News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
picard-facepalm-hotlink.jpg

So let me reword it: I'd hate for scotia to close ! It's an icon, no matter what they do to the lobby of the AMC theater I doubt it'll ever be as nice.

Scotiabank cinemas is an icon? I never thought I'd live to hear that! Uptown, Eglinton, University etc. were iconic cinemas.

It's a good question. I can't remember the specifics right now but when AMC opened, I remember reading that the regulating body doesn't allow 2 separate theatres within a certain radius of playing the same movies.

It's been that way forever with competing film exhibition companies in Canada, though I never understand how Market Square can get films that are playing at Scotiabank or AMC.

Considering Scotiabank's relationship with Cineplex and their propensity to brand entertainment facilities (Scotiabank Centre Ottawa and the Scotiabank Convention Centre in Niagara Falls) I wouldn't be surprised to see this property rebranded with the Scotiabank name.

It's been that way forever with competing film exhibition companies in Canada, though I never understand how Market Square can get films that are playing at Scotiabank or AMC.

Irrespective of how the 'industry' operates (which I believe had more to do with the exhibitors AMC vs Cineplex in this location) it will be great to have a full selection of full run movies at Yonge & Dundas. When (on the rare occasion) AMC had a big movie there was definitely an impact on the number of people in the building.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cineplex. Oh no!

Cineplex has made waiting for a movie a draining, lousy experience. Their horrible pre-show ad-a-thon is pretty effective deterrent to wanting to see a show in one of their theatres.
I wrote them a letter once about it, saying they should be paying me to be bombarded by all of those ads. They basically wrote back and told me I was being ungrateful and naive - and unless they did this to me, the ticket prices would, with sorrow and weeping and crocodile tears, have to rise.

The thing I enjoyed about AMC and that kept me going back was a the nice quiet leadup to the movie. It allowed you to get ready to see it. Just some background music, a pair of curtains, and some comfy seats. So, by the time the movie started, your brain wasn't crapped out by social engineering flashbombs.

So long, AMC. Thanks for the comfort, while it lasted.

Why would you assume that? The number of commercials and features that usually run before a flick at a Cineplex theatre is ridiculous. Plus there are (or were) those idiotic smartphone app "games", although maybe those have been cancelled - I haven't seen them the last couple of visits.

Does anyone know how this will affect the Ryerson students that use these theatres as lecture halls in the morning? I know Ryerson had an agreement with AMC, will this carry over? I don't want to lose those comfortable class rooms...

Cineplex has made waiting for a movie a draining, lousy experience. Their horrible pre-show ad-a-thon is pretty effective deterrent to wanting to see a show in one of their theatres.
So long, AMC. Thanks for the comfort, while it lasted.

I couldn't agree more.

Just like they wouldn't buy the AMC to close it, they would not buy it to close another theatre. I think you can relax.

And I would not expect much if any money spent by Cineplex on this building, besides signage. They bought the lease to AMC, not the building.

I don't expect much money to be spent on the building either. Look at the poor shape that the Scotiabank Theatre is currently in on the outside. Just awful. The cube that projects out from it hasn't worked properly for years, and the lighting around the outside signage is still broken. They're cheap!

Overpriced tickets, concessions, obnoxious moviegoers (talkers, cell phone users), ads, numerous and overly revealing trailers, bad Hollywood flicks. No thanks - cheaper to go bluray and big screen at home - movies that are compelling enough to worth going to the theatre for is just so few and far in between these days.

AoD

Back