Toronto Yonge & Rich Condominiums | 156.35m | 46s | Great Gulf | a—A

20-26 Lombard and 25 Richmond Street East

Unless Great Gulf is only severing and acquiring part of the site, the lands should include the parking lot at the southeast corner of Richmond and Victoria, all the way east along Richmond to the electrical substation and south to but excluding the brewpub building, and everything east of the brewpub building on Lombard including the abandoned heritage building (ex-Laugh Resort) to the lane. Two offset rectangles, joined in the middle, as it were. It has been owned since 1995 by a Hong Kong investor. 20-26 Lombard and 25 Richmond Street East - 32,400 square feet of land in total.

Lombard.jpg

Attachments

• Lombard.jpg
    Lombard.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 980
If that were the case, you'd think they'd be advertising it on Richmond ( a high traffic street) rather than Lombard (quiet as a dead mouse).

I always forget that pub. I don't know a soul who has been there.

I've been to the pub more times than I care to remember - and it's thriving pretty well. I can't see it closing down.

And as far as I know - the owners have turned down several rather large offers for the place over the last few years.

The block, itself.

It is really quite amazing that nothing has been done with it. I mean, The Bay-Adelaide Centre is one block west, just on the other side of Yonge Street.
I think this is a bit of negative 'east side bias' at work - there's another empty parking lot on Church immediately to the east of this property, and the huge surface parking lot that one of our forum members planned for 'Cathedral Square' is just a block northeast. Plus the empty lots at Church and Shuter.

It's a great piece of property, with the Indigo Condos (one of my long-time favourites), the wonderful historical buildings remaining on site, and ...erm... well, there is that pub, a Spring Rolls and the one and only Goodhandy's at the other end. I wouldn't mind seeing that pub building renovated and cleaned up - it looks like there might be something to it under all that paint.

It is pretty amazing how many surface lots there are in the short distance between Victoria and Church st south of Queen, all of them within 10 minutes walk to King/Bay and Eaton centre. And people say Toronto is a "mature city". The SE corner of Victoria and Richmond, 2 minutes walking to the Bay Flagship store and 1 Queen East, should be considered prime office/hotel space, yet it remains a parking lot for years. Do people really think one step east of Yonge, land suddenly becomes less valuable? Yet Trump hotel awkwardly sits between FCP, Scotiaplaza, BA centre and the future BA center East, with probably no view whatsoever in most suites.

Well, maybe the owners are satisfied with the income they have. Or maybe the ownership is very complex and they can't get agreement to sell. Or maybe there are environmental or other problems that make it economically unfeasable to build here.

But really, this block is has the only surface lots (total: 3) in the area between Victoria and Church, south of Queen.

They have the rendering on billboards on Richmond now. It looks cool, though their slogan "Yonge + Rich (mond)" has to be the zenith (nadir?) of cheesy sales pitchery.

That preview rendering looks great. Takes cues from Context King West (rip) and Monde. It'll be interesting what the massing of this project will be like, considering the expansive parking lots on this block.

Rarely do these buildings ever have the beautiful green grasses they show in the renders. I hope this one actually will!

The one building that actually did was the one on Bloor ! Museum Tower.

Confirmed: It's not by Quadrangle. I think it may be by HP--looks very CKW. Or may be Teeple? Either way, love the way they've increased energy efficiency of the building with the "lattice."

Interestingly, months ago on twitter I suggested they use the "Yonge & Rich" slogan--great play on words. I really should be getting paid for thi$.

Back