News   Mar 28, 2024
 267     0 

Multiple Victims of Shooting in Scarborough

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKS

Member Bio
Reaction score
One person has been confirmed dead in a shooting in Scarborough.

As many as 10 other people have been injured including children.

It all happened just before 11 o'clock on Monday evening, when police responded to an incident they called 'something major' in the Morningside and Lawrence area.

Multiple gunshots were reported at 203 Danzig Street.

Newstalk1010's Mark Carcasole reporting from the scene, says he's heard that 2 were found without vital signs.

Early reports indicated the victims were all attending a house party in what appears to be a townhouse complex on a quiet residential street in Scarborough.

One victim in her 50's was shot in the back and actually made her way several blocks from the scene before calling police.

Police units from across the city have been called to the scene and EMS units from around the GTA have been dispatched.

Toronto EMS alone have confirmed that 6 ambulances have been dispatched to the scene.

We'll have more details as they become available.

http://www.newstalk1010.com/News/localnews/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10404492

Shooting occurrences are up 32% in Toronto this year, and the number of shooting victims is up 41%. They must do a better job of getting illegal guns off the streets.

This is stunning, shocking and absolutely unacceptable in this country. But lets get rid of the long-gun registry in Canada. I think it's good that cities (including Toronto City Council, except our "Mayor" of course who voted against it) and other jurisdictions are voting or moving to join the battle to keep the registry operating and retaining the data. It's certainly not the answer to the gun problem but I think its still a good tool that should not have been discarded.

Scarborough House Party Shooting...A long hot Summer in Toronto?

AKS and JC: I am in Philadelphia visiting relatives and I saw a news report about this on local TV news here and again this is another incident involving gun violence...

Authorities in NYC and Philadelphia recognize that there is a problem with illegal guns obtained in
states with lax gun laws-primarily in the southern US-and glaring loopholes in venues
like some gun shows in which practically anyone can get a firearm...

Some of those guns are no doubt ending up in Canada and in cities like Toronto...

I feel that there is a problem when in some of those states it is easier to get a firearm
then it is to get a Driver's License...

This is looking to be a long hot Summer in many more ways then one...

CITY TV Toronto link:
www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/loc...shooting-at-community-barbecue-in-scarborough

Long Island Mike

Last edited:
For all the money dumped into Canada Border Services Agency since 2001, I want to know just how effective they are at keeping handguns out of the country.

AoD

Update, from The Star:

Scarborough shootings: Two killed, 19 injured as bullets fly at barbecue

A teenage girl and a man in his early 20s are dead and 19 people wounded after bullets flew at a large barbecue party in Scarborough.

“This is the worst incident of gun violence anywhere in North America. It’s very shocking. A lot of innocent people were injured tonight,” Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said at the scene, his voice wavering.

“Tonight’s event is unprecedented. It’s going to be shocking to everyone in Toronto, to everyone in Canada.”

A suspect was hospitalized and is in police custody, Blair said, addressing the media early Tuesday morning. Police are still looking for other suspects.

Hundreds of young people were outdoors at the barbecue outside 193 Danzig St. when gunfire broke out just before 11 p.m. Monday.

Police say the 21 victims, one a toddler under 3, were rushed to emergency rooms across the city.

“Some of them are very young. Very young,” said Tony Iagallo, an EMS spokesperson.

A teenage girl and a man believed to be in his early 20s, were pronounced dead at the scene, Blair said.

Other victims suffered injuries from trampling and were treated in a paramedic bus.

Witnesses in the residential neighbourhood say they heard six or more shots coming from the barbecue on Danzig St., in the Morningside Ave. and Lawrence Ave. E. area

Ambulances, police cruisers and medical buses lined the street as hundreds of people sat outside their homes. Police dogs prowled the area as officers searched for suspects.

Police requested a paramedic bus to hold the less seriously injured victims.

A handgun was recovered nearby.

Claudia Wilson said her 20-year-old daughter was at the barbecue when the shooting took place.

“Suddenly she was dodging bullets over there,” said Wilson, her daughter crying nearby.

“They were all in one place and all of a sudden the shots were fired, no one knows where they came from.”

One woman reportedly hit by a bullet was carrying a baby.

A woman said her 17-year-old niece was shot in the arm and was in one of the medic buses.

Others in the neighbourhood were shocked and frightened by the chaos.

“I came out and there were bodies and stretchers everywhere,” said one woman on the scene.

Victims range in age from infancy to mid-20s, police said.

“This is senseless. This is ridiculous,” said Sharon Reynolds, who has lived her whole life on the street.

Leighton Robinson said his nephew’s girlfriend, in her early 20s, was shot in the arm.

He said he got a call from his niece and she told him about the injury.

She said, “Uncle Leighton, what’s going on?”

Robinson said he’s lived in Toronto since 1970 and thinks things are getting worse in the city.

“Basically it sickens me. . . . It never used to be this way,” he said. “The new players in the game are playing it wrong.”

Renald Mars heard loud bangs, perhaps six or seven, as he was riding his bike past the area. Then he saw police cruisers roaring by.

“I saw that and thought, ‘Wow, this is serious.’ ”

Some people at the scene expressed anger at what they called the slow response time by the police.

There were six shootings in the 43 Division before Monday’s gunfire, Blair said. These are the city’s 27th and 28th homicides of the year.

This is the second time innocent bystanders were wounded in crossfire in recent weeks. On June 2, several bystanders were hit by rogue bullets after a gunman opened fire in a crowded food court at Toronto's Eaton Centre. One man was killed in that incident and another died of his injuries days later.

This is stunning, shocking and absolutely unacceptable in this country. But lets get rid of the long-gun registry in Canada. I think it's good that cities (including Toronto City Council, except our "Mayor" of course who voted against it) and other jurisdictions are voting or moving to join the battle to keep the registry operating and retaining the data. It's certainly not the answer to the gun problem but I think its still a good tool that should not have been discarded.
People willing to shoot others care nothing for your silly list of rifles and shotguns, especially when they don't use long guns to begin with.

A handgun was found at the scene but the chief said more than one firearm was involved.

The shootings taking place in our cities are happening with handguns which are already severely restricted to law enforcement only.

Banning things or making a list stops no crime. Why not just ban murder and be done with it?

Last edited:
I am so saddened this morning with this news. What has happened to the genteel and safe city that I was born and raised in? It is doubly scary for me because this time around, the violence has come a little closer and has really hit a nerve - I know someone who lives on the street where this happened (a work acquaintance and friend) and I know several other work acquaintances living in the immediate surrounding area. Any of these people could have been unlucky passers-by. It's when it gets onto familiar territory that one realizes how very real the situation is.

There will be finger pointing and blame-laying, and for all of that it appears to me that politicians of all stripes have trouble uniting to prevent/cure the increasing gun violence. I am worried and quite upset with this, and I am also shocked. I do not accept that this is a "normal" state of affairs in our large cities.

Love the media using "Scarborough" every chance they get, this happens anywhere else in the city it would have been referred to as the intersection, but of course when it happens here its the entire borough....love the media in this city.

Some people at the scene expressed anger at what they called the slow response time by the police.

I wonder how many of these people are actually cooperating with the police.

I wonder how many of these people are actually cooperating with the police.
I'm also not sure what they expect of police in terms or response time. A few minutes can seem like an eternity sometimes, but they can't beam themselves to the location.

Are they supposed to park at the end of the street any time a group of people congregates to have a barbecue or party? We know how that would go over...

Love the media using "Scarborough" every chance they get, this happens anywhere else in the city it would have been referred to as the intersection, but of course when it happens here its the entire borough....love the media in this city.

Funny, I never heard the Eaton Centre shooting referred to as the Yonge/Dundas shooting or the Little Italy shooting referred to as the College/Montrose shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back