from (or justify public policy through) the formentioned event in a myriad of ways. Now that's the real offense - not some art troupe celebrating the opening of a new tower with an act that has no calculated intent to reference 9/11.AoD

I don't disagree with your comments AoD. I never thought that there was any calculated intent to reference past events (nor did I ever suggest that). Sometimes, however, even in the absence of intent is an unintended (and not particularly desirable) result.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the images of the rehearsal was "The Falling Man" famous photograph of the events of 9/11, but that is because the above images are still-images and not the graceful ballet that motion would convey. Neither person is right or wrong for their feelings, but the wrong happens when one side tries to dictate to the other how to live in the NOW.

Don't think you were accusing me of dictating how to live in the NOW, but if you were I surely never tried to dictate anything, I just questioned the choice of event.

Did you read that out loud before posting it, or has it never occurred to you that you come off as arrogant and rude?

Sorry sMT, you stepped on a nerve with your quick (and frankly not particularly tactful) dismissal of an honest point of view. I bit back. It happens occasionally on this forum. No hard feelings, on my end at any rate...

Maybe we should shut down the CN Tower EdgeWalk, its participants hang can off the edge of the building suspended by harnesses too. Apparently hanging from a building is offensive now? Not to disrespect those that passed during 9/11, but your comparison is downright nutty. Oh, and I almost forgot about bungee jumping; I suppose it's in poor taste too.

Don't be ridiculous, if you honestly can't see the huge distinction between the point I was trying to make and your comment, there's nothing more that I can add.

And now back to the L-Tower and its imminent topping off!

While I'm all for celebrating the near topping-off of the L-Tower, does anyone else on this forum have a problem with the "visual" of these acrobats seemingly falling off/from the building? It's only been 11 years and those horrible images of people leaping to their deaths are still well-etched in most people's minds. Not sure that this was the best choice to celebrate the tower's near completion. Some of those close-up photos of the acrobats in their poses are too close to home... I like this building and want to celebrate it, but I find some of those images deeply irksome...

This is a huge stretch, RELAX. I went to watch the show and it was great and I didn't hear one comment from anyone watching that it was in bad taste. And I spoke to quite a few strangers about the show. Everyone loved it.

It's great to see more of a show for a topping off that includes the public. Sad to hear such negative comments that make no sense.

although I thought the acrobats were neat, this ceremony was way over the top.. why not simply cut a ribbon? too much money is going towards marketing... bubble.

I went to check out the show, it didn't start until after 7:30 though.
RC8, your pictures turned out nicely, mine though, all turned out rather badly.

Judging by the angle of your first pic, you may have been standing just to the right of me.

This is a huge stretch, RELAX. I went to watch the show and it was great and I didn't hear one comment from anyone watching that it was in bad taste. And I spoke to quite a few strangers about the show. Everyone loved it.

It's great to see more of a show for a topping off that includes the public. Sad to hear such negative comments that make no sense.

Well said and I hope it's over now. I spent a little time with the men who work above the Aeriosa performers keeping them safe, working the ropes and keeping the show on track. Really good guys, totally professional and highly skilled. Not a great photo but...

1266.jpg

I uploaded my first ever video to YouTube. I like to say, I hope it's not over the top, but it is.

[video=youtube;VBBrB9h_Hok]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBBrB9h_Hok[/video]

Last edited:

Back